Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM

the main benefit to having enough clear to start with 600 is that the paint will come out much "flatter" the agressive grit really helps make everything level.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:09 AM

Do you start sanding the orange peel after the first coat of clear is on or do you put the second and third coat on then sand?

After sanding an area with orange peel is it difficult to bring that area up with clear again to make it even with the rest of the car or is the whole car sanded?

Sorry guys for the bone headed questions.

Thanks for everyones help.

Ron
1969 Firebird, 4-speed Coupe
Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 AM

if you want a "show car" i would use 3 coats of clear. let it fully cure. bust it open and block it with 600 grit on a hard foam block untill all the texture is gone. grey scotch brite any areas that you didnt 600. then reclear the car with 3-4 more coats of clear. once its cured, you should be able to start with 1000-1500 from there and move up and buff.. i use a really heavy clear like ppgs concepts 2021. 4 coats is more than enough. if you use a thinner clear i still think 4 coats would be enough but ive never tried the thinner clears so im not sure..
Old 08-01-2009, 01:59 AM

Thanks GM and everyone else.

I will need more advice on many more area's of the care in the near future.

Thanks,

Ron
1969 Firebird, 4-speed Coupe
Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 AM

At work we just go at it with 1500 grit by hand. You don't need to go through all the steps other guys say. Just wet sand until the clear is even, as in no black spots or whatever color you are doing. It's hard to explain, the clear will look hazy, it has to be even.

I am curious to see what kind of a difference all the other steps make, anyone have any pics?

Here is a single stage car I did a while back..

Old 08-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Trey --

Great post!

Wet sanding - or "color sanding" - cut and buff... call it whatever.... as I understood it - is just what you said - use fine grit - wet - a little soap in the bucket of water (or squirter) -- and sand until the shiny spots (low spots) are "just" gone.... then buff that bad boy up!!

Nice mirror reflection in that one shot!! Not a ripple - and obviously no orange peels on that paint job!

SO HERE'S the question for you --- you said it was SINGLE STAGE -- so no clear.... how many coats are on there -- and do you think you sanded off at least one of them??
Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 AM

I know they use two coats base and two coats clear but I am not sure about single stage. So I guess two or three coats? I just sweep the shop and detail cars every now and then so I am not sure.

I was told when you cut single stage that you don't want that full haze like you do with clear because you can burn through alot easier.

I don't know how much paint I took off, I would guess after cut and buff you would be at a half to a full coat. I don't know how thick a coat is or how much I take off so I really can't tell you, I am sure someone else that is actually experienced at this knows. I really don't think you take off a whole lot of paint with wet sand

Last edited by TreySmith; 08-01-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 AM

I'll but in here about my experiance with single stage. I'm old school and like SS, depending on the color. As some of the above mentioned spraying several clear coats, then sanding, then more clear, the same applies for SS. Spray several color coats, 600/800, spray more color. I like to mix in about 50% clear to the last couple of coats of color, then do my final cut/buff.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fox View Post
Do you start sanding the orange peel after the first coat of clear is on or do you put the second and third coat on then sand?
After sanding an area with orange peel is it difficult to bring that area up with clear again to make it even with the rest of the car or is the whole car sanded?
Are you spraying the car or someone else? Each painter is different my 3 coats is a different thickness than Mikes, Charlies, Franks, etc. The goal is to apply each coat of primer, color and clear as smooth as you can. You won't see the orange peel until after each layer is dry.

For novice painters the easiest process is the apply 4 - 5 coats of clear. Your 4-5 will be equal to my 3, that way you won't sand through. You will end up using the same amount of clear, but you'll go at it less aggressive because you don't want it to run. Now the hard part let the clear sit for as long as you can the longer the better before sanding. And the best tip I can give "if you don't sand it you don't have to buff it!" Edges, hard to reach areas with a buffer, etc. Unless there is dirt, runs, or other blemishes that you need to get out.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Yeah, try to stay about a half or full inch away from edges. Also make sure you block sand your car before you paint it.