Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 03-06-2009, 01:36 PM

Default 1980 Camaro ~~Pictures~~

I just joined this forum and this is my ride. It's a 1980 camaro that was originally a berlinetta.

I bought it with a 350 already swaped in for the 6 and then I swapped that 350 for a .30 over crate motor with four bolt mains, hyperteutectic pistons, dart iron eagle heads, and a comp cams 268/280 .477/.480 cam. I finished the engine with an edelbrock 600 cfm vacum secondary manual chock carb and a Mallory HEI

It also has hand me down headers, a 2.25 in dual exhaust w/o cats, and a red top Optima battery.

I have had the car for five years and it has always been garaged with a cover on it. It also has 4 wheel disks and 15iich Torque Thrust style wheels w/ radial gt's

The car is in pretty good shape outside and inside as well. I really like the black on red color combo.

I am looking forward to hearing what you guys think. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. I am right now in the process of researching some suspension upgrades. I am leaning toward Hotchiss lowerinsg springs and new shocks, and sway bars.
This summer I also ant to convert the car to manual. Any advice on how to economically do this would be great. I got a quote for a complete 6spd swap from classic motorsports group and it was like four grand...too much for me. If anyone has done a swap in a 2nd gen or knows of one....
Old 03-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Hey,

Welcome to the site. Car looks to be in great shape. Because it was a berlinetta does it have posi? Might want to make that one of your upgrades if not.

What exactly is the playboy emblem on the quarter behind the driver door??

Good luck with the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubss View Post

Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Thanks-

When I bought it someone had already installed a posi and 3.73 gears, so I am all good there. The playboy thing is a starter disable. I takes a small round key under the playboy symbol. I would remove it but then I would have a hole in my car I looked at your car and its really nice. I started with drag ambitions myself, but having a car a car that is quick and can handle is the way I'm trying to go. Over bumps my car rides terribly So suspension is my spring project! What is your set-up?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Default 1980

Sweet! Where did you get the Playboy emblem?
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 PM

Cool car
Old 03-06-2009, 09:58 PM

Well, as you've seen the Camaro just got out of the paint shop. The suspension is stock needing new bushings. The only mod is a set of Lakewood traction bars. The interior does have APC racing seats, GForce 5 point harneses and a Grant steering wheel. I've got a 350 under the hood with World Product heads and a 650 Double pump with Proform main body, Edelbrock Performer intake and Headman headers with 2.5 exaust with Flowmasters. The combination ran a best of 13.15 @ 103mph with a 1.85 60'.

The suspension and wheels come next.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 PM

Nice, just needs to be lowered a little.

If you are bored one weekend, I would pull the engine and paint it and paint the headers.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubss View Post
Over bumps my car rides terribly So suspension is my spring project! What is your set-up?
Nice Camaro !! Looks like a great project !!
Does your suspension feel clunky over bumps in the road ?
Shocks and subframe bushings and leaf spring bushing upgrades will make a huge difference. Bilstien shocks work great on second gens but there are other good brands. For subframe bushings, either poly or aluminum but if your adding subframe connectors, go with aluminum sf bushings.

Paul
Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Koni shocks are great too if you can't afford Bilsteins but I love Bilsteins as well.

I would get in touch with pro-touring f-body <------ they are a sponsor as well as SC&C or even Detroit Speed and Engineering and start looking around and see what they offer and what they recommend. DSE is not cheap though. Even though you are a hard top, I would start bracing the car. pro-touring f-body has under hood braces that will keep the front subframe from flexing so much. You can also change to solid body bushings to get rid of the rubber that is more than likely shot if it has not been replaced. Subframe connectors are a must but only after you have done the subframe bushings and are certain the front subframe is aligned and square. You can simply cut your front coil springs to drop the front and stiffen them up a little bit. It's a budget way to achieve the desired stance that works. Brace the car first, then work on suspension bushings. Welcome to the site. There's never enough second gens here.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Welcome to the site cool ride.