Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Help on adjusting windows

Not necessarily the sexiest topic, however it is becoming more necessary the more I am driving the car, especially long distances with the windows rolled up.

I am getting a lot of wind noise on the drivers and passenger side glass on my 69 camaro. After closer inspection, it appears that the upper part of the glass isn't seated against sitting against the weather stripping at the very top portion. It also appears the glass needs to tilt inward a bit, towards the car. Having never adjusted this before, can anyone offer the points of adjustment necessary to begin this mess? Is is possible to get rid of the wind shear noise completely? It's really getting annoying---any help is greatly appreciated!

Doug
Old 02-06-2010, 01:54 PM

In my experience every little adjustment affects the other. I doubt you can get it to be like a newer car. I have the smoked glass kit and honestly the door glass is made incorrect, major PITA to just get it close. My exhaust noise / drone and the harmonics with a rather rigid car make the wind noise a side note. Last summer I drove a 12 hour stint, when I walked in the house my wife asked why I was yelling.

Project: " Chain Reaction "

A.K.A. " BIG " by wife, biatch in garage.

1969 RS Camaro, L92 T56, Chassisworks sub, Quadra-Link, Bear, Ford 9".
Old 02-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Last summer I drove a 12 hour stint, when I walked in the house my wife asked why I was yelling.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I know exactly what you mean---thought I was deaf when I walked into the house since I never realized how quiet it was compared to the car and all the noise festivities going on inside of it. I think its better with the windows down quite honestly.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 PM

I agree, the smoked glass doesnt fit very well. It looks good but the curvature is wrong. I need to mess with the adjustments one of these days. Mine has a bunch of wind noise as well.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM

There are several determinig factors which need to be clarified before you can proceed with any success. First off if your using new glass, it will never seal as good as the originals and some new glass (depending on the manufacturer) is way off. If your using new aftermarket channels, same deal. And last but certainly not least, the seals. As the old saying goes.... nothing is as good as the original. That's true, but you should be able to adjust your windows to get rid of most of the wind noise. The new seals are great, but any changes to the doors, body, etc plus the passage of time and less accurate tolerances from when these cars were manufactured is working against you.

The door and quarter glass are very adjustable in the top and bottom stops, fore/aft and tilt directions. Allow yourself plenty of time and a few cold ones . You'll be opening and closing the doors and rolling your windows up and down quite a bit. The tilt is controlled by two plates (one towards the front and one to the rear) of the door glass. These plates are part of the front and rear tracks and face towards the sky. You'll see the slots. Moving them in or out will change the tilt. The fore/aft adjustment is controlled by two angled slots around the center of the door in the area of the arm rest. The slots are punched out of the inner door structure and will be facing out. The top stops also can be adjusted to cant the glass for a better fit. You'll be playing for a while so be patient. The quarter glass has the same type of adjustments. The nut and slotted stud at the bottom will control tilt. The number "7" shaped slots control the fore/aft as well as in/out by adjusting the slotted studs. Just remember to make sure you don't over adjust the glass to where it doesn't fit properly against the quarter glass seal.

You may also have to play with the channels themselves and move them in or out to meet the glass better. Keep playing and you'll get a much better seal. Be patient and be sure to mark your original locations before you start so if you get lost, you can go back to square one. It may sound intimidating, but its not too bad, just real time consuming.

Complete Turn-Key Restorations, Customizing & Fabrication
419-523-6900

www.m-w-c-c.com
Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM

my understanding is that there is a limit set on how far the window rolls up. I have a Fisher manual somewhere. I'll look for that page...

Check it out Here
Old 02-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
my understanding is that there is a limit set on how far the window rolls up. I have a Fisher manual somewhere. I'll look for that page...
I think you may be right here. My original glass would only roll up so far and would never seat correctly in the seal because of that reason.
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391864

Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19253
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
there are adjustable stops at the bottom of the track. you can actually take them off and the windows will go up much too far.

If I remember right (which I'm almost positive that do), besides all the track adjustments, there are also two round discs at the front and rear of the glass that help push the bottom of the window against the seal as they get near the top. these use a special tool to remove. in my car they were different size front to back, so I could interchange them and make the front push in tighter than the back

My Camaro has shaved door handles, so this really becomes a PIA when it needs to be done. I thought I had them "close enough", because with 3" pipes going into 2 chamber Flowmasters that have dumps sitting just behind the front seats, wind noise is never an issue

what became an issue, was at the end last year on the Northeast Rod Run, I went into one of those touchless highpressure car washes. BIG MISTAKE!!!

I must have had over 1" of water on my floors I'm going to have to re-address that in the spring. adjusting windows suck!

http://www.northeastrodrun.com/

Last edited by Northeast Rod Run; 02-06-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Thanks guys---guess I will soldier on and dive into it tomorrow and see what happens. My glass is still original on these two windows in question (could stand to be changed, but after reading the fitment issues, perhaps not) and I will see what I can do and try not to get to crazy with it. Maybe I should google the topic once before I start---

Doug
Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie 67 View Post
In my experience every little adjustment affects the other. I doubt you can get it to be like a newer car. I have the smoked glass kit and honestly the door glass is made incorrect, major PITA to just get it close. My exhaust noise / drone and the harmonics with a rather rigid car make the wind noise a side note. Last summer I drove a 12 hour stint, when I walked in the house my wife asked why I was yelling.
This thread is scaring me away from purchasing a smoked glass kit from Frank. I have original glass with scratches I could clean up and add tinting film I guess. So called fitment issues are bumming me out.