User Name
Password

Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
Good news, for you.

I ended up going with Chevron... down 4.5% now, but they'll turn around.

My curiosity sits at why you chose conoco out of the group? What did you see "different" than the others?

alternatively.. would news like this "spark" a purchase? since you are knowing its going to split in the near short term?
COP has a better dividend than CVX or XOM.... has better 3 year total return... and a very good 5 year TR.... and they have the split going for them.

The other two did NOT have that.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 AM

I missed your other question and think that it is the most relevent to Investing 102

You asked would a split event like this spark buying interest? Meaning - would the announcement of a split in a stock or some other big news event cause me to buy a stock?

I buy on the fundamentals ONLY.... and if there's a split... or a buyout... or some other "news" then it's just a freebie. Usually -- if I already own the stock and have for at least a year and one day (LTCG's) I will SELL half of the holding if I see a big run up. I can always buy back in.

The fundamentals of COP looked better in comparison to CVX and XOM...
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 AM

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Nice pick.

For whatever reason, when i was doing my comparisons for which of the oil stocks i would buy, that one didnt even get on my list. doh.

So, that brings me to another question... Since most "investing 102" people dont know the "entire market" we are looking to get in, where is a good place to find this info?

If i recall, i just went to schwab and looked at one of the pages (likely, for CVX) and it showed similar companies or something like that. In which I wrote down/researched XOM, BP and RDSA (and of course, CVX). I ended up with CVX due to hits mediocre dividend (compared to the other 3, it was the 3rd on the scale), but its overall higher returns in the 1/3/5/10 year marks.

So somewhere along the line, I "missed" the "competitors" to research.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM

One place this thread has turned me onto is Seeking Alpha. I'm inundated with emails on prospects as well as articles on my current positions. But I do take everything with a grain of salt, and love reading the comments on the articles. Lots, if not to much info, but it gives me ideas and positions I can research and get a feel for. Then I can make a more informed decision based on facts and if I feel comfortable with that position.

Project: " Chain Reaction "

A.K.A. " BIG " by wife, biatch in garage.

1969 RS Camaro, L92 T56, Chassisworks sub, Quadra-Link, Bear, Ford 9".
Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie 67 View Post
One place this thread has turned me onto is Seeking Alpha. I'm inundated with emails on prospects as well as articles on my current positions. But I do take everything with a grain of salt, and love reading the comments on the articles. Lots, if not to much info, but it gives me ideas and positions I can research and get a feel for. Then I can make a more informed decision based on facts and if I feel comfortable with that position.
Same here...

I setup my "roth" portfolio on there, as its easier to track the days ups/downs. I also setup a "watch" list. Where anytime i hear someone talking about a good "dividend" company, i toss it on there, for future review.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie 67 View Post

You can go into Seeking Alpha and select what emails you receive.... I only get the Dividend Investor stuff....
Old 04-06-2012, 01:12 PM

I just ran across this, and not sure how "helpful" it really is.. but seems it would be pretty important..

David Fish, on Seekingalpha has a "U.S. Dividend Champions" spreadsheet (or PDF), of a few hundred dividend companies.

I ran across it a while back, and it was a little over my head.. i'm going to take a look at it again..

Anyone else use this for help "finding" (not necessarily, choosing) their stocks?

Here is his most recent article about it, and updated spreadsheet: http://seekingalpha.com/article/4722...-now-with-beta

Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
I just ran across this, and not sure how "helpful" it really is.. but seems it would be pretty important..

David Fish, on Seekingalpha has a "U.S. Dividend Champions" spreadsheet (or PDF), of a few hundred dividend companies.

I ran across it a while back, and it was a little over my head.. i'm going to take a look at it again..

Anyone else use this for help "finding" (not necessarily, choosing) their stocks?

Here is his most recent article about it, and updated spreadsheet: http://seekingalpha.com/article/4722...-now-with-beta

I looked at this some time ago -- way too much info and not organized in a helpful useful way.

Schwab has tools that can help you set criteria you want to search for and then narrow your focus.

The problem for most people with investing -- is when they start to only look at numbers and don't really know the company or have any "faith" in the company. Next thing that happens is something (the market maybe) blows up and they start looking to bail. That's why I say - if a guy has 100K to invest - just start by looking up the companies that you use - buy from - are around the streets you drive down... then compare those to similar businesses -- and this will give you a good start.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 PM

lol, I chose OXY over Conoco. Oh well.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 AM

Don't get all caught up in small scale ups and downs... and your choices for individual stocks.

When you roll out the 10 year PRICE appreciation --- you'll see this:

OXY --- UP 553%

CVX --- UP 140%

COP --- UP 148%

No bad choices in any of these in my book. Anytime you have 100% + price appreciation (capital appreciation) AND you're getting a dividend on top of this! WTF -- no shame in this house!