Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Default Run flat tires opinions wanted

I've been considering switching from my Nitto 05 tires to a run flat tire.I like taking my car out of town on road trips and it's next to impossible to carry a spare.275/40/18 rear,245/40/18 fronts on a 69 Camaro.I was hoping somebody out here has some experience with these tires.Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Dave
Old 11-18-2019, 06:34 AM

I’ve had run flats on my BMW X6 they were Dunlop. I hated them, they wore out after 10k miles of Highway driving and started being super loud almost like a worn wheel bearing. Also they were noticeably stiffer than a non run flat that I switched to. But maybe that’s just bad Dunlop tires, I do remember doing searches about these issues (wheel bearing worn sound and stiffer ride) everyone complained about these issues on the internet at least.

I bought that slime in a can and also got a tire plug kit. Haven’t had to use either yet on any of my vehicles. Knock on wood!
Old 11-18-2019, 10:13 AM

Thanks for your info joeko23 I was afraid of that.I'm super happy about my Nitto-05 rubber and like you I carry a plug kit and can of slime.I'll just have to improve my roadside repair kit a bit more...
Old 11-18-2019, 03:42 PM

Maybe go to the junk yard and grab yourself a donut for $20?
Old 11-18-2019, 03:47 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Michelin Pilot Sports runflats on my C7 seem to ride and wear fine. Granted, it’s not the smoothest riding car ever created, so maybe the increased NVH from the tires is just not as noticeable. I can’t see a reason why I wouldn’t put a similar tire on the 69.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:47 PM

What I have done on other cars is have a spare that is the same height as my taller rear tire but skinnier on a matching wheel. In your case a 245/45/18 would be the same height as your rear tire and "should" fit on the front without hitting. The Rikon RAPTOR ZR A/S is $95 at Tire Rack. Get a cheap aftermarket wheel that clears your brakes to go with it. The Old School wheel by MB is about $160 in a 18x8 at Discount Tire. I prefer doing this so if I get a flat on the highway I can still go 75 mph. Driving 200 miles on a donut would suck. Especially on a Sunday when no tire store is open.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:17 AM

We've had several cars with run flats as factory. Found them to ride terrible, wear really fast, and very expensive. Do not be fooled into thinking you cant be stranded with runflats...wife had a MiniCooper S with them and got a low tire warning a few blocks from her office, when she turned into the parking garage (low speed obviously) the tire unseated from the rim, so she effectively had a "blowout" and couldn't proceed.

A lot of newer cars don't have spares, only an inflator kit...basically a can of slime and a 12v compressor. My CTS-V wagon is like this and we had a Volt that was same. We did get stranded in the Volt once when the sidewall got split on the interstate...no slime is fixing that.

Jeff-
Old 11-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Try and find yourself a new body GTO spare wheel. It clears most big brake kits. Thats what DSE uses to roll cars around the shop.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 AM

It's time to get tires for my GF's MB CLA250. The run flats on it now ride very harsh. Looking at Nitto 555s and a AAA membership. Half the cost of Run Flats... when was the last time you had a roadside flat...

Check it out Here
Old 12-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys very much appreciated.I think I'll go the DSE route and hunt one of those down...cheers