Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Great project and story, Rob. Keep the pics coming.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Supporting Member

Hey Rockdogz,
Tom, Im the guy in Chicago that you emailed with the response to Chassisworks components. Thanks for all the info. The tubs were out because they replaced them, along with everything but the roof and the trunklid. I should have had them tub it out when they had it ripped apart, but the wheels were already being made by Fiske. Thats a poor excuse from me because it would have been cheaper for them to make em wider before shipping them out than doing it now.
What do you guys think, 275/40/18's too small for a rear tire?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:44 PM

With all the cool components you're putting on the car, I would have to tub it also.
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391864

Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19253
Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDoRun View Post
With all the cool components you're putting on the car, I would have to tub it also.
Agreed. Esp if you are running the G Bar.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 PM

WOW...awsome project, keep us updated.

Welcome to the site!

Steve
67 Camaro RS

66 Chevelle (in progress)
Old 03-19-2009, 12:06 AM

Welcome Rob! Nice project! Enjoy it!!

I have to agree with the others...I would have mini-tubbed it. The nice thing about 3-piece wheels is that you can send them back and have them widened! It usually doesn't cost too much either. I vote to do it now, before paint!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Supporting Member

Looks like Im gonna be the red headed step child here, cuz it looks like it stays with stock tubs, at least for now. We cut in new fenders and inner wells (missed the oportunity there) and already installed the trunk pan and complete g bar rear suspension. The gas tank and fuel lines have been installed, and of course the rear end is in place and all brake lines run. The cost for the tubs at DSE would be around $500 shipped, and the cost to widen the rims runs around $650 shipped. Labor around $1500 to $2000, and the new beefier tires would run about $350 apiece. So $3350 minimum, and I might only autocross it twice a year and beat it up on weekends. Is it that much of a difference between a 275 and a 325 tire? Its about two inches, and Im at 520 hp to the flywheel = 440 to rear wheels. You think theyd cut loose a lot? Or is it mostly asthetics? Dont get me wrong, I love the way all that rubber looks behind from behind. But will I be laughed at by you guys and lower the cars appeal if I stick with my 10" rears with 275's?

BTW, if I keep it like this long enough to kill the brand new tires on it, and I decide I have to be just like the big guns here on Lateral G, then I can always do it over the winter here in Chicago, and I wont feel the $700 loss on the rubber!! Damn, just when I thought I had most of the bases covered!!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqt555 View Post
Looks like Im gonna be the red headed step child here, cuz it looks like it stays with stock tubs. . .
A ten inch tire ain't the end of the world. We're guys - we've been taught that bigger is always better At least you have the option. On my project, I lose the option to put my 'vert top down if I do even minor tubbing so looks like I will be part of the 10 inch tire club as well.

I've actually considered (jokingly) a removable portion of the front of the tub where the soft top drops that I can remove if I want to run the wide tires.......

Awesome project. Pretty sure if it was mine, I would burn two sets of tires up before the next winter hibernation.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Don't worry about, it will look fine with the 10's, just figured if you were still at the bodywork stage would be the best time to do it.

Please post a pic of your current 10" Fikse rear wheels as I would love to see how they look.
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 03-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Supporting Member

I dont know what my wife did with the camera, so Ill just post what I had a few weeks ago and update it later. Dsc01746 shows my first mistake, not tubbing it when the time was right. The gas tank pic and rear suspension is another problem, Im not sure if the clearance will be there for exhaust. Its a Ricks tank, and its not notched. My suspension was ordered in December, so I think its the newer version. Another issue is narrowing the rear end, forgot about that! The other pics are the Fikse wheels (wow, gotta love those 76 TA rotors I had on the rear), and to be honest, I think the lip looks too shallow and they look dinky compared to what most of you guys run, and my body guy ordered them and I think theres too much sidewall. Of course it isnt at the right height in the pics and Im sure theyll look better at the correct stance. Do they change the lip, make it deeper, when you widen rims?
I should bite the bullet and just have it tubbed. This probably isnt the best time to skimp, and Ill probably never do it unless it gets done now. Crap, I hate doing things twice, especially now that Im being bled dry! Any of you guys compare handling difference with the wider tire sizes?
Attached Images