Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 PM

This!

I did the karting thing at NOLA motorsports park a couple years ago, and it affected me so stupidly that I went home and bought a race kart (went nowhere/blew up with very little track time/sold). I was shocked to see that NOLA had everything from mini-golf type karts to full-on shifter karts--it's well worth the trip if anyone's in the area.

If weather is permitting, I will definitely do a kart rental somewhere out there. Here's hoping for dry weather in the midst of winter . . . yeah, right.

Still don't get the Chik-fill-a thing. I went to one when I lived in Arkansas (2008?) and wondered why (we do have them out here in CA now). Their corporate values can kiss my rear differential, but really, I just don't understand how they can compete with KFC, which I would prefer any day . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Another thing to do is Karting at Atlanta Motorsports Park

https://atlantamotorsportspark.com/

Road Atlanta is having a ChumpCar Race Feb 7-9 - I'll be there!

BTW, I know a bit about Atlanta as my Ex lives in Peachtree City and my son grew up there. I used to have to travel to Atlanta a few times a year.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 PM

Thanks, Scott--I do intend to do some driving north of the city; trips I've taken through eastern Tennessee are definitely stuck in my mind, relative to the natural scenery available in that region. My goals (aside from different beer/Southern food) don't really lie much in the city, but in the convenience of the location. I'm mostly an outside-of-town kind of guy, too. I live about 12 miles or so from Folsom Prison, but more importantly, just a few miles from Folsom Lake, which is pretty great (with or without water) . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Honestly this is the time of year here where there just isn’t much going on. Spring is totally different here for sure. Check in here, as you mentioned, and somebody here will give you ideas depending on where you are exactly and what kind of mood your in. I’m 4 miles from the largest waterfall east of the Mississippi River. Amicalola Falls State Park. If your up this way, 60 miles north of Atlanta, I’d love to show you the Chevelle. I’m in the mountains, and on a clear day, I can see the city, 60ish miles away.
I love road trips, and I have to admit, I’m jealous!
Old 01-10-2019, 08:53 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
This!

I did the karting thing at NOLA motorsports park a couple years ago, and it affected me so stupidly that I went home and bought a race kart (went nowhere/blew up with very little track time/sold). I was shocked to see that NOLA had everything from mini-golf type karts to full-on shifter karts--it's well worth the trip if anyone's in the area.
Karting is Addicting! It's much easier on the Wallet to rent at NOLA, AMP, etc

Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 PM

I can be at AMP in 10 minutes. They rent karts to the public that go 55 mph. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen, but they have been at it for a few years now, and I haven’t even heard of a single person getting hurt yet. I have a friend who works there, doing setup on the carts to your liking. The entire venue is absolutely world class. We go over ever so often and check out the exotics...lambos, Ferrari’s, etc, that people bring to drive on the track. Karts have their own track obviously. I have another friend who owns a local shop that specializes in building Porsche track cars, and he hates the place because it’s a counter-clockwise track, and most other road courses are clockwise. I asked him why, and he griped about having to change his front end settings on his clients cars, to go to AMP, from Road Atlanta, or other venues. I shook my head and said “first world problems for sure”.
Our city hall here in Dawsonville is the Georgia Racing Hall Of Fame, and has a Race museum that’s actually pretty cool. There’s also a working moonshine still in the building and they even sell Bill Elliott branded shine in there.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
The Following User Says Thank You to Che70velle For This Useful Post:
BMR Sales (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM

I used to travel into Atlanta from 2000-2017. It was part of my sales territory. I spent about 1 week a month in the Atlanta area.

Stay away from 75/85/20/295 freeways during rush hour. They become giant parking lots.

Skip the Varsity.

If you have the time one of the best resturants is in Villa Rica west of Atlanta about 25 miles? off I/20 kind of in the middle of the old part of town. They serve THE best Cajun food east of New Orleans. I don't recall name but it's really worth Googling.

Their is a couple of "6 feet under" resturants that are pretty good.

I'm thinking the Power Tour is going thru the Atlanta area in June. The Power Tour is always a good time.

Summit has a store south of Atlanta and has some cruise ins.

Year One is north of Atlanta that if you ask will give you tour if they aren't too busy. I suspect they have some cruise dates.

The Porsche drive/test track is right near the airport. I haven't been but I have watch them run around the track as I was flying in.

If you are up for a drive the BMW plant tour is worth the time. It's north up in SC.

Stay away from Augusta during the Masters. It's just crazy busy.

Car stuff is a little slow this time of year but gets going early March.

I liked the Atlanta area. Gets a bit warm and humid from June-August.