Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks great!! How was it to spray the clear??
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70TWO NOVA View Post
Here are some pics of my first real BC/CC paint job on a friends truck. It is kinda intimidating, but youll never know until you try it for yourself. Granted I did have access to a good paint booth i think my first one turned out pretty good.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 PM

Thanks very much for the info ! Much appreciated.

Jim
Old 04-18-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Looks great!! How was it to spray the clear??
Thanks! To be honest i thought spraying the clear was very easy. The entire BC/CC system is much easier to work with, it does take longer than traditional single stage paint jobs since you do have to deal with the flash times between color and clear, plus cleaning the guns multiple times as well, but once its all layed out I liked it much better than single stage. Plus I was able to learn to wet sand which was cool. That turned out good for my fist time I think too.
Iam going to be painting the air bagged truck below tomarrow (my second BC/CC job!) Ill post some pics of the finished product. Thanks again

Here is the color its going to be (GM Arrival Blue);
Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bad4Ya View Post
Now someone else may correct me, but if in a pinch that would be how I would try to tackle your problem.
This is great info!

Since I'm willing to learn, willing to redo, and willing to wetsand and take a few weeks to do it if necessary, I think I'll be ok. I'm still not sure about the clear. That seems to be the sticking point right now. What do you think if I go to spray the color, and just get a shop to clear it? I need a shop to spray some clear on some aluminum hoops after I polish them anyway. Will they spray the clear a panel at a time?

Or can I get away with spraying clear in panels? Or do I just not have the pressure for clear? Can I use a smaller gun and just take longer?

Like I said, I'm willing to sand and buff and go to town if that's what it takes.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:25 AM

I've sprayed two cars in my garage so far, the first one with a little craftsman 30 gallon compressor. Just take your time and prep, prep ,prep. Your'e space can never be too clean. You may want to practice on a spare panel. Use some kind of air filtration for your air compressor and get an HVLP gun. As for the clear, it needs to lay down wet, but not so wet that it runs/drips. This may take a little practice. You will need to wetsand and buff the car out after your'e done. I have always used 3M products (compound and hand glaze) and a high speed buffer with really nice results. I'm not a proffesional and basically taught myself. If I can do it, so can you. It just takes lots of patience and a little research. Good luck!!

Here's some pics

Old 04-20-2008, 10:31 PM

Well I wish I had some cool finished pics of the truck, but there were a series of unfortunate things that lead to the truck not getting done and now needing a respray(not trying to scare anybody thinking of trying this lol) It all started with my base coat gun spitting extremely bad and blotching up the base. I stopped and finished out the base with my clear gun which worked great. Once I went to lay down the clear that gun decided to start spitting as well, and on top of that I added way too much pearl to the clear causing the blue to get way too light. Now iam at the point where I need to respray the base on the cab and start over. (not a huge deal since I did not even start the bed) Unfortunately my friend who owns the truck just wants to go and have somebody do a quick fix job on it so he can sell it! I felt really bad and even offered to buy him another gallon of color and clear and shoot it to make it right, but hes not sure if he wants to. Anyways here are some pics before the pearl and gun sptting disaster!;

Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 AM

Sorry to hear that.The same thing happened to me - that's how I found out how important it was to clean the gun meticulously and replace the gun filters often.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Well, I finally got the truck painted right this time. Bought myself a Sharpe Razor LVLP gun. Worked awsome! Here are some pics of the finished product, let me know what you think.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM

Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 PM

Here is a crappy cell phone pic of it with the 22s and tailgate back on it;