Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 08-07-2009, 01:12 PM

i think i need to try this stuff.. sounds too good to be true. how is the hold out (i.e. shrinking, etc)
Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM

You are right the P30 is not cheap, but it is worth every penny.

"SpectraSeal Color Sealer is a premium quality 2K-urethane primer-sealer that utilizes state of the art Ure-Flex™ Technology to provide the ultimate in performance, versatility, and productivity. The P30 system offers seven FPC colors that can be used by themselves or in combination with each other to provide an unlimited color pallet.

SpectraSeal provides the best in gloss holdout, resistance to sand scratch swelling, easy sanding, and does not require the addition of a flex additive for plastic parts repair/refinishing. From underhood topcoats, direct to OEM E-coat, direct-to-metal recommendations, plastic repair process, to typical collision repair scenarios, the P30 system is the most versatile product on the market."

If you are not using this product I recomend a change. IMO

Aaron
Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 PM

well in order for our shop to be under "warranty" we have to use ppg from start to finish. but i think im going to try this product out on my side jobs.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:25 PM

I was patching a quarter panel on a car today. Man, I didn't realize how thick all the paint and primer was, it was about as thick as the metal I was welding in.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Muscle View Post
you need to differentiate between texture and orange peel. texture is what you would see in a new factory car. orange peel will look like... well, the peel of an orange. its a lot worse situation that just texture from spraying.

honestly if the painter is decent there shouldnt be any "orange peel" you may notice a tad bit of texture but look at any factory car, they have texture but are shiney when going down the road and no one complains.. if you have the time to wetsand and polish the entire car then by all means go for the show finish. if you plan on parking at walmart and local diners i wouldnt waste my time. i would make sure the car is super straight before paint, make sure the painter took his time, and denib any trash nibs then drive it. the first time some one door dings your 100hrs worth the sanding and buffing your going to have a heart attack so just make sure its straight and shiney.. show car finishes arent for cars that will be driven everywhere...

what color you go with will also make a difference. red, yellow, white(brighter colors) are going to really hide alot of flaws and imperfections in the clear. darker colors are really going to show them. you just have to decide what level of perfection youre going to be satisified with and go from there. determine whether this is going to be your show car or your baby.. or just a driver for you to enjoy..
Thanks for the information. You guys don't relize how much I have learned from this one thread.

My car is originally Antique Gold. I want to go back with some sort of Gold color. Should a lighter color primer be used with Gold?

I only plan on driving on sunny days and hopefully not get caught in the rain. Leaving my car in the parking lot a Walmart is not an option. I will never leave my car unattended and I will always have one eye on her (do I sound crazy or what?)

Thanks.

1969 Firebird, 4-speed Coupe

If GOD is for us, then who can be against us!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Supporting Member

I'd use gray or buff color primer if going with gold

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM

we always use grey then use what ever value shade sealer the paint calls for. value shade two is almost white and value shad 7 is almost black. you can mix them to acheive what you need..
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 AM

At the moment the car is in black epoxy. Will this have any type of effect on the Gold color?

Stupid question here: will the black epoxy stay on the car and be under the primer when the blocking begins?

I want to have a light Gold color and not a darker bronze color. Anyone have a good Gold color paint codes?

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Supporting Member

yes, most of that black primer will stay,I'd spray a few coats of high build primer for blocking,epoxy does not like beeing blocked and you'll know it when you start sanding on it spraying tintable sealer is also an option,

as for the color,I'd take a trip to your local paint store and check out their color chip books, IIRC,2000 Honda has a very nice candy-like deep gold,it was on their hybrid Insight

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Tintable sealer? Tell me more please.

I have not done any research on Gold paint colors or codes but will start in the near future. I will look into the 2000 Honda color, thanks.

Thanks.