Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Default L83 for not a lot of money..Worth it?

In my internet travels I have stumbled across an L83 out of a wrecked 2014 silverado..Complete take out, all accesories, ECM/harness, 8K miles for $2500

Question..Is it worth it? I feel like I would be heading into uncharted waters. Theres like 1 thread on LS1tech
LS motors are so over priced right now people are asking $3k for clapped out Ls1s so it seems like a deal for a practically brand new motor.
I guess its more of an engineering challenge and wither or not Im up for it..
Just curious if anyone has attempted anything with a GenV yet
Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM

Decline,
These are a new engine design.. they don't share many parts with the previous GEN IV engines.

It might be a good deal to scoop up now and start installing now in hopes that the aftermarket will start supporting it soon. As of this moment, it's not able to be tuned. It has Gasoline Direct Injection, Variable Vale Timing, and Active Fuel Management. So If you're looking to put a cam in it, or otherwise slap some bolt-ons to it.. you're going to have to wait it out. Big cams mean changing the VVT and AFM out completely (or at least partially). Adding stuff like a different intake manifold (usually to clean up the look because it's going into a retromod--the horsepower gains being a cool bonus) are out, too, because we can't unlock it and tune it yet.

But like I said. If you have the cash now and are going to take a while to get it in and wired and plumbed.. then maybe it's a good fit for you.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsgarage View Post
Decline,
These are a new engine design.. they don't share many parts with the previous GEN IV engines.

It might be a good deal to scoop up now and start installing now in hopes that the aftermarket will start supporting it soon. As of this moment, it's not able to be tuned. It has Gasoline Direct Injection, Variable Vale Timing, and Active Fuel Management. So If you're looking to put a cam in it, or otherwise slap some bolt-ons to it.. you're going to have to wait it out. Big cams mean changing the VVT and AFM out completely (or at least partially). Adding stuff like a different intake manifold (usually to clean up the look because it's going into a retromod--the horsepower gains being a cool bonus) are out, too, because we can't unlock it and tune it yet.

But like I said. If you have the cash now and are going to take a while to get it in and wired and plumbed.. then maybe it's a good fit for you.
Not able to be tuned?? All the new GENV engines are able to be calibrated. HP Tuners already supports - so don't let that stop you.

Cams are available - though not many yet. AFM disable is required with cam swap - again, parts available to do so. Phaser limiters are also available (and possibly needed depending on cam).

Harder issue (not insurmountable) is low pressure fuel pump (in tank) is controlled by FSCM (commanded by ECM) and high pressure pump (engine mounted) is directly controlled by ECM.

Larger injectors are available as well as higher volume high-pressure pump (LT4).

L83 would make a great engine - not saying easiest - but for that price and power potential, not a bad deal.

Just my $0.02.

Dave
Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Speartech makes a conversion harness- http://www.speartech.com/category_s/1836.htm Maybe he could give you some swap advice for the electronic portion of the swap.
Full of DSE and Holley parts
Old 05-28-2015, 12:39 AM

I have been reading a few cam swap threads and articles but you have to go to the truck websites for them.
The hot Internet rumor at the moment is a L83 Silverado that dynod 400rwhp with cams/exhaust/tune

Good point about the fuel system. The fact that the ecm controls it makes it a lot more difficult.
Any thoughts on how to get around this? I doubt if I called spear tech they would divulge their secrets

I hadn't thought of and like the idea of the higher flow injectors and high pressure pump from the LT4
There's probably the same GM legendary Lego like interchangeability of parts similar to the previous generations of small blocks just no one has written the "handbook" yet
Old 05-30-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikels View Post
Not able to be tuned?? All the new GENV engines are able to be calibrated. HP Tuners already supports - so don't let that stop you.

Cams are available - though not many yet. AFM disable is required with cam swap - again, parts available to do so. Phaser limiters are also available (and possibly needed depending on cam).

Harder issue (not insurmountable) is low pressure fuel pump (in tank) is controlled by FSCM (commanded by ECM) and high pressure pump (engine mounted) is directly controlled by ECM.

Larger injectors are available as well as higher volume high-pressure pump (LT4).

L83 would make a great engine - not saying easiest - but for that price and power potential, not a bad deal.

Just my $0.02.

Dave
Dave. Didn't mean to misspeak. HPTuners didn't show compatibility with the new engine and I haven't had the luxury of opening one up yet.

And I did mean that you'd have to add a can phaser when I said partially disabled.

Sorry to scare y'all out of a good motor. Didn't mean to.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:55 PM

I'm under the impression you can disable the fuel controls, and go with a straight pressure pump instead of variable pressure.

Can you go backwards with the computer?

Edit: looks like an x-nay on the backwards compatibility with the computers due to the GDI. But spear techs package is a single pressure pump and a regulated fuel pressure. They're pretty dang pricey for their harness. I feel like I could best that price.

Last edited by cjsgarage; 05-30-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikels View Post

Just my $0.02.

Dave
"cams are available".......have you priced a Gen5 cam? They are made of super hard steel......I think they run over $800.......then you have to decide on high pressure fuel pump lobe profile.......Uhhh.....I think I'd pass on this one but....don't let my attitude deter you........
Old 05-31-2015, 03:20 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s?autoview=SKU

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C606

They are out there..Not exactly cheap at around $500 but new technology never is

Last edited by Decline; 05-31-2015 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 PM

What about getting the whole truck/fuel pump and everything?

You might be able to weld the fuel pump mounting boss into a fuel tank and use the OEM pump. Usually the pump mounts are a metal ring bonded into a plastic tank.

You'd have to make fuel lines and such, but nothing new there.

What if you don't want a cam? I understand it's a truck motor, but it might do just fine with intake and headers if you're just into cruising it around. It's not like new Silverados are slow. They're not fast, but not slow.