...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-18-2020, 05:32 PM
Rodknock's Avatar
Rodknock Rodknock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Golden Valley/Kingman AZ
Posts: 100
Thanks: 31
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default Go big or??? Pump sizing

Running a Tanks Inc. tank in my 69 Camaro. Getting ready to purchase a fuel pump module for it.
I'm wanting to just purchase the largest unit they have, for future HP capability.

Question I have is, would there be issues running a large pump (PWM) at lower HP levels initially?

I'll be running a 6.0L twin turbo setup eventually (750 HP max), but am thinking about running it N/A for a while, just to get the car running. Don't really want to buy a smaller pump now, then spend $$ on a Larger one later, unless it will be an issue.

Here's the unit I'm looking at.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm?p...d=61&mode=prod

Also if, there is something better (there always is) I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!!
__________________
John Rodko
69 Camaro RS/SS
Rolling shell, minimal rust.
Heidts Pro G IRS/ Heidts Pro G Front
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
https://www.facebook.com/Angry-Johnn...?ref=bookmarks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-18-2020, 08:57 PM
camcojb's Avatar
camcojb camcojb is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilton, CA.
Posts: 11,586
Thanks: 850
Thanked 362 Times in 146 Posts
Default

With a PWM controller I'd think you're fine. I'll be using one of Carls Vaporworx PWM units on mine for exactly that reason. I'd talk to Carl to verify as he has systems matched to many different pumps and will give you an honest informed opinion if that exact pump will do what you want it to.

http://www.vaporworx.com/
__________________
Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
Centerforce for their DYAD Clutch Kit
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camcojb For This Useful Post:
Rodknock (11-18-2020)
  #3  
Old 11-18-2020, 09:35 PM
Rodknock's Avatar
Rodknock Rodknock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Golden Valley/Kingman AZ
Posts: 100
Thanks: 31
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
With a PWM controller I'd think you're fine. I'll be using one of Carls Vaporworx PWM units on mine for exactly that reason. I'd talk to Carl to verify as he has systems matched to many different pumps and will give you an honest informed opinion if that exact pump will do what you want it to.

http://www.vaporworx.com/
Thanks for the info and insight. I was looking at their website. Lot's of useful info there!! Controller costs more than the pump!!! But hey, quality costs money, and it's better than being stranded with sub par equipment
__________________
John Rodko
69 Camaro RS/SS
Rolling shell, minimal rust.
Heidts Pro G IRS/ Heidts Pro G Front
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
https://www.facebook.com/Angry-Johnn...?ref=bookmarks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2020, 11:36 AM
will69camaro will69camaro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,341
Thanks: 103
Thanked 71 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodknock View Post
Thanks for the info and insight. I was looking at their website. Lot's of useful info there!! Controller costs more than the pump!!! But hey, quality costs money, and it's better than being stranded with sub par equipment
I fully agree with Jody, what you get from Carl is a lot more than just a nice controller. The customer support is amazing.

I've been working with him on my car since the start and now have his latest upgraded controller as I went with a bigger pump configuration.

I have a ricks tank with dual CTSV to start with, and was EXCELLENT, until power turned up a bit too much and had to upgrade a pump. The low level fuel control is amazing.



Original controller:


I now have a CTSV pump as a primary so low fuel performance is still great, but have a Ricks module with dual walbro 525's in it, and if the tank is less than half tank basically, you can see the fuel pressure fall off. Not a big deal for autox, but drag racing and spirited highway driving, you want to be sure you have plenty of fuel.



New Controller:


There are a lot of options out there and Carl can help point you in the best direction for your build and your goals!

William
__________________
Texas A&M BSME 2008
1969 Camaro - Hugger Orange
1969 C10 SWB - Hugger Orange
2018 GMC Denali HD
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to will69camaro For This Useful Post:
Rodknock (11-19-2020)
  #5  
Old 11-19-2020, 11:18 PM
Rodknock's Avatar
Rodknock Rodknock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Golden Valley/Kingman AZ
Posts: 100
Thanks: 31
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
I fully agree with Jody, what you get from Carl is a lot more than just a nice controller. The customer support is amazing.

I've been working with him on my car since the start and now have his latest upgraded controller as I went with a bigger pump configuration.

I have a ricks tank with dual CTSV to start with, and was EXCELLENT, until power turned up a bit too much and had to upgrade a pump. The low level fuel control is amazing.



Original controller:


I now have a CTSV pump as a primary so low fuel performance is still great, but have a Ricks module with dual walbro 525's in it, and if the tank is less than half tank basically, you can see the fuel pressure fall off. Not a big deal for autox, but drag racing and spirited highway driving, you want to be sure you have plenty of fuel.



New Controller:


There are a lot of options out there and Carl can help point you in the best direction for your build and your goals!

William
I'm not going to be anywhere near your power levels, so hopefully I won't need dual pumps, otherwise I'll be having to purchase a new tank.
I figure 750 max will be sufficient for what I want to do.
Thanks Will for the info!!
__________________
John Rodko
69 Camaro RS/SS
Rolling shell, minimal rust.
Heidts Pro G IRS/ Heidts Pro G Front
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
https://www.facebook.com/Angry-Johnn...?ref=bookmarks
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodknock For This Useful Post:
will69camaro (11-21-2020)
  #6  
Old 11-21-2020, 05:43 PM
will69camaro will69camaro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,341
Thanks: 103
Thanked 71 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Honestly with that as a max, i'd look at using a V (or ZL1) module and replace the pumps with DW300C pumps. Get a vaporworx controller to control it all and let him know you're using those pumps. I think that would get you VERY close to 750rwhp and maybe even on E85.

https://www.deatschwerks.com/blog/ne...-fuel-pump-kit
__________________
Texas A&M BSME 2008
1969 Camaro - Hugger Orange
1969 C10 SWB - Hugger Orange
2018 GMC Denali HD
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to will69camaro For This Useful Post:
Rodknock (11-21-2020)
  #7  
Old 11-21-2020, 07:13 PM
Rodknock's Avatar
Rodknock Rodknock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Golden Valley/Kingman AZ
Posts: 100
Thanks: 31
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Honestly with that as a max, i'd look at using a V (or ZL1) module and replace the pumps with DW300C pumps. Get a vaporworx controller to control it all and let him know you're using those pumps. I think that would get you VERY close to 750rwhp and maybe even on E85.

https://www.deatschwerks.com/blog/ne...-fuel-pump-kit
Thanks, buddy. I bookmarked that page.
__________________
John Rodko
69 Camaro RS/SS
Rolling shell, minimal rust.
Heidts Pro G IRS/ Heidts Pro G Front
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
https://www.facebook.com/Angry-Johnn...?ref=bookmarks
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodknock For This Useful Post:
will69camaro (Yesterday)
  #8  
Old 11-21-2020, 10:27 PM
MtotheIKEo MtotheIKEo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reno,NV
Posts: 278
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

From a more budget minded perspective, I used the Tanks in unit with a 255lph pump with no problems. Dropping in a more powerful pump is a simple affair, easy afternoon job, and there are a lot of single pumps that will support 750 on gas.

The trade off with a bigger pump is noise, powerful pumps are loud, and you are going to cycle your fuel through the rails a lot quicker if you use a full return system.

The vaporworx system is no doubt the best way to go, but itís 4-5x the cost of a tanks inc drop in system minimum.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MtotheIKEo For This Useful Post:
Rodknock (11-22-2020)
  #9  
Old 11-22-2020, 02:48 AM
Rodknock's Avatar
Rodknock Rodknock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Golden Valley/Kingman AZ
Posts: 100
Thanks: 31
Thanked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo View Post
From a more budget minded perspective, I used the Tanks in unit with a 255lph pump with no problems. Dropping in a more powerful pump is a simple affair, easy afternoon job, and there are a lot of single pumps that will support 750 on gas.

The trade off with a bigger pump is noise, powerful pumps are loud, and you are going to cycle your fuel through the rails a lot quicker if you use a full return system.

The vaporworx system is no doubt the best way to go, but itís 4-5x the cost of a tanks inc drop in system minimum.
Thanks for the info

Yeah, for me, swapping the pump is even easier, because I incorporated an access panel into my build.



__________________
John Rodko
69 Camaro RS/SS
Rolling shell, minimal rust.
Heidts Pro G IRS/ Heidts Pro G Front
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
https://www.facebook.com/Angry-Johnn...?ref=bookmarks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-22-2020, 01:03 PM
MtotheIKEo MtotheIKEo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reno,NV
Posts: 278
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

A tanks inc 450 pump module is $340. That will support your hp goal.
+ some kind of regulator (~$150), you are about $500 in ignoring plumbing which will be needed for either option.

Vaporworx module is $430, which just controls the pump.
Not sure what CTS-V fuel pump module assemblies are going for. OEM modules look to be ~$800, aftermarket about the same.
The Tanks Inc tank won't accept an OE style module so you will need to weld in the mounting ring, ~$200 in hardware + installation.
So now you're ~$1500 in. (unless I'm misinterpreting the Vaporworx site)

There is no arguing that the Vaporworx setup is better. Really depends on your intentions with the car as to whether its worth it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MtotheIKEo For This Useful Post:
Rodknock (11-22-2020)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net