Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southview View Post
Upol black satin. Sprays out the can very nice and looks great. Might have to let that Krylon dry in the sun a few days.
Sun? I live in Minnesota. We get that in June & July. Maybe. But I hear you....
Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 PM

Hey from SW Minnesota! I had some fancy VHF semi gloss roll bar paint lift one me and it was a nightmare so I started hunting for better paint too. I found out you have to watch spray cans because some are thinned with thinner and some with acetone and the acetone ones will lift thinner paint every time. The other problem with aerosols is they have crap in them for propellant and to extend shelf life that doesn't do you any favors.

So with that I changed to real paint with a catalyst hardener and found out everything is better about doing it that way over spray cans. I spent some time on hotrodders.com and found out what those guys use for stuff like this and it really works. And the secret weapon is tractor paint...

I found you can get a detail HF paint gun for 15 bucks and a gallon of John Deere semi gloss black tractor paint for $24. Turns out the JD paint looks great and is as tuff as nails too - pretty much just like tractor paint! I have shot both blitz black and semi gloss and like the semi gloss better. It is probably what I am going to paint my entire car with in a few weeks unless I turn over a rock and find 500 bucks for paint.

I got mine at the local JD dealer which where I am I drive by 2 of them every day but you can get it on line too. They do have spray bombs too and it is good stuff also but kind of spendy.

http://www.shopgreendealer.com/John-...3-TY25632.html

I think I still have a panel with blitz and semi gloss shot on it if you want to see a photo.

Last edited by charchri4; 04-23-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charchri4 View Post
Hey from SW Minnesota! I had some fancy VHF semi gloss roll bar paint lift one me and it was a nightmare so I started hunting for better paint too. I found out you have to watch spray cans because some are thinned with thinner and some with acetone and the acetone ones will lift thinner paint every time. The other problem with aerosols is they have crap in them for propellant and to extend shelf life that doesn't do you any favors.

So with that I changed to real paint with a catalyst hardener and found out everything is better about doing it that way over spray cans. I spent some time on hotrodders.com and found out what those guys use for stuff like this and it really works. And the secret weapon is tractor paint...

I found you can get a detail HF paint gun for 15 bucks and a gallon of John Deere semi gloss black tractor paint for $24. Turns out the JD paint looks great and is as tuff as nails too - pretty much just like tractor paint! I have shot both blitz black and semi gloss and like the semi gloss better. It is probably what I am going to paint my entire car with in a few weeks unless I turn over a rock and find 500 bucks for paint.

I got mine at the local JD dealer which where I am I drive by 2 of them every day but you can get it on line too. They do have spray bombs too and it is good stuff also but kind of spendy.

I think I still have a panel with blitz and semi gloss shot on it if you want to see a photo.
I would love to see the difference between the blitz black and the semi gloss. I have sprayed the blitz black just from a can and love it. I plan on leaving a part out in the sun for a month and see how it hold up to the weather.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charchri4 View Post

I don't want to deal with a spray gun & bulk paint. Just too big a mess... or at least the potential for a big mess. I've got a Deere dealer close by, and as long as I'm at it, I'll try the aerosol if they carry it at the dealer. WTH, I have quite a collection, I may as well add 1 more... Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk68 View Post
I would love to see the difference between the blitz black and the semi gloss. I have sprayed the blitz black just from a can and love it. I plan on leaving a part out in the sun for a month and see how it hold up to the weather.
What is "blitz"?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hugger View Post
What is "blitz"?
It is a John Deere color. It is there satin finish
Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 AM

Try VHT epoxy black. Its the perfect shade .
Old 04-24-2014, 02:09 AM

Quote:
I agree completely with your assessment of the Krylon. It was soooo perfect. But I don't think the X-O will work for me. I simply don't have the patience to wait 8 hours for ANYTHING. I will stick my fingers in it or worse yet, try to "carefully" install the taillights while it is still tacky & ruin the job. I know me... it's one of my many shortcomings!
Are we related??

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intocarss View Post
Are we related??
Quite possibly I suppose. Do you also think something on your car will be "just perfect" until it's done, then decide it should be just a little different?
Do you look at new stuff to replace perfectly good stuff you already have?
Do you try 7 shades of black paint to find the perfect sheen, only to find out they are all so close it really doesn't matter? ($80 later).
Do you spend $100 for personalized plates, then decide you want different ones as soon as they arrive?
Then bro, we are related. I think I have lots of "relatives" here. Also on the Corvette Forum...

We having Thanksgiving at your house this year?

Last edited by 69hugger; 04-24-2014 at 05:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Quite possibly I suppose. Do you also think something on your car will be "just perfect" until it's done, then decide it should be just a little different?
Do you look at new stuff to replace perfectly good stuff you already have?
Do you try 7 shades of black paint to find the perfect sheen, only to find out they are all so close it really doesn't matter? ($80 later).
Do you spend $100 for personalized plates, then decide you want different ones as soon as they arrive?
Then bro, we are related. I think I have lots of "relatives" here. Also on the Corvette Forum...

We having Thanksgiving at your house this year?
YUP, AND DINNER IS AT 4 PM

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.