Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Default rotisserie built

We managed to get the rotisserie built and the car mounted on it. My son had a great time learning to weld.

We got the front suspension all off late today...just need to drop the rear out and then we can spin it to get a good look at the underside.

Front clip is still on because the frame has been 'tied' by a previous owner. Once we get it rotated, we will cut the welds from the front clip, drop the clip and mount the body back on the rotisserie.

The rotisserie was a fun project and I got a lot of enjoyment watching my son learn something new. It's been a learning experience for me as well, it's always been hard for me to relinquish control, but I'm learning to step back and say, "Figure it out".

Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 PM

Decided to change direction....a little. I decided with the amount metal that needed to be replaced and the lack of available sheet metal for 74's, I was better off to convert it to a 70.

I replaced the complete right side and firewall. I replaced the inner left side rocker, before eventually deciding to replace the outer as well.

I had to wait a long time for the complete trunk with frame rails. The complete floor was in stock, but they didn't have a complete trunk so a had to wait a few months, which was ok because I was working a lot of overtime (helped pay for parts). They finally called me after a few months to advice me the only complete trunk they had in North America had been dropped (bent the driver's side frame extension). I waited a couple more weeks before I decided to take the complete trunk as is. (they agreed to nice discount and a replacement frame rail). Once I got everything home I realized they gave me the wrong side frame rail (new one is on order, but will be a few weeks).

I was able to 'massage' the bent rail back in place, but I may hold off installing the complete trunk until I have the replacement rail to compare to.

I have a 70 parts car coming on Friday and a line on a Detroit Speed mini kit (tubs, springs etc.), just need to pick up the outer wheelhouses, then quarters... I already have the tail light panel. I still haven't decided what I'm doing about the roof yet.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:13 PM

I picked up the parts car today. It's rough, but the front sheet metal will work. I will inspect the front subframe and decided which one I will use. The roof seems to be in good shape in the area where mine has issues, so I will see if I can work with it.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 PM

I needed to replace the left side wheelhouse.

Figured out my roof dilemma... the donor car donated it's roof.

Outer wheelhouse welded on.

My Camaro didn't have these braces (don't know if they eliminated after a certain year or not?), but I salvaged them from the donor car.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Very cool build! Are you going to use the donor car tail panel for the brake lights, or repro sheet metal?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuske427 View Post
Very cool build! Are you going to use the donor car tail panel for the brake lights, or repro sheet metal?
Thanks. I used a repo (dynacorn). The one on the donor was actually a repo...looks like someone was going to attempt to fix the car up, but gave up.

Underside is all in, welded and welds have been cleaned up. I will pick up the Detroit Speed mini tubs next week.

The quarters and and tail panel are completed...had to see what it looked like with bumper and tail lights.

Once the Detroit Speed mini tubs are in I will move on to smoothing the firewall. I already picked up the DSE upper shock re-locator and
off-set spring hangers over on Pro-Touring. Still not set on front suspension yet.

I have to sand blast the doors and see how much work they are going to need...I have a feeling I will be looking for replacement doors.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Wow! You guys have done a lot to save that car. Impressive work. Good luck moving forward.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Wow you guys have been going to town on this! Very nice job!!!!

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice work it coming along great.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Wow Tim this project is really coming along!! You and your son are doing a great job!!!