Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 09-10-2005, 10:18 PM

Question paint combo

Ok I'm tired of thinking of this and am trying to decide on what to do. I'm leaning towards silver for body paint color and really prefer the engine bay to be body color, especially with my smoothed firewall, but I also think that if I paint the bottom silver as well it may be a bit of a pain to keep clean and looking good. Any input? Keeping in mind this isn't and never will be a daily driver or rainy day car. Also, I like to have black fender wells.

My question is what do you think would look best?

Silver firewall and inner fenders with black core support, bottom of car, frame, and suspension.

Or

Silver firewall, inner fenders, and bottom of car with black core support, suspension, fender wells.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-11-2005, 12:31 AM

Personally I like all black in the engine bay and a body color on the smooth firewall.
I think the Mule has the perfect look with the all black engine area and firewall. I think it all depends what kind of engine you are putting in. If it is a more plain style engine I suggest black. (I am not saying the mule's engine is plain guys). If you are using a lot of chrome and smoothing the inner fenders and firewall it really does look sharp using the body color.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:57 AM

The motor is a ProCharged '96 LT1 with cast and fabbed aluminum parts, no chrome. I will be filling all unused holes in the inner fenders and core support...so under the hood will be pretty smooth and detailed.

I too love how the Mule looks but then I see Tom Potts' engine bay and think DAMN that looks sweet!!
Old 09-11-2005, 11:32 AM

You could paint the firewall silver down to the toeboard seem and the rest black. I have seen that done quite a few times. As you know I am stuck on this question too.

Mike
Old 09-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Colour really is a very personal thing & I try to not get involved in picking colours for my customers cars. However, being as you're not a customer lol, if I had to paint a silver car, I'd paint all of the bodywork ie outer panels silver with either dark grey metallic SS or Z28 stripes,you know almost a charcoal colour.Full underbody in dark grey metallic, engine compartment/firewall dark grey metallic, rear axle & suspension satin black, front subframe satin black, suspension arms silver & inner fenders satin black. These colour combinations would give a very nice contrast with each other & all of the aluminium parts you intend to fit. The nuts & bolts to hold it all together would be stainless OR, cad plated, again giving a nice contrast to the parts they hold together. Might be nice to paint the centres of the wheels dark grey metallic as well to match it all togther. HTH Oh yeah, silver engine.

Last edited by evilzee28; 09-11-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 AM

Mike, I probably will paint the firewall silver and the bottom black as you said...well that's what I'm thinking tonight!!

evil, thanks for the reply! The only problem I have with it is that I refuse to build a clone and as this was born a base car I just can't put stripes on it...other than that it sounds like a nice well thought out plan!!
Old 09-12-2005, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awr68
Mike, I probably will paint the firewall silver and the bottom black as you said...well that's what I'm thinking tonight!!

evil, thanks for the reply! The only problem I have with it is that I refuse to build a clone and as this was born a base car I just can't put stripes on it...other than that it sounds like a nice well thought out plan!!

Only said about the stripes 'cos I didn't know what model you had. Best of luck with the project, look forward to seeing some pics