Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 PM

Default Best semi-gloss black aerosol paint?

For many years, I used Krylon semi-gloss as the go-to paint for engine bay, chassis, and other parts needing the semi-gloss treatment. It sprayed beautifully, dried fast, and gave the perfect sheen. It was almost impossible to screw it up.
My current need is to paint the taillight panel on my '69 Camaro. It obviously needs to look better than the under hood areas.
The "new" formulation (p/n 51613) of Krylon "satin" black is slightly glossier than the previous formulation, and doesn't spray as smoothly, leaving spatters. I have tried several cans with the same result. The biggest problem though is it is just a bit to shiny.
I read elsewhere that all the paint manufacturers were forced to reformulate due to emissions regulations, etc. Now these sprays don't seem to work as well.
So now what?
Krylon does have "semi-flat", p/n 53565, which is between satin & flat, but I cannot find it locally. And I'm not sure what it looks like.
I really don't want to spend big $$ to paint 2 square feet and wait days for it to arrive, so I am hesitant to go to Eastwood.
I am not historically a Rust-O-leum fan because it used to spray poorly and took forever to dry. Maybe that has changed?

Anybody have a suggestion as to the best product (readily available) to use for this?

Thanks in advance!

Bill
Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM

I've used duplicolor in the past. I like the fact that they have online tutorials, typically make a primer base for there paints and have a good range of color.

I used it to repaint my motorcycle frame and engine - came out real nice.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures tonight.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 PM

I like SEM Trim Black 39143. Nice product.
66 Corvette, Spirit of '66
Project G-Vette
Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 PM

Out here in SoCal I can find the semi-flat", p/n 53565 at Home Depot or Pep Boys That satin looks like S*it

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

this is a very good and inexpensive single stage that dries almost instantly and looks great.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXCEL...item20ce626696
Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 PM

Orchard supply brand semi gloss works great for small parts. For $3 bucks a can it works great. Try it for $3 bucks if you don't like it you didn't lose much.
1971 Camaro
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 PM

Being a Krylon connoisseur for years the newest version of their semi-flat hasn't impressed me. The initial coverage is weak and very susceptible to runs.

X-O Rust Professional satin is another product I've used with good results but it dries and cures slow. I found it at the local Wilco Farm store.

That said I have a can of Duplicolor I'm going to experiment with.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Rick D has the ticket...Sikkens (sp?)

Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 AM

All,
Thanks for your suggestions. Funny how so many people have so many ideas on this.

ADiCarlo... I didn't think of DupliColor. I will see if they have a semi-gloss. Thanks!

65_LS1_T56.... Never tried SEM products. I don't know where to get it. I may have to do further research on this.

intocarss... Interesting that HD carries Krylon out there, but Rustoleum up here. Pep Boys doesn't carry the semi-flat at the few stores I called. I agree the satin is not great. I have a can of Krylon semi-flat coming today from Amazon. I hope it has the right sheen.

tubbed69... Thanks for that suggestion. I would have never thought of E-Bay for paint. Kinda hate to have to mail order every time I need a can or 2 of black. It takes days to get & freight usually ain't cheap.

JB64CHEVELLE... We don't have Orchard Supply up here. I wonder who private labels it for them? Usually 1 of the bigger mfrs that has their own brand(s).

Sieg....I am disappointed you are not impressed with the Krylon Semi-flat. I was hoping that was the answer. I am not one who likes to watch paint dry, so I think the X-O may drive me crazy. I am certain to stick my finger in it like an 8 year old and have to start over.

Ron in SoCal... I didn't know Sikkens comes in aerosol? If it does, maybe I can find that at an auto body supply?

Yesterday I tried Rustoleum Professional & Valspar, both from Lowes. They are not good. Translucent, very thin, and too shiny. I have many cans of black paint to donate to our local homeless graffiti artists....

Keep the suggestions coming if you have found the grail of readily available aerosols.

Thanks!!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 AM

duplicolor engine enamel is available in low gloss and semi gloss. I tend to use a lot of it on small parts when I am not doing a large batch in the paint booth. I also like SEM trim black but is not as readily available and even more expensive. Spray can prices have gotten stupid.

Another option would be to go to your local paint supply store and have a spray can made up of the automotive paint you want to use. Usually about twice the price of a store bought can.