Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Default 68 Max-G build

I have been building this for a few years and finally have a good jump on the project. Purchased as a “solid roller” after I found out my wife was pregnant. Katie called it my quarter life crisis. I started tearing it apart the day I got it home and I quickly found out how solid it wasn’t! I just wanted a neat car and liked the body style of 68 the best. Intention was a 427 big block, 4speed and some simple suspension upgrades so it didn’t twist in half, you know some simple stuff to get it going. I wanted something I could drive to the track, play a bit and tinker with to give me something to do other than work. Everything including paint will be done by me and the help of a few knowledgeable friends.
As soon as I got it home I got the car torn apart and on a simple stand so I could wheel it around inside the 2 car garage. The more I dug the more I wish I hadn’t but knew I had to keep going. I was working on an old repair on a quarter panels and when I smacked it pretty good a fist sized glob of rotten bondo fell off the roll pan! I started searching websites on how to repair it when I came across this one and a couple others. Then… I found this dang website and the wheels pretty much fell off the cart. After Gunner was born I dint have much time to work on the car, so here I am 4 years later. I built a shop in the back yard (my Camaro cave) and finally have some time to play.
Final plans are to ditch the LS1 in favor of a LS7 from Texas Speed or see what comes of the new GM engines. I don’t have a completion date so the final motor selection may be decided later. Color will be gloss black with flat black stripes and tan leather interior with Recaro sportster CS seats. The rims have gloss black hoops with flat black centers. I will add an integral split spoiler, flush mount glass and do some custom interior work.
Here’s what I got going so far:
Max-g chassis, C6 front, triangulated 4 bar 9” rear
4:11 gears
Wilwood brakes
Forgeline ZXP3’s With 335x18 R888’s
T56 and LS1 from 04 GTO
Allot of sheet metal, welding supplies and grinding widgets!
Bringing it home and tearing down. I installed mini tubs and had the hole back of the car bolted together waiting on Jakes rod shop suspension. That didn’t work out, so out came the plasma again to start over!

Here it is on the Max-G frame. These things are works of art!

Lil helper getting the front suspension dialed in
Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 PM

I got as far as I could then ordered these rims and tires so I could finish fitting everything. They turned out way better than I had hoped!

I cut the lip off the wheel well to make extra room for the tires. A friend suggested welding a piece of brake line tubing to the lip to give it that rounded look. It turned out perfect, but took a bit of time. Welding sheet metal is one thing. Welding a tube to it is something else! Cut the outer wheel wells to match.

I was able to get the rear bumper brackets made and attach the rear tail pan. I will be fabing all of the internal sheet metal

This week I should have both quarters, tail pan and outer wheel wells on permanently. Seems like I’ve had those quarters off and on a hundred times. I’m excited to weld the suckers on. Then I will start working on the trunk floor and close internal body sheet metal this weekend.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That frame is awesome and so is the rest of the work so far,good luck and keep pics coming.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM

Very nice build!! Should be killer when finished.

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 PM

Thanks! I got the quarters, outer whee wells and the tail pan welded on this weekend. This weekend i am going to make the inner wheel wells and complete the floor from the rear seat back while i wait on my seats and dash stuff to arrive. Then i will mock up the engine and trany to build the front floor area. Hopefully my sheet metal brake and bead roller get here this week!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:24 AM

Here are some pics of the inner wheel well.

Cut the lip off of a new inner to use it as the base for the custom ones

Punched some holes in it for spot welds and attached where i wanted it to go using sheet metal screws. The screws hold things very tight and are fast to install. I prefer them over anything else.

Made a pattern and then the real deal!

Finished inner wells.

Next week the Whipple charger and some other goodies from texas speed will be here. seats, pedals and almost everything else has arrived so i can make some progress! Still trying to decide if i want to move the wiper motor under the fender or not. The LS3 is here so i cut out the remainder of the firewall to set the motor in and start making a new one.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks great! very nice wheel and tire combo

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...ighlight=MAX-G