Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM

AMD would be my first choice, but not a lot is available yet. I've had pretty good luck with the dynacorn stuff. I'm actually looking at getting an AMD pass quarter as I've heard good things about their quarters in particular.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Supporting Member

AMD should have something in 5-6 months from their own tooling.In meantime they have Dynacorn quarters if you want to try those

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitecustombody View Post
AMD should have something in 5-6 months from their own tooling.In meantime they have Dynacorn quarters if you want to try those
What is the return policy for AMD?

1969 Firebird, 4-speed Coupe

If GOD is for us, then who can be against us!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fox View Post
What is the return policy for AMD?
As long as the part is not modified,cut in any way and you have the box the part came in, they will refund your money and you don't even have to worry about shipping, they will schedule a pick up ,just have the part packed and ready.

I had a customer having problems with Challenger quarters,while they have sold thousands sets of these with countless positive feedback on fitment on many forums,I had them picked up, sold him a set of Goodmark quarters and he's happy. BTW, he is Lat-G member MoparCar.

Usually if they have someone having fitting issues, they want to get that part back and do a close inspection and make sure to fix that flaw on tooling

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 03-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Ron, AMD metal is starting to sound good at this point. Hopefully it's all quality with crisp lines.

Stefan, that's an excellent return policy. Is there a certain time frame a part has to be returned? Did I hear that the AMD is a thicker metal compared to original and after market metal?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Supporting Member

Ron, yes, AMD metal is thicker than OE or other aftermarket metal, as for how mch time before returning, just call AMD direct and ask.Alan Gray is my main contact,talk to him,he's a great guy.

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 PM

Thanks Stefan. I sent AMD an email.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky67 View Post
Have you considered NOS Quarters for your 69 Firebird. You will pay much more than AMD or Taiwan quarters though, but that is another option. I just google a few 69 NOS Firebird quarters. A few places that might have it would be Camaro Specialities. Most of these guys have connections though. here is a google one...http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/ Sorry, never heard of them. Price is rather low. I seen NOS Quarters in Ebay too.

Honestly, it is best to go and look at the sheetmetal before you buy. AMD might say it be 6 months, but in reality it will be much longer. If they are building a new stamping die for these new quarters, then it will take longer.

Jeff
Frank from Prodigy Customs posted in a thread somewhere that back when NOS metal was still available a lot of it didn't fit that great because the dies wore out over time, so just because a part is NOS and came from original dies doesn't mean it will always fit perfect. Just something to consider before shelling out big bucks for NOS metal. I think Frank said in the same post that AMD parts generally fit better than any he has used including the NOS stuff he use to be able to get in the past.

Hopefully AMD will come out with plenty of Firebird parts in the near future.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky67 View Post
Well, it depends when the sheetmetal was stamped.1980 or so. Also is your car perfect. Lot of the cars have been wrecked in the past, so be sure to measure everything about your car. Some were even wrecked at the dealership or before they were shipped. Another thing you have to consider is that AMD might have the same problem. I have a background in sheetmetal stamping from the tool & die industry and it takes lot of runs to get the part into production. Almost every part on my 1967 Camaro has been delayed that was custom made, from various vendors. They would state 6 months, and end being a year. I bought NOS quarters in 2003, sorry AMD didn't exist then. Anyway, only slight adjustment was made to fit the quarters. My friend's dad with over 54 years of experience did the work, and he even used lead on the sail panel seam just like the factory. Majority of these shops now slap bondo up there.
I am pretty confident that AMD quarters will have great fitment and overall finish as the rest of their parts,if you ever had used or seen their parts personally ,you would know

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Stefan, I got an email from Alan Gray from AMD. He said the return policy is 90 days. He did mention 5 to 6 months on the '69 Full Quarters but maybe longer if there is quality problems.

Jeff, yes I have considered NOS quarters but some prices I have seen are high. How do you know if NOS parts are real or not? I would have to see the parts in person before I bought an NOS part. I have waited along time to get to the metal stage of this build so 5 or 6 more months wont hurt if AMD parts are the way to go. AMD is about 2 and half hours from me so a road trip to look at the final product in person could be planned and would also save on shipping cost.