Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 PM

Default 100% Virgin 1969 Camaro...WHAT TO DO!!!???

Hey guy's!!

I've been on here for a good time now, had some projects of all kind over the last few years and guess i cant deny it....im a car Junkie.

I got a new one about 4 months ago now, bought it in a heartbeat as it was the deal of a lifetime. Bought it, THEN sold my 67 Chevelle SS396 lol!! could not pass it up. 'Guy didnt want to let it go after he realized what he was selling and the price he was asking got him SOOOO many calls after i had been the first to call and buy it on same call after the car beeing on the web for just like 2 hours....long story short, we had done everything thru email (read; written) and he had accepetd my offer and everything was VERY clear (hey, experience does pay sometimes it seems!) so i am now the owner of a like new, Super solid, absolutely zero rust, almost all original paint, 48k miles Olympic Gold on black/ black vinyl top 1969 Camaro 327/350!!!!!

(For those that care, the sale went very well after that the guy said he was sorry for trying to back out of the deal, we all want to get the most when selling so i understood too...as long as i got the car, and i did so all was fine lol!!!)

I have since been driving the car everywhere and i dont think i have ever enjoyed a car this much! It get thumbs up everywhere, it starts everytime, gets good mileage and is overall a very good performer! The only mods it has are a true dual (altough its due for replacement, which is the reason for me to be starting this thread as youll see in a moment) Some wheels and tires (i removed the 14 inch rallyes for some nice 15 inch SS396 repros ) and lastly, i just put on a fast ratio 600 gearbox.(MAN O MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!) i could not beleive how much of a difference this makes!!!! I would say that this is the reason that got me to driving the car so much since i got it. Seriously Just WOW!

Now.

I have been into Camaro's for the better part of my life and am a street machine lover to the max. I have gathered quite a lot of (very good) parts for first gens over the years and am at a point where i wonder what i should do with the car...

I built this Bad Ass Fastest Street Car 69 Convertible a few years back and have a lot of parts that i am thinking of putting on the car, but its so clean and original, all my buddys are telling me to get another to mod and keep this one as is. What???? I have waited all my life to find this car and now i should just hang it on the wall and wait for the next guy to enjoy it!!!??? WTF!!!?????

I am conscious of the value a stock car might represent, but also, its no SS or anyting, its a run of the mill 327 th350 car, s'got 48k original miles and the floors are still gloss under the car (no kidding!!! Its hilarious!! I never tought i would see an original Camaro this clean in MY garage) it even has a/c (which is a pita if you ask me, as part of going for a drive for me includes taking fresh air) even tough it works fine, i cant even simply put headers w/o having to go around stuff related to this...aarrghhhhh!!!) and you know, i dont think ill ever sell this car as, at the price i got it and the condition its in, both together...ill never see this again. Still, im trying to think forward and dont want to make a mistake i might regret one day so it costs nothing to take my time an be sure b4 i pull the trigger.

I am presently having an exhaust leak on it and thats what got the ball rolling. Im thinking, and thats where id like opinions, i. Could get the American thunder in 2.5 in with the nice polished tips and it would at least ad a little bit of beat to the ride, but then, comes in the headers question!! If im to put such a nice system, might as well be putting headers no? But that brings its whole lot of questionning...and options!!

I have a fully built 468 BB (8:1 SRP slugs, Carillo rods, Steel crank etc) mated to a built th400 right in the corner of the shop waiting to take place. The fun part beeing, if you noticed the 8 to one compression of the motor specs, is i also have a brand new (only went on the Dyno) polished Vortech YSI set up that is its partner in crime... I also have some Calvert Split mono's, 4 corner Calvert adjustable shocks (new), a new Strange (For Camaro of course!) Chromoly driveshaft, i even have a bran new Precision performance products shifter and all new Carbon fiber auto meter gauges and a lot more!!! All new parts or almost unused parts that i piled or had on other cars that i have been saving /keeping when selling other cars, for exactly that moment!! The car BEGS to be built. And for once, i dont have to wait to buy the parts, i have almost everything to do it!! Ok, its not the most Pro Touring oriented set up, but my project would be to put on a Gearvendors or something because i realized i really love driving the car. These two last week it has been my daily driver on every sunny day and im having a blast!

The trouble is, im wondering if i really should do it since everyone is putting me on the brakes. The headers are making me think, because if im going to buy them and am to put the BB in it this winter, well, obviously, i wont buy em and just get the old exhaust fixed cheaply and wait for winter... The radiator is also leaking so im at the same thinking point, the car is 98% original so do i get the stock, tagged, radiator rebuilt or do i get a new 300$ Summint drop in aluminum unit...or am i going to put a big one over winter with the PROJECT!!

See.....everyting is driving me back to this dilemma. I cant move as i dont want to spend the money twice, more so because its money that could go towards doing the project this winter!!

I just tought id ask you guys to get opinions....what would you do, regardless of the style of the car (im not asking if i should put an LS in it lol!! But hey, If i ever stumble onto an LS/ LS7 it could very well be finding its way in here just as well) im just trying to make sure i wont regret this move, even if im completely aware its totally feasible to do a very nice job and keep all the original parts on shelves for a future use / return to stock someday. But the thing is....

Its only ORIGINAL ONCE.

Good or bad, im listening your ideas and comments.

I will post pics of the car later. I dont have any on my present device.

It would make a hell of a fast street car, very nice driver on top of things, (not a cone chaser status but still very nice to drive/sway bars and all) but iseriously feel guilty to take it apart...some...

Thanks for any cues...

Lead

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"