Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
There's a very well know builder that's a sponsor on here that I've heard about an issue with from a member on another forum I belong to. In short the builder built a frame for a customer. The customer sat on the frame for about a year and his project went south, so he had to sell it. The frame was never installed, modified in anyway or painted/powder coated, etc. the new buyer then tries to put the chassis under the car and the tolerances are off in certain areas by about .25"-.5" in those places. New buyer calls up builder and builder is basically gives him the, "What do you want me to do about it...!!" type of attitude. Although not the original buyer, I still think it is a bunch of crap to not honor your work after selling a $20k chassis. The new buyer had to do lots more work to get it to fit. I read his posts and of course I had to know which builder it was...it floored me when he told me. I was shocked. He even sent me pics. It's not so much the fact that the spec's were off...i get it, it happens. But, the refusal to fix it was the wrong in my eyes. The new buyer had the original receipt, all paperwork and everything and said builder wasn't trying to hear it.
Trying to get warranty coverage on a second hand anything is a pipe dream imho. That is the chance you take buying used parts at a discount. And yes, it was a used part imho....

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 09-10-2018 at 08:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (09-12-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
There's a very well know builder that's a sponsor on here that I've heard about an issue with from a member on another forum I belong to. In short the builder built a frame for a customer. The customer sat on the frame for about a year and his project went south, so he had to sell it. The frame was never installed, modified in anyway or painted/powder coated, etc. the new buyer then tries to put the chassis under the car and the tolerances are off in certain areas by about .25"-.5" in those places. New buyer calls up builder and builder is basically gives him the, "What do you want me to do about it...!!" type of attitude. Although not the original buyer, I still think it is a bunch of crap to not honor your work after selling a $20k chassis. The new buyer had to do lots more work to get it to fit. I read his posts and of course I had to know which builder it was...it floored me when he told me. I was shocked. He even sent me pics. It's not so much the fact that the spec's were off...i get it, it happens. But, the refusal to fix it was the wrong in my eyes. The new buyer had the original receipt, all paperwork and everything and said builder wasn't trying to hear it.
None of that surprises me Marcus. Just venting my frustration . I really don't want to turn this into a bash fest it's just not worth it .
Old 09-10-2018, 10:03 AM

I can understand the vendor's stance as well. How does he know if the frame was compromised in some way. Same with an engine and almost everything else on a car. It could've been abused, started with no oil, bent, etc..
Old 09-10-2018, 10:08 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

been my personal opinion that 2nd Hand parts are Used and therefore no warranty should be expected.
The Following User Says Thank You to BMR Sales For This Useful Post:
GregWeld (09-12-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 AM

I thought about the 2nd hand stuff too...

Old 09-10-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
been my personal opinion that 2nd Hand parts are Used and therefore no warranty should be expected.
I would agree to some extent. we have had customers buy product from Craigslist or where ever and be missing hardware or have questions we will gladly help them out. back in the day when before purchased Speedtech there were a bunch of control arm that got manufactured incorrectly and we replaced those damn things for 5 years!! as they continued to trickle in i think we replaced 30 sets of control arms we didn't even make them! WE ARE DONE NOW!! lol If the parts are "second hand" but still in the box say we would not do a return of the item, but would help out if need be. The frame thing...... that is a little tougher call but i think at the very least one would want to try and provide a solution?? either way it still has your name on it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blake Foster For This Useful Post:
96z28ss (09-14-2018), GregWeld (09-12-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
I would agree to some extent. we have had customers buy product from Craigslist or where ever and be missing hardware or have questions we will gladly help them out. back in the day when before purchased Speedtech there were a bunch of control arm that got manufactured incorrectly and we replaced those damn things for 5 years!! as they continued to trickle in i think we replaced 30 sets of control arms we didn't even make them! WE ARE DONE NOW!! lol If the parts are "second hand" but still in the box say we would not do a return of the item, but would help out if need be. The frame thing...... that is a little tougher call but i think at the very least one would want to try and provide a solution?? either way it still has your name on it
Well spoken from someone who provides exceptional customer experience. That's all I was trying to say or get at. At least TRY and provide some sort of solution or amicable agreement. Just don't be like beat it...scram. That's my opinion.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Ego gets in the way of most these situations. Builder thinks he can do it because his ego sais yes. Instead of providing a proper assessment of what can be done and costs involved, it gets short sided to get the gig, and then gets in a hornets nest when reality shows up. 45 shirt and 1 hat syndrome. IMO.

I'm hoping you get things resolved.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Adams View Post
Ego gets in the way of most these situations. Builder thinks he can do it because his ego sais yes. Instead of providing a proper assessment of what can be done and costs involved, it gets short sided to get the gig, and then gets in a hornets nest when reality shows up. 45 shirt and 1 hat syndrome. IMO.

I'm hoping you get things resolved.
Yep, and many times they know the trap they are setting, but aren't forthright as they feel the job may never procure. Construction is no different.
glassman (09-13-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Yep, and many times they know the trap they are setting, but aren't forthright as they feel the job may never procure. Construction is no different.
It's straight up lying the way is see it, I don't own a shop, have worked in one and managed one, If I can't do something I either say I can't fkn do it! or find advice like the guys on here that may be able to. What is up with all the half ass shops, How the hell can they charge for **** that isn't fixed,, I am amazed.