Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Default New Full Quarters For My '69 Firebird

I know this has been talked about in the past but wanted to put it out there again since I need full quarters for my '69 Firebird.

What company does everyone recommend, Classic Industries, Year One, Goodmark, Dynocorn, etc.

I know at the moment AMD does not produce the Full Quarters for the '69 Firebird but what do you guys think about using the '69 Camaro Full Quarters frome AMD on my Firebird? Would it work?

Thanks for the help.

1969 Firebird, 4-speed Coupe

If GOD is for us, then who can be against us!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM

I got the full quarters for my 68 Firebird from Classic Industries with a 20% off coupon. This was cheaper than picking up at the NPD down the street. Since I haven't installed, I can't say how well they fit, but the driver side looks close by the rough hanging I did a couple weeks ago. I'm sure they all have their issues though unless (even then, maybe) you go find OEM ones.

I know the Camaro panel will have the slits in front of the wheel and will not have the Bird emblem / side marker at the back. As for fitment to rear panel / bumper, no idea.

1968 Pontiac Firebird
1989 Ford Mustang
Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 PM

I talked to AMD and at the moment they have no plans for the '69 Firebird Full Quarter. I hear a lot of people in here speaking highly of the AMD metal being thicker and overall better so the thought of using the '69 Camaro Full Quarter crossed my mind.

Who knows by the time my metal work finally begins AMD may be producing the Full Quarters for the '69 Bird.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fox View Post
Who knows by the time my metal work finally begins AMD may be producing the Full Quarters for the '69 Bird.
Ron,that is true, I was working on 69 Dart GT last year and needed deck filler panel, I talk to guys at AMD just about everyday,sometimes a few times a day,they kept telling me that they were not planning to make them, guess what? I just found out that they had them in stock for few months ,it sucks that I spent probably 4 days fixing the original panel and making patches.

When are you planning on doing the metal work? I will make sure AMD sends me email alert on any updates, I also have 69 Firebird ,hopefully I will start chopping it up in few months

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1979 Firebird LS3,DSE,Baer
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 PM

I am not much of a gear head so I am having my car built. My experienced builder has a nice shop at his residence but only has one and sometimes two helpers in the shop. Not having helpers on a full time basis makes things slowly drag on and on. At the moment I think there are 7 or 8 cars in the shop. 2 or 3 cars are in the assembling stage while the rest of the cars are down to bare bones ready for metal work. About a month ago he asked me if I was ready to get started on metal work so hopefully work will began early this year. So maybe AMD will surprise me with '69 Bird Full Quarters soon!

Please keep me updated on any talk from AMD producing the Full Quarters or any '69 Bird parts. I have bought a few parts but do not plan on buying anymore until I know for certain when the metal stage begins.

I am not aware of the detail process or the financial side of producing certain reproduction panels for different makes and models but sounds like AMD is slowly but surely adding to it's list. Hopefully the Birds list grows in months to come.

Are you currently building your '69 Bird? Any build pics?

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Supporting Member

I have to call AMD today and find out,they are about to release few parts that many E-body guys been waiting for.

The reason why they don't make parts for some of these cars, is because they don't think they will recoup their investment that goes in development and production,so they just try to make parts for the most popular cars.

At the moment my bird sits and waits patiently while I gather all needed parts to make it into one crazy bird,so I don't have build pics.I haven't even started on it and already changed my direction on suspension and body,but it will be something different for sure

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 01-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Supporting Member

Ron, Alan at AMD says that they are planning to make 67,68 and 69 quarters for the Firebird, but it will be about 6-8 months.not sure if that will work for you,but it's good to know they will be made.

Elite Custom Body

1998 Supra APU 6spd
2007 TBSS
1998 GS400TT widebody
1969 Firebird
1938 Dodge LC pickup
Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 PM

Stefan, my builder called me this afternoon and finally came down to my warehouse to pick up the sheet metal parts I have. I bought the drivers side Full Quarter awhile back from Classic Industries but only bought the skin for the passenger side.

I have now decided to put a Full Quarter on the passenger side but not sure if I can wait 6 to 8 months. I wish AMD could make them sooner. Do you think they will be able to make them any sooner?

Do they make the door skins for the '69 Bird?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 PM

Everyone's thoughts please...

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Go with what is available now to keep things moving along. You do not want to wait 6 months to find out there was some delays on the new product and it will be another 6 months.

A bird in the hand.........