Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 PM

What about your tail panel too? I had to remove mine for the full trunk replacement.
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391864

Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19253
Old 01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

I would make this statement - and not to be mean spirited either.... just saying:

If you have to ask - you can't afford it... 'cause it's all just a GUESSTIMATE... and only a fool would give you a fixed "not to exceed" price... and if they did - it would be to cover EVERY POSSIBLE PROBLEM PLUS SOME ADDITIONAL -- and if you saw that quote - you wouldn't proceed with the work.

This reminds me of the old "Twilight Zone".... you're now entering the land of.... whatever they used to say... There's just no way to know what you're going to get into until they start taking stuff apart.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:10 PM

I would also like to add:

If you don't TRUST the shop doing the work - to do the work on a timely basis - for a "fair" price.... THEN YOU NEED TO FIND A NEW SHOP.

End of story.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

only a fool would give you a fixed "not to exceed" price... and if they did - it would be to cover EVERY POSSIBLE PROBLEM PLUS SOME ADDITIONAL -- and if you saw that quote - you wouldn't proceed with the work.
That is true in some cases, but for a shop that knows these old cars, it is fairly easy to quote hours. A quarter panel replacement is a book hour number. New problems should be quoted as they come up. Giving anyone open time and materials is a receipt for disaster, never do it.

With detailed pictures of my car, and the understanding of the how it would be worked in, Frank at Prodigy gave me a detailed time and material cost breakdown for my paintwork and metalwork. It was done exactly as promised and done WHEN promised. It costs no more to get it done right the first time.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 PM

The way Frank does hes business is Professional!
If a builder cant give you an exact quote upfront, either a couple of things are happening. Ill let you figure that out.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 PM

You could always do it yourself and save the cash for other stuff..... I'm having a great time figuring out how to put together all the sheetmetal on mine. After the initial WTF did I get myself into, it's turning out to be easier than I thought.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM

I was thinking that a better post of this type of question would have been - "my shop has quoted X for X X X X work" - does this seem reasonable and customary for that kind of work. That way - people that have done this work - or had this work done - would have a better idea of the scope of work.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barraza View Post
That is true in some cases, but for a shop that knows these old cars, it is fairly easy to quote hours. A quarter panel replacement is a book hour number. New problems should be quoted as they come up. Giving anyone open time and materials is a receipt for disaster, never do it.

With detailed pictures of my car, and the understanding of the how it would be worked in, Frank at Prodigy gave me a detailed time and material cost breakdown for my paintwork and metalwork. It was done exactly as promised and done WHEN promised. It costs no more to get it done right the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I was thinking that a better post of this type of question would have been - "my shop has quoted X for X X X X work" - does this seem reasonable and customary for that kind of work. That way - people that have done this work - or had this work done - would have a better idea of the scope of work.
I agree that it should be presented as Greg stated. On the other hand there are plenty of shops that can quote to a tee like Frank. You typically can not approach the shop your stating saying " I belong to this forum and they said"
If there not used to doing it or familiar with "that" car any shop is going to estimate to cover there a!!. Almost all my past cars (not present) were quoted up front for work done and they pretty much stayed true to the initial costs. (Were talking basic panel work, wiring, paint etc.) But I went to shops that were familiar with that car or street rod. In the end if your gut says somethings not right...move on.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rstbkt View Post
You could always do it yourself and save the cash for other stuff..... I'm having a great time figuring out how to put together all the sheetmetal on mine. After the initial WTF did I get myself into, it's turning out to be easier than I thought.
I'll second that! I've learned a lot myself with the help of such a great site and great community here on Lateral-g.

I say bail off in it neck deep and do it yourself. There's plenty of people on this site that can walk you through it, but if you prefer to bring it to someone, that's cool too.

Just post plenty of pictures as you go through the build. We like progress photos!
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391864

Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19253
Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDoRun View Post
I'll second that! I've learned a lot myself with the help of such a great site and great community here on Lateral-g.

I say bail off in it neck deep and do it yourself. There's plenty of people on this site that can walk you through it, but if you prefer to bring it to someone, that's cool too.

Just post plenty of pictures as you go through the build. We like progress photos!
I agree jump in neck deep and do it yourself. It might take you allot longer to complete your project but the self gratification is unbeleivable and ther eis plenty of guys & girls on this site that will help you through any problems you may run into.

My project is a 70 nova and I replaced both rear Quarter skins, Outer wheel houses, tail panel and did allot of repair work on some other areas of the car with no previous experience of panel replacement. The pictures people post on this site helped me through every step of my work. Just have to get over the initial fear of doing it yourself.