Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-10-2016, 03:20 PM

Default Speedtech's new 3rd Gen Camaro suspension

Hey everyone, more great news! This 91 Camaro RS followed us home a couple months ago...

These cars have a great out of the box performance handling platform, but since we like to play so much, can't leave well enough alone and want to make everything better, we've decided that adding 3rd gen Camaro suspension to our line up was in order. We're anxious to see more of them competing in CAM and the big Pro Touring events, and we've got 3 steps on the R&D board to get things rolling.

Step one is to develop a bolt in performance suspension system including lower front control arms, a better and adjustable front strut, Articulink rear trailing arms, rear coilover conversion, and upgrade it to our better Torque Arm. We're not reinventing the wheel here, just making it much better. Some of these parts are currently already in pre production.

Step 2 is to develop an LS/T56 swap kit. Our RS sports a V6 with a blown head gasket, so naturally it will likely get a 525+ hp LS3 crate engine backed by a T56 Magnum to take it's place.

Step 3 is the real good stuff! For those that want to play with the big boys we'll be developing a new ExtReme front suspension clip that will eliminate the struts and use the same all new suspension found on our new ExtReme 1st and 2nd gen Camaro subframes! This is the most forward thinking and advanced geometry and capabilities available, better than any other Pro Touring suspension currently on the market. Part of the parameters for all ExtReme suspensions is to have a super low ride height, more available suspension travel, fit 315s under the fenders while maintaining 30+ degrees of steering angle, and have geometry that maximizes tire contact on all wheels while cornering.

I found this pic of a nice slammed IROC on the internet. Imagine this stance with 315s tucked underneath all around and a suspension that sticks like a full bore race car. Now this is gonna be cool!

We're pretty excited about this one, tell us what you think!

Old 06-10-2016, 07:43 PM

I'm so ready to have another 3rd gen.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

As I suddenly seem to have some of these around this house I will be watching your development program with interest.
1969 Camaro - Dusty
Old 06-12-2016, 01:12 AM

I had an '84 Trans Am for 19 years, and I miss that car. It would be fun to have another one day, and having a good suspension system available to improve handling and fit wide wheels would be great. I wouldn't prioritize slamming it per se (with just a 1" drop on my car I had enough trouble with speed bumps and curbs) I'd focus on handling like it's on rails with big meats and not compromise the steering.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2016, 02:42 PM

Hey Guys & Gals,

Just chiming in to let everyone know this new 3rd gen F-Body clip has the same optimum geometry & set-up I designed for all of the Speedtech front clips & full chassis. Although each front suspension was optimized for the application, this one is very similar to the 1st & 2nd gen clips.

Video for RSRT Designed Speedtech eXtreme Subframes & Chassis

To watch this In-Depth Video on YouTube ... Click HERE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Speedtech eXtreme Front Subframe & Suspension Package
New Cutting Edge Design Includes:
  • Ron Sutton Race Technology geometry built-in.
  • Strong Box type laser cut and jig welded construction - reduced weight over factory subframe.
  • Special subframe width & shape allowing 315 front tires.
  • Next-Gen ATS 7075 Forged Aluminum Spindles.
  • High-Ackerman steering arms for ATS spindles.
  • C7 heavy duty bearings & hubs.
  • Speedtech high clearance upper & lower tubular control arms
  • Upper control arms feature additional caster adjustability.
  • Control arms powder coated gloss black and fully assembled with Delrin bushings.
  • 3-piece Speedway Engineering sway bar – Choice of rates from 400# to 1300#
  • Sweet racing DUAL POWER rack & pinion steering.
  • Accepts LSX engines with Speedtech fabricated oil pan and motor mounts.
  • Adjustable engine frame stands allows 3/4" fore & aft range.
  • Fully adjustable rear cross member fits all GM transmissions as well as T-56 and TKO.
  • Factory alignment holes offer ease of aligning frame to body and bumpers.
  • Mounting hardware, instructions, and custom alignment specs.
  • Comes bare. Powder coat options available.
  • Built-in tow/tie down hooks eliminate strapping around painted frames.
  • Ridetech single adjustable coil-over shocks, including delrin thrust washers & adjusting wrench.
  • Hypercoil coil-over springs – Wide choice of rates.

Available as Bolt-In Clips for:
67-69 GM F-Bodies Camaros & Firebirds
70-81 GM F-Bodies Camaros & Firebirds/Trans Ams
68-74 GM X-Bodies Novas, Venturas, Skylark & other GM X-Body Cars
and now ... 82-92 3rd gen F-Bodies: Camaros & Firebirds

OPTIONS:
• Powder Coat Subframe – Flat Black
• Powder Coat Subframe – Semi-Gloss Black
• Powder Coat Subframe – Gloss Black
• Powder Coat Subframe – Gun Metal Grey
• Powder Coat Subframe – Silver
• Billet Aluminum Body Mount Set
• Engine Bay Round Tube Chassis Down Bar Supports
• Double Joint Steering Shaft Kit
• LSx Engine Adapter Plates
• Speedtech 1 7/8" LSx Headers, Mill Finish
• Speedtech LSx 1 7/8" Headers, Show Polished Finish
• Ron Sutton Tailored Suspension Tech Service #40STP
• Ron Sutton Tailored Brake Tech Service #29
• Ron Sutton Secret Sauce Digressive Track-Star Valving added to Ridetech Single Adj Shocks
• Ridetech Triple Adj Shocks w/Digressive Track-Star Valving
• JRI Shocks w/Digressive Track-Star Valving in Single, double or triple adjustable

For more information ... OR To Place Your Order ... Contact Ron Sutton Race Technology:
Phone: (916) 834-8051
Email: [email protected]
Address: 11374 Amalgam Way, Suite K, Gold River, CA 95670

Old 06-12-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James OLC View Post
As I suddenly seem to have some of these around this house I will be watching your development program with interest.

Hey James,

The geometry on this clip is in line with my TA2 race clip, except the Speedtech clip puts the roll center in the optimum spot regardless of how much you travel the front end. This is the first time I've achieved this ... so this clip would work awesome for any setup a person chooses. So if someone runs a stiff spring set-up & only travels the front end around an inch ... the roll center is at 2" above ground, which is optimum for that setup. If they high travel the front end ... say 3" ... with soft springs & a larger sway bar ... the roll center is at ground level ... again, optimum for that setup. in moderate travel ... around 2" ... the RC is at 1" - perfect.

The dual power Sweet rack will handle the load from the high grip suspension & 315 front tires (TW200 or slicks) with ease. No rebuilt $300 OEM racks here. This puppy cost almost $1000, but it is built to take the loads we're creating these days.

I forget if you have my AutoX-Star or Track-Star valved Ridetech shocks on the OLC Camaro. But these clips are available with my Track-Star "secret sauce" digressive valved shocks in single or triple adjustable.

* Quick side note: On Friday May 27th, I went shock testing with a championship GT team that races in the Western Endurance GT car series at Buttonwillow (because it's a bumpy track - perfect for shock testing). They ran a best of 1:49.9 with their Bilstein race shocks. Then ran a best of 1:46.8 ... 3.1 seconds quicker ... my Track-Star valved Ridetech triples. The driver couldn't believe the grip increase. These are the same shocks I make available to the Pro-Touring world, and are optional on this Speedtech clip.

All the geometry on this Speedtech ExtReme front clip is spot on:
* Roll Center location & dynamic migration - Optimum grip
* Bump steer changes only .001" in 3" travel
* Anti-dive is 40% - allowing us to run softer springs & still achieve a low roll angle
* Ackerman is 100% - Creating optimum slip angle on inside front tire
* Dynamic Camber/Caster creates optimum contact patches on BOTH front tires
* Jacking effect is Nil - allowing softer springs & still achieve a low roll angle
* Front Sway bar rate range is from 400# to over 3000#

This would be extremely racy for your new 3rd gen.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanks Ron - we can chat more (I owe you a call as it is).

The '89 has been evolving well but the last weekend out was a tad cold and wet:

This should be a fun week though, I sourced a hood, fenders, and quarter panels from an IROC series car - they should finally be here this week (along with a new set of Toyo RR tires).

Suspension is about "maxed" out for the "stock" design so I am always looking at new options.
1969 Camaro - Dusty
Old 06-13-2016, 10:02 AM

Thanks for chiming in Ron!

That's a pretty sweet sleeper there Tuske! I think another should definitely be on the build list!

Looks like fun James! "Suspension is about "maxed" out for the "stock" design so I am always looking at new options." We anticipate being able to help with that!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 AM

I'm all in. I keep going back and forth on selling mine, but maybe with the right set of parts I would be willing to hang onto it.

LS1 Brakes|Wilwood Prop Valve|LS1 Master Cylinder|Aluminum Driveshaft|LS1 3.42 Rearend|Adj PHB|Adj LCA|LCARB|Koni Struts|Koni Shocks|Adj Caster/Camber Plates|STB|10 Spoke SS Wheels|PHB Relo Kit|Adj TA|SFC|ARAP Based Prom|B&M Short Shifter|Underdrive Pullies|SMOG!|AIR!|Rag Joint!|Magnaflow|Ported Plenum|Misc Stuff
Old 06-15-2016, 11:15 AM

I love mine but most of my suspension work has been done for a while. Im usually top 5 in raw times at the local autocrosses so I feel like the car works really well.

1. Ground clearance with big exhaust is a pain on these cars. Thats because of the transmission crossmember. I have an old Skulte piece that has clearance for duals, but he doesnt make them anymore. Until Holley's new LS swap crossmember, there isnt much available (I think Hawks has some flimsy looking piece) in terms of off the shelf crossmembers with decent dual exhaust clearance. Check out Holley's piece and see if you guys can do something like that. It's a niche in the market that i think gets ignored. Everyone makes these huge square tube crossmembers that hang WAAAAY too low. Obviously you'd need different ones for a T56 or a T5 or a 700r4 vs a LS 4l60e, but I just feel lik ethat's something all the normal performance parts fabricators totally ignore.

2. And my pet issue, it'd be cool to have a crossmember like that with a torque arm mount packaged on it. Or perhaps some sort of standalone torque arm crossmember that isnt super short. I avoid the super short ones for the handling stuff... I'd rather it not get upset on front-rear weight transfers. Im not sure if your crossmember has a torque arm mount or not, yet.

There are some obscure but very effective suspension modifications that tweak the roll centers and roll axis that have enormous benefits in car stability. I woudlnt call it maxed out. I'd call it pretty flawed, actually, but it has a lot of potential. Note that the fourth gens with their SLA front suspension dont have major transition stability problems even though they have the same rear suspension.

Quote:
Ron Sutton Race Technology geometry built-in.
Strong Box type laser cut and jig welded construction - reduced weight over factory subframe.
Special subframe width & shape allowing 315 front tires.
Next-Gen ATS 7075 Forged Aluminum Spindles.
High-Ackerman steering arms for ATS spindles.
C7 heavy duty bearings & hubs.
Speedtech high clearance upper & lower tubular control arms
Upper control arms feature additional caster adjustability.
Control arms powder coated gloss black and fully assembled with Delrin bushings.
3-piece Speedway Engineering sway bar – Choice of rates from 400# to 1300#
Sweet racing DUAL POWER rack & pinion steering.
Accepts LSX engines with Speedtech fabricated oil pan and motor mounts.
Adjustable engine frame stands allows 3/4" fore & aft range.
Fully adjustable rear cross member fits all GM transmissions as well as T-56 and TKO.
Factory alignment holes offer ease of aligning frame to body and bumpers.
Mounting hardware, instructions, and custom alignment specs.
Comes bare. Powder coat options available.
Built-in tow/tie down hooks eliminate strapping around painted frames.
Ridetech single adjustable coil-over shocks, including delrin thrust washers & adjusting wrench.
Hypercoil coil-over springs – Wide choice of rates.
Im eagerly awaiting to see how much of this you guys can implement. There have been a lot of us waiting for a decent fast ratio, decent turn radius power rack setup for these cars! Not sure if a full front subframe is really a possibility given how these cars are put together...

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 06-15-2016 at 11:53 AM.