User Name
Password

Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
Ok so after this I will shut up.

One thing I didn't include.

We rated projects A, B, C, D and E. The ratings helped determine risk.

"A" projects. No risk to us or the customer. Basically the same as other projects. Reduced margins because they could be turned out quickly with little chance of complications.

"B" projects. Low risk. Typically minor changes to a previous build. Sometimes a new customer. Standard margins.

"C" projects. Custom builds with known components but per customer specs required additional design time along with increased debug time. Slightly higher margin in the price build up. About 2-3%.

"D" projects. Here's where it get's a bit intense and really needs close review by the builder and the customer. Many new components. Many new design ideas. Extended delivery times based on new design and debug time. Again increased margins to cover (hopefully) the unknowns.

"E" projects. We just say no in the best possible way. If the customer offers more money but the project scope doesn't change again the answer is no. I can't stress that enough, don't be tempted with more money it could kill your business and even worse create a very unhappy customer.

On all C and D projects we had staff meetings twice a week if needed to review those projects. That meeting included engineering, production and service. As sales people we were expected to bring the best information to the meeting. Customers were invited to attend to help determine the best solution. So of the best projects were when the customer was very engaged.

I hope I don't come off a as a "I know everything" about machine building. Just want to pass on what has worked for me in the past.

Again I hope this helps bot the customer and the builder.
I feel like all pro-touring cars fall into the C, D, and E categories...

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Old 10-12-2018, 05:55 PM

The cool thing about a great C or D project is that it in the future they could be A and B projects.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 PM

Not in the pro-touring world. Custom is what makes this hobby like crack cocaine. ha
GregWeld (10-13-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Mario,

I am truly sorry for your troubles. I don't know you and I am not really familiar with your project, but you did post about the Dominator ECU issues that you were having.

When I heard that the shop wanted to install a separate MSD box to retard the timing during start-up, I immediately knew you were dealing with people who don't have a single clue about Holley EFI, or EFI in general. It was clearly obvious that they didn't install the distributor correctly and didn't do the proper phasing procedure to validate actual timing at the balancer. Clueless...

Hell, I have my Cougar for sale for $19K...I can get in it and drive it anywhere at the drop of a hat. It's not perfect, but it is dead nuts reliable and gets looks everywhere I take it. Everything on the car WORKS. I'd be happy to deliver it to your door for Thanksgiving. My wife and I are heading to WI to visit her family for Thanksgiving.

Best of luck with getting your car sorted out!!!

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel
Old 10-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Mario,

I am truly sorry for your troubles. I don't know you and I am not really familiar with your project, but you did post about the Dominator ECU issues that you were having.

When I heard that the shop wanted to install a separate MSD box to retard the timing during start-up, I immediately knew you were dealing with people who don't have a single clue about Holley EFI, or EFI in general. It was clearly obvious that they didn't install the distributor correctly and didn't do the proper phasing procedure to validate actual timing at the balancer. Clueless...

Hell, I have my Cougar for sale for $19K...I can get in it and drive it anywhere at the drop of a hat. It's not perfect, but it is dead nuts reliable and gets looks everywhere I take it. Everything on the car WORKS. I'd be happy to deliver it to your door for Thanksgiving. My wife and I are heading to WI to visit her family for Thanksgiving.

Best of luck with getting your car sorted out!!!

Andrew
Thank You Andrew. It's all good. At the end of the day it's a big lesson learned for me . But it's going to be an even bigger lesson learned for BBT. I just okayed the first letter to be sent out today, outlining how it's going to work to correct the problems with the car. And it won't be repaired by BBT. That's the simple version. Will see what happens next. What really sucks is the car is going to be in the next issue of Chevy High Performance . Kind of bitter sweet but that's just the way it's been with this build. Stay Tune
The Following User Says Thank You to DOOM For This Useful Post:
Spiffav8 (11-05-2019)