Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Classifieds > Parts for Sale
User Name
Password

Old 07-27-2021, 08:04 PM

Default SOLD: SPC front lower control arms with Howe balljoints for 64-72 Chevelle

SOLD 12/27

Item Location (City/State): Lodi, CA

Price: $625, would prefer local pickup but will split shipping with buyer

Description:

Working on my car again, and making a few changes...

I have a set of brand new, never installed SPC lower control arms for a 64-72 A-Body. The arms have delrin bushings and the optional SPC progressive rate bump stops are included.

These arms have Howe rebuildable ball joints with Energy Suspension boots installed and are from the latest production from SPC with a proper press fit for the on-size Howe ball joint housings (they were ordered this way.) Some earlier production SPC arms had bores that were made slightly oversize to fit Moog "problem solver" ball joints which have an oversize OD, and if you tried to install the on-size Howe ball joint housing into the earlier arms with a hole sized for the oversized Moog problem solvers, the Howe joints weren't a tight press fit in the arm and they could back out if not tack welded to the arm. No such worries with these.

Note: the Howe ball joints currently have an F/B body studs installed as my ATS spindles have B-body tapers in them (I upgraded from a B-spindle swap many years ago, and bought the ATS spindles with B-body tapers in them so I could install them onto the arms and balljoints I already had rather than having to change ball joints.) If you want to use these with standard A-body ball joint taper spindles, you'll need to swap the studs. Stock height A-body studs are Howe #22480 and run $30/each and are a simple job to swap (or you can go with taller studs if using stock A-body spindles which helps camber gain, roll center, and and bump steer.)

Only reason I'm selling these is I'm modding the upper mount on the frame for a true coilover and am switching to dedicated coilover-only lower arms with a dropped lower mount for my low ride height.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blown353; 12-27-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:25 PM

Bump with a price drop.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:19 PM

Wish you had these for sale last yr.
What are you switching to?
Old 10-19-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerchevelle View Post
Wish you had these for sale last yr.
What are you switching to?
I'm switching to either Global West CTA-42EXT or QA1 lower arms that are made to mount a coilover directly through the spherical bearing without needing a shock-style crossbar and have a dropped lower mount so you can run a longer coilover for decent suspension travel without bottoming out the coilover on bump.

When I bought these arms several years ago I was planning on continuing to run a standard shock/spring, trimming the coils for roughing in the ride height and then using the SPC spring seat shims for fine ride height adjustment and everything would have been fine, but I now plan on modding the frame with a raised upper coilover mount to install a longer coilover for full suspension travel, and will use either the GW CTA-42EXT or QA1 coilover-only lower arms.

The SPC arms will work with coilovers, but you need to add the thick reinforcement plate in the spring pocket and also use a crossbar on the bottom of the coilover, and I don't like the idea of concentrating the weight of the car through the crossbar at the center of the large spring platform in the SPC arm even with the reinforcement plate. The arm was designed for a standard spring which spreads out the load over a larger area near the edges of the spring platform where the platform is the strongest and deflection is the least.

The car currently has a set of Global West CTA-42L (standard spring) arms and double adjustable Varishocks that I'm also going to be selling once I get the frame modded and can remove them. I don't want to remove them yet as then the car is sitting without front suspension and I can’t push it around or out of the shop easily.

I'd have it done by now (or at least be further along) but I'm once again working on someone else's car while mine sits and gathers more dust...
Old 10-19-2021, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

blah blah blah... just get it done.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 10-19-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
blah blah blah... just get it done.
Lol!

As soon as I'm done with this 67 El Camino I'm back on my car... Honest!

I actually did start to work on it about a month ago only to mess up the upper ball joint tapers in my ATS spindles and stop any forward progress... Now I have to machine out the old messed up upper inserts, machine new upper inserts, and shrink fit the new inserts into the spindles with liquid nitrogen.

Speedtech doesn't make the ATS spindles with the ball joint taper inserts anymore and don't have any leftover inserts, so I can't send them in for repair and have to fix them myself. But that's what I get for letting the car sit for 10 years and forgetting what ball joint taper I ordered the spindles in... Went to install my new upper control arms and tried installing a 1.5 in 12 taper stud into a 2.0 in 12 taper spindle... Oops. Should have paid more attention before tightening the nuts. Damage was bad enough a taper reamer wouldn't clean up the spindle, now I've got a mess to fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blown353 For This Useful Post:
camcojb (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 11:10 PM

I’m running the CTA-42EXT setup on the front of my Chevelle and love them. Also running the upper extended travel coil over mounts from Global West. Great stuff.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 10-20-2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
I’m running the CTA-42EXT setup on the front of my Chevelle and love them. Also running the upper extended travel coil over mounts from Global West. Great stuff.
We used the CTA-42EXT arms on my friend's 70 Chevelle and I really like them. We did press out the regular ball joints GW provided and installed Howe tall modular ball joints in them after honing the GW arms for a proper press fit of the ball joint housing (they were a little out of round from welding and *way* too tight on the press fit which caused slight sticking/binding of the Howe ball joints.)

The problem on my application is I ran a b body spindle swap on my car years ago when it was the only real upgrade option, and then upgraded to ATS spindles once they came out-- so I bought the ATS spindles with a B/F body ball joint taper so I could install them without changing my existing arms or ball joints. So now I need new lower arms with the B/F body 2 in 12 taper ball joint studs to fit the spindles. If I buy the QA1 arms that already have modular ball joints all I have to do is buy the correct B/F body studs and install them which takes 5 minutes, but if I buy the GW CTA-42EXT arms I have to press out the provided ball joints, measure the press fit and hone the arms to size if needed, and then press in new ones (either Howe or QA1 since I can get them with an A body housing, stock style B/F body ball joints have a larger housing OD than A body ball joints and need the housings turned down to fit.)

Need to order the new lower arms, fix the spindles, and tack in the upper coilovers mounts so I can mock up the front end, figure out what length coil overs I need, then get those ordered. Then it's time to pull the body off the frame and install the hellwig frame FX kit and fully seam weld the frame and get the Alston torque arm installed. Already have the Fays2 watts link installed, and last year I welded the Miller floater hubs and torque arm mount on the new currie housing.

I've got so many new parts stashed in boxes that I've purchased over the last 11 years while the car has been sitting broken it's not funny...

Last edited by Blown353; 10-20-2021 at 01:10 AM.