Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post
Wow you guys have been going to town on this! Very nice job!!!!
Yeah, what Rick said. Y'all ain't messing around.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 PM

WOW! I'm not sure how I missed all this but you guys are kicking butt! Keep up the good work and post as many pictures as you can.

73 Camaro in slooow process
69 Firebird LS1 4l60E
70 Chevelle 402bb tko600
Old 06-26-2013, 12:45 PM

I managed to get the Detroit Speed mini tubs installed. It took a little longer then I expected, only because it's tight quarters in the trunk....as my son says, "you couldn't even fit one dead hooker in there."

BEFORE

AFTER

I have some work to do on the front subframe to get it cleaned up, mount holes repaired and powder coated before I install the frame connectors.

I haven't decided on what I'm doing about suspension yet; I'm talking with a few different companies to make sure I make the right choice for me, before I jump in.

In the meantime I guess it's time to start on the firewall.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Great project.

I see where you bought the DSE offset shackles and Spring, Mini-tubs. My suggestion would be to buy the DSE subframe connectors as the offer the cleanest fit & Finish once installed.

That being said you've started purchasing DSE stuff for the rear then you should stick with DSE upper, lower control arms, springs & shocks to match the rear. Don't forget to get their subframe bushings as they will complete the package.

DSE kit offers a static ride height just like a factory type set up however with a lowered stance. For my project I choose Ride-Tech for the suspension front and rear but I did use DSE Mini-tubs, SubFrame Connectors, Body Bushing and Brake Booster.

I love the offerings from both of these companies. You should also look at Speed-Tech because the have a pretty cool set up for the front of 2nd Gens.

? Are you keeping the 74 Subframe

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 06-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Great project.

I see where you bought the DSE offset shackles and Spring, Mini-tubs. My suggestion would be to buy the DSE subframe connectors as the offer the cleanest fit & Finish once installed.

That being said you've started purchasing DSE stuff for the rear then you should stick with DSE upper, lower control arms, springs & shocks to match the rear. Don't forget to get their subframe bushings as they will complete the package.

DSE kit offers a static ride height just like a factory type set up however with a lowered stance. For my project I choose Ride-Tech for the suspension front and rear but I did use DSE Mini-tubs, SubFrame Connectors, Body Bushing and Brake Booster.

I love the offerings from both of these companies. You should also look at Speed-Tech because the have a pretty cool set up for the front of 2nd Gens.

? Are you keeping the 74 Subframe
Marty, I have been following your project closely. It seems we have similar ideas and taste (although my mountain bike has been hanging from the ceiling in the garage for about 5 years).

I have the DSE subframe connectors, offset shackles and rear upper shock crossmember, but I haven't purchased springs or shocks. My plan was to run the leafspring setup for now and upgrade to the quadralink down the road. I contacted DSE to see if they sold the upper bar pockets separately as I wanted to install them now(while the car is in the raw state) rather than have to pull everything apart again later just to install the pockets...DSE advises they do not sell them separately so I started to rethink things.

I have an email in to Ride-Tech now and just waiting to hear back from them.

Yes, I plan on using the 74 subframe (I have the one from the 70 donor as well). I'm not sure which one is going to need the least amount of work.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Well get that bike off the ceiling and go out and ride.

I to started out with DSE springs and Shackles and mini-tubs thinking I was going to keep this car simple. However when I called DSE and they told me they don't split up there kits. Then I decided to call the guys at ride tech and they set me up with their new Coil-over kit for the rear and I couldn't be happier.

DSE makes great stuff but I was concerned that if I was in an accident or god forbid damaged a part they wouldn't help me out. In the end I spent about 10 grand with DSE and now have moved with this project to other vendors.

I have a good friend that misplaced the wire harness for the RS door electric kit and they told him he needed to buy a complete kit. I should mention that he spent over 20 grand with them and they still wouldn't help him out.

They make great stuff they just need to work on offering replacement parts. Heck what would you do is you damaged a spindle on one of there subframes. Would you have to buy a new one ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMouse View Post
Marty, I have been following your project closely. It seems we have similar ideas and taste (although my mountain bike has been hanging from the ceiling in the garage for about 5 years).

I have the DSE subframe connectors, offset shackles and rear upper shock crossmember, but I haven't purchased springs or shocks. My plan was to run the leafspring setup for now and upgrade to the quadralink down the road. I contacted DSE to see if they sold the upper bar pockets separately as I wanted to install them now(while the car is in the raw state) rather than have to pull everything apart again later just to install the pockets...DSE advises they do not sell them separately so I started to rethink things.

I have an email in to Ride-Tech now and just waiting to hear back from them.

Yes, I plan on using the 74 subframe (I have the one from the 70 donor as well). I'm not sure which one is going to need the least amount of work.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 06-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Well get that bike off the ceiling and go out and ride.
Ya, if I did that the trunk probably wouldn't have seem to be so small.

Quote:
DSE makes great stuff but I was concerned that if I was in an accident or god forbid damaged a part they wouldn't help me out. In the end I spent about 10 grand with DSE and now have moved on to vendors with better customer service.

They make great stuff they just need to work on offering replacement parts. Heck what would you do is you damaged a spindle on one of there subframes. Would you have to buy a new one ??
Unfortunately, this is what has pushed me in another direction. It's too bad because Stielow and DSE projects/products are what got me excited about cars again.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMouse View Post
Unfortunately, this is what has pushed me in another direction. It's too bad because Stielow and DSE projects/products are what got me excited about cars again.
Your not the first person that has told me this or posted this on various BB forums. It sucks because they have some incredible stuff just bad customer service.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM

Nice job on the car its moving right a long.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:35 PM

A little bit of an update:

I got the subframe cleaned up and the body mount holes repaired. I've sent it off to the power coater and should have it back next week.

Frame connectors are in.

I got the passenger side of the firewall 'smoothed'. Just did the metal work...no fill yet, I will leave that for the body man.

I spoke with Tobin (great customer service) at Kore3 yesterday and ordered the brackets for the C6 Z06 brakes.

I hope to order the RideTech front and rear suspension(without shocks for now) at the end of next, so I can get the rearend mocked up.