Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2019, 12:53 PM

Default MSD6A dying in the heat

did a pretty good heat stress test on my car this weekend - about 2-3 hours of stop and go driving for a cruise event as part of a car show in Saratoga / San Jose CA. Some pretty cool cars showed up - this red Chevelle had a nasty sounding BBC and manual trans and 305's tucked under the back, and the C3 convertible was a L88 car!

In my 71 Camaro w/ 520hp 406 w/ T56. Ran great. Stayed cool water and oil temps 185/205. But at one point the car just cut off clean like a switch - no sputter - would not restart. Pushed to the side of the road and let cool for 10min and fired right up. Did it again 45min later after more driving in the 90's temps and same thing - started up fine after 5-10min cooldown period.
Ironically my buddy and I were talking about roadkill at a stop light when the car died which basically put us right into our own episode of roadkill. Massive irony. Also said something about the car running great with all the traffic during the cruise which I'm sure angered the car Gods - "hey not on my watch pal - boom - ignition dead, see how you like that"!

Could be a coil - running a HEI with unknown set-up. I am going to replace the cap and coil and rotor for good measure. But I suspect the 6A unit. It was super hot to the touch. I run a .045 plug gap btw. Voltage was good at the time - right at 14V, charging system working fine - pretty new 105A powermaster alternator.

So I may move this to the cabin - but I also may junk the 6A and get something more modern. I notice this Pertronix draws maybe 1/3 the amps of the MSD which means it has to run cooler. Anybody running one of these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-510/overview/