Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-28-2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
I like the QA1 shock. Once I read the instructions they are easy to set up. I went with the softest valving. I forget where I had them for settings.

I have a OE Ford gear in this car. Set up by GearFX. Still loud.

The new mufflers are "Hot Rod" quite. I am still looking for something quieter, but I'm getting old and I am tired of loud cars. I have tinnitus from all the louds stuff I have done all my life. I want my hot rods to be quieter.

Mark
Have you tried Magnaflow mufflers? They are pretty tame in my opinion. Coming from a young guy.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
First off, my roll bar is not legal for any type of racing. It is a solid anchor point for the shoulder belts for the 5/6 point harness.

I think the DSE subframe and the DSE sub frame connectors give the car a good feel and has been stiff enough for everything I do. The "Cage" is good enough to find the body if I crash it hard. I'm fairly sure if I have a big crash in one of these cars it will not be good.

If you are worried about safety buy a new car. Way safer. I have crashed both, and a new Camaro is way better in a crash than a 1969 Camaro.

Not a Camaro but you get the idea.

Mark

Thanks Mark - not really concerned about it as a safety issue, mostly just interested in the improvement in performance/chassis rigidity. I noticed that a few of your more recent builds seem to skip a full cage and instead have just a roll bar. Was curious if the full cage cars feel better on track.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Because the LT5 ECM is looking for a clutch switch and I’m adding Cruise control I added a clutch switch also while I was making stuff.

My disclaimer. This works for me and there maybe other ways to do it. I have used this system on the last 5 Camaros with zero issues. I then to revert back to “what do GM do” for a lot of my solutions.

It is amazing the the 1969 clutch pedal and the 1991 pedal are the same length. These setup coupled with a Centerforce clutch make the clutch pedal feel like a stock Camaro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Mark,

Quick question, the additional switch you added to the clutch pedal, is that just like a brake light switch? I'm looking to add this to mine as well.

Thanks!

John
Old 11-30-2021, 07:37 PM

That’s exactly a brake light switch. I also added this switch to my clutch in my 69 Camaro because I installed a push button start and didn’t want the car to start in gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-B...-127632-2357-0
Old 12-01-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
That’s exactly a brake light switch. I also added this switch to my clutch in my 69 Camaro because I installed a push button start and didn’t want the car to start in gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-B...-127632-2357-0
The stock pedals have a clutch safety switch, but they look for the clutch all the way depressed to start. This one is set up as the top of clutch switch which senses when you just start to get the clutch moving down, not disengaged yet. What's not clear to me is what brakelight switch he used since the ECM is looking for an open signal for top of clutch to defuel, and most brakelight switches are normally open and actuation closes the circuit. Maybe he used a relay to change the signal to the ECM. One switch I found that will work is ACDELCO D862C, it has 2 sets of contacts, one for normally open and one for normally closed. From the installation instructions:

The calibration included in the ECM is for a manual transmission application. The pair of wires labeled top of travel clutch switch must be wired used. This should not be used as a bottom of travel clutch switch or neutral safety clutch switch - do not use as a switch to prevent starter engagement without fully depressing the clutch. The top of clutch switch is used as in input to the ECM to briefly disable fuel when the clutch is depressed, which helps decelerate the engine and makes upshifting easier and quicker. A compatible clutch switch will have two pins which provide a closed circuit when the clutch pedal is fully released and an open circuit as soon as the clutch pedal is partially depressed.

Last edited by srode1; 12-01-2021 at 09:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to srode1 For This Useful Post:
jmac (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 05:06 PM

I did not know that the ECM for the LT5 required that signal. I thought Mark was using that clutch switch just for the Dakota Digital cruise control to be able to disengage cruise mode when depressed.

I spoke to Dakota Digital today and they said all I need is another brake switch.

I'm sure Mark will chime in and let us know how he got that signal the LT5 ECM required.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:24 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac View Post
I did not know that the ECM for the LT5 required that signal. I thought Mark was using that clutch switch just for the Dakota Digital cruise control to be able to disengage cruise mode when depressed.

I spoke to Dakota Digital today and they said all I need is another brake switch.

I'm sure Mark will chime in and let us know how he got that signal the LT5 ECM required.
The LT4 and LT5 have a top of travel input in the harness. I used an older style brake switch that have two sets of contacts. One sets of normally open and one set normally closed. I think it was from a 2nd gen Camaro with cruise.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...a-843401827852

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...caAoUdEALw_wcB

Last edited by Stielow; 12-03-2021 at 02:33 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-02-2021), fleetus macmullitz (12-02-2021), jmac (12-07-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
The Tilton street clutch works great. Smooth pick up, no rattles, good effort. I would buy it again. Nice parts.
Is the OEM throwout bearing used or the Tilton? I'm pretty skeptical on non-OE/non-preloaded TOB's but Tilton swears by their part.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:02 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Is the OEM throwout bearing used or the Tilton? I'm pretty skeptical on non-OE/non-preloaded TOB's but Tilton swears by their part.

It is the production Camaro throw out bearing!

Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2021, 09:47 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
The LT4 and LT5 have a top of travel input in the harness. I used an older style brake switch that have two sets of contacts. One sets of normally open and one set normally closed. I think it was from a 2nd gen Camaro with cruise.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...a-843401827852

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...caAoUdEALw_wcB
What exactly does the input do?

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel