Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanks guys,

The goal is more of a satin black similar to the Camaro on the first post. I am trying to find a good balance that will work on the exterior as well. The main concerns are chalking and grease stains (i.e. hand prints).

I used Kustom shop's hot rod black on a few rigs and on the buggy and they worked welll, but it was not an impressive paint, just cheap paint that I would re-shoot after rockcrawling and beating on the body. Easy rattle can or gun fix after a wash

I like the idea of a matte finish over the smooth black. Alternatively can you shoot clear smooth over black and what woudl be the outcome (glossy)?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM

the sherman williams polane will not chalk or leave prints. has about the same sheen as edp
Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 PM

The SEM Hot Rod Black has been the best to use in my experience. Lays out pretty easy and has a nice satin finish. Test it out on some scrap metal to see how many coats you want to go with. There is a pretty big difference between 2 and 3 coats concerning satin finish. 3 coats give it more of a satin sheen.

It's a pretty good product.

A friend attempted the Hot Rod Flatz and it was really tough to spray because it was very thin and ran pretty easily. Just my experience, though.

Good luck with whatever your choice! Great color choice.
69 Mach I
Yes...Chevys and Fords
Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 AM

New from SPI

Epoxy with uv protection.

As some of you know from the other threads, I have been playing with the UV protection with our epoxy, even though our epoxy (black) has showed us around 5 years life when exposed to the sun where most epoxies die inside of 3 - 6 months, we are making it better!

The black and black only at this point that we made this week has extra UV protection, we still have around 100 gallons of the old batch but that should be gone by middle of next week and we will ship the new. (Quarts will not have for about two months)

I used 1/2 the amount of UV I wanted to but as we go along I will increase, at this point it should last as long as any mid grade SS paint.

You will notice no difference in spraying or drying or handling the epoxy with this addition as I have tested and retested but reason I cut it in half is just to make sure the epoxy is still bullet proof.

I have no plans to add it to the other colors as they are never exposed as an topside paint but our black epoxy has been used as hood strips on cudas and rat rods so the protection was warranted.

[email protected]
404-307-9740 Tech Line (7 days)
706-781-2220 Office
www.gillisrestorations.com
Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr1999 View Post
The SEM Hot Rod Black has been the best to use in my experience. Lays out pretty easy and has a nice satin finish. Test it out on some scrap metal to see how many coats you want to go with. There is a pretty big difference between 2 and 3 coats concerning satin finish. 3 coats give it more of a satin sheen.

It's a pretty good product.

A friend attempted the Hot Rod Flatz and it was really tough to spray because it was very thin and ran pretty easily. Just my experience, though.

Good luck with whatever your choice! Great color choice.
Great product!!!!Listen to the man..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR View Post
New from SPI

Epoxy with uv protection.

As some of you know from the other threads, I have been playing with the UV protection with our epoxy, even though our epoxy (black) has showed us around 5 years life when exposed to the sun where most epoxies die inside of 3 - 6 months, we are making it better!

The black and black only at this point that we made this week has extra UV protection, we still have around 100 gallons of the old batch but that should be gone by middle of next week and we will ship the new. (Quarts will not have for about two months)

I used 1/2 the amount of UV I wanted to but as we go along I will increase, at this point it should last as long as any mid grade SS paint.

You will notice no difference in spraying or drying or handling the epoxy with this addition as I have tested and retested but reason I cut it in half is just to make sure the epoxy is still bullet proof.

I have no plans to add it to the other colors as they are never exposed as an topside paint but our black epoxy has been used as hood strips on cudas and rat rods so the protection was warranted.

[email protected]
404-307-9740 Tech Line (7 days)
706-781-2220 Office
I just started using SPI clear(2020) its a great product.Hands down the best clear I have ever used for my shop!! I just got a sample setup of the epoxy I'll have to try it...Barry are you a rep for SPI?

Last edited by DOOM; 03-26-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Barry are you a rep for SPI?
barry is the owner of SPI. you can call him up any time of the day and talk with him.
Special Thanks To: Rushforth Wheels ; Kore3 ; SC&C
Build Thread : https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ght=widowmaker
Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 PM

Musclerodz, is there anyway you can post a pic? I plan to use as much sherwin williams line as possible.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 AM

You've got plenty of options with semi-gloss black. PPG has their fixed-n-flat 2060 clear that's pre mixed if you wnat to go with base/clear, Finch used it on his Camaro as well as the 'Vette convertible that he floggs.... and every manufacturer has a version of semi-gloss. SUMMIT Racing has their hot rod black and i've used it a bunch. It's single stage urethane and has a great and EVEN (which is the hard part on large surfaces) sheen to it and lays down flat. Like any painting project, the secret to success is prep and air supply mixed with solid technique.

Definitly go with a catalyzed system, however you go. rattle cans and primer wont hold up.

KT.
PTFB, Viking, Holley Performance Products, BFGoodrich, Heatshield Products, Turbonetics, Hellion Turbo Systems,TCI, Dennys driveshafts, Eastwood, Preferredline Media, Summit Racing, Strange Engineering, Forgeline, TMI Products, DBR High Performance, Spectre Performance, Vintage Air, NPD, Digitails, Redline Lumtronix, Dakota Digital, Newport Engineering, Stage 8 fasteners, Industrial Depot, Brian Finch, Grant Salter, and many more Good friends with big hearts.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:20 PM

How difficult is it to keep satin black clean?
Is it worse than a gloss black car?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNH View Post
How difficult is it to keep satin black clean?
Is it worse than a gloss black car?
Almost as bad. I recommend using Top Coat by Ducora.com. It helps keeping dust,dirt,grease,waterspots and fingerprints off. I use it on everything.

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup