User Name
Password

Old 05-30-2019, 01:46 PM

The De-Suttoned 3 link FTW !!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Really? And this guy called himself a shock expert....

I was ready to throw the decoupled unit in the trash until I found out Derhaag motorsports is running a dampened accel link on their TA car. Maybe down the line I'll modify the accel link to the extent that Ver Mulm did and test it on a track day, since it bolts right in place of the standard 3 link bar....it would be nice to have something cushion the "hit" on acceleration....

BTW appreciate the detailed photos on the ICE kit, I'll be purchasing that soon
Old 05-30-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre68 View Post
I was ready to throw the decoupled unit in the trash until I found out Derhaag motorsports is running a dampened accel link on their TA car.
You got any pics of that? Curious how they have it setup.

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
Old 05-30-2019, 04:39 PM

Unfortunately no, can't find pics anywhere. Tony Ave is the one who told me when responding to my question regarding the decoupled 3 link in TA racing:

"It was made illegal at one time and in the meantime it has since sort of been ignored since the systems we use now do not require the dampening, although I believe Derhaag still runs on accel.

Braking stability is much better without it, and i use the accel load in a fashion that the dampener actually hurts performance.

We do not carry any of that stuff anymore
"
Old 05-30-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
The De-Suttoned 3 link FTW !!
Quote:
Really? And this guy called himself a shock expert....
Hopefully you know I am kidding.

When I say "De-Suttoned" I mean that, like Weld and Speedtech did, one has taken the "decoupled" out of the equation and made it a standard 3 link.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 05-30-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Hi Craig, just finished reading this whole thread. I too run Ron's GT rear and front clip. Already read Greg's thread too. I bought this stuff in 2016 thinking it was the holy grail setup for our old cars. This is my punishment for not staying updated with the threads - I miss out on news like this (regarding Ron's stuff). Will follow this thread religiously to see which of his parts you modify or throw out. (I like how Speedtech modified the LCA in Greg's car). I'd like to salvage anything I can, since those clips weren't cheap....

I can't thank you enough for sharing your experience with Ron, as well as all the details of the build.

I already ripped out the decoupled stuff in the rear and switched to a standard 3 link. I've been scanning the entire internet for feedback from people who ACTUALLY run this rear setup. Talked to multiple people, most notably Tony Ave (who has experience with these in Trans Am). He basically said this design isn't as effective as we all think. His words were "braking stability is much better without it" and "weight and handling changes as it wears".

Also found a video of this setup in a customer car, taking a beating. Anyone know who's car that is? Can't imagine many ppl are running it? Curious how it performed, considering the decoupled setup used in past Trans Am cars was wayy bigger and beefier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=t3LCG7Q9nHo
Seeing how much the pinion angle changes relative to the rear axle suspension travel... holy crap. It's dumb luck that the splines didn't pop out of the driveshaft!!

Old 05-30-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Hopefully you know I am kidding.

When I say "De-Suttoned" I mean that, like Weld and Speedtech did, one has taken the "decoupled" out of the equation and made it a standard 3 link.
Lol yes your De-sutton comment made me laugh. I was referring to the previous comment from Craig about having to re-valve everything. I forgot to quote him in my post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frojoe View Post
Seeing how much the pinion angle changes relative to the rear axle suspension travel... holy crap. It's dumb luck that the splines didn't pop out of the driveshaft!!

(in Rons voice) “Don’t worry about the working angles, that’s for street cars, not race cars”
Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD Automotive View Post
Okay, now I know what to resize to. Sucks that I have to process before uploading to FB.

Thanks, 100 degrees in the shop and now I'm working on it...
Start using Tapatalk or whatever it’s called — SO Much easier to upload photo straight up the the post..... Use their “medium” size —

Lat G has always been a POS to upload photos to - and it’s a shame because the forum is all about sharing info and photos speak a 1000 words.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

The ONLY REASON to use this rear end suspension was so Sutton could create dependence.... he was well aware of the type of people he was preying upon.... knew that by selling the most complicated POS he could find on the internet would make you beholden to him.... nobody else around is going to help you... it’s his “M.O.”

Talked to a guy running an arrive and drive operation the other day — telling him the story of the “NOT SAUCE” — the minute I mentioned his name —- the guy raises his hand to stop me — says “I talked to him a couple times — he has no clue what he’s talking about but man can he act like he is all Mister Race” === then we had some good laughs. This guy knew of his race operation — said straight up — that whole thing was nothing but a scam.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregWeld For This Useful Post:
andre68 (05-31-2019)
Old 05-18-2020, 12:57 PM

Have you had any time to work on this one lately?