Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 11-21-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Chrome Plating service!

I was just quoted $280 per bumper for re-chrome of my 67 Camaro bumpers. Does this sound crazy to anyone else but me? I almost puked on the guy when he gave me the quote, maybe I should have. My bumpers have no major pitting issues, just need a re-chrome job. I can't help but feel that we get raped in Hawaii, because where else you gonna go.

Lucky I live Hawaii!!!!!!! Anyone want to trade lives?

Last edited by sikryd; 11-22-2006 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:43 PM

For quality work it is a litte high but not bad I pay about 200 to 350 per bumper in Utah for good work, I have had some 99 buck bumpers and the quality of a import well you get a $99.00 bumper, I at any time would rather have a quality oem bumper replated over a new repop, Just my opinion
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kidsnotime
For quality work it is a litte high but not bad I pay about 200 to 350 per bumper in Utah for good work, I have had some 99 buck bumpers and the quality of a import well you get a $99.00 bumper, I at any time would rather have a quality oem bumper replated over a new repop, Just my opinion
Yeah, I spoke to my friend who has this same company do all his chrome work. he said the same thing about the $99 bumper. Looks like I will be driving around for a little while with some what ugly bumpers. Oh Well.....
Old 11-22-2006, 09:19 AM

I just paid 4900 for all the chrome on the C6-57. It is super expesive but it is PERFECT. Absolutely perfect. Sherms's in Sacramento

Rodger
Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 AM

There was a segment on Trucks this weekend where they went through the entire re-chroming process at Advanced Plating in Nashville TN. Trucks was re-chroming the grill on a 50 something truck with some extensive rot. It really is amazing the amount of time and labor needed to correctly re-chrome something to a perfect condition. They had to copper plaet the thing like 4 times - plus all the sanding and buffing between coats. Let alone factor in the Biz costs of all the chemicals, hamat certification, hazwaste disposal costs, etc. You're price in HNL could also be higher due to shipping costs of the materials in from the mainland. If it were a level playing field - sounds like a reasonable cost. JMO

Jim
Old 11-22-2006, 07:38 PM

$280 is a great price if it's a quality job... i was just quoted $400 per bumper for a quality job.... my guess is that EPA or other government agency is leaning on these guys because of all of the chemicals they use and its driving up the price because some just close the doors instead of dealing with the fed agency. fewer shops = higher prices.....
Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Been a while since I looked at this post... I'm still trying to figure out what to do about my bumpers. As for the quality of the work that the chrome place here in Hawaii does, It's not that great from what I hear. So $280 per bumper for substandard work is out. Maybe I'll have them powder coated instead...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
I just paid 4900 for all the chrome on the C6-57. It is super expesive but it is PERFECT. Absolutely perfect. Sherms's in Sacramento

Rodger
i also use sherms they are the best .
Old 09-30-2010, 05:18 AM

Geez, a new bumper doesn't cost that much.. That's the way I went is with a new repro one... new/Repro parts are relatively cheap for 1st gen's so I'm replacing vice refurbishing the chrome on my 69 during the current rebuild.

Derrick

P.S. Just moved from Hawaii. YES, prices and quality are POOR at the best auto places out there. Enjoying the mainland now!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post

Rodger
Sherm's plated my potmetal grille filler for my '70 R/S Z/28 in 2000 and it looks as good today as it did when new.

You are far better off re-plating an original GM bumper than buying a cheap chinese re-pop for all the reasons stated in this thread.Not only are they thin,but it looks like they disc them with 80-grit before flash-chroming them and give them a few years and see what they look like then...

www.buickfunnycar.com
http://www.facebook.com/ingenuebuickfunnycar