Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Default 1968 Camaro Pro Touring

Were just starting on this 68 Pro Touring Camaro. Plans originally are an LS3, Heidts sub frame, Hotchkis rear sway bar and use the rear multi leaf springs, Full custom interior with digital gauges, tv monitor, full custom upholstery mimicking a 2012 Camaro.

Now that we have started the client wants to change some things. He just purchased a new Porsche 911 and he wants this Camaro to blow its doors off. So now a few more upgrades may include a turbo, and a 4 link rear and who knows what else.

Were open to suggestions and so the client. About the only request is an automatic transmission. Let us know what you guys are thinking and we'll throw it out there.

I'm having trouble posting pictures right now, you can go here to see the car here http://pinterest.com/pin/467389267548774934/

Last edited by PrecisionRestor; 07-19-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Default Update 1

We tore done the body and mechanics and have stripped the paint. A trip though the sandblast room and we'll be ready to start the body work
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

looks like a very nice and solid car to start with
Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbed69 View Post
looks like a very nice and solid car to start with
Was just thinking the same thing.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM

Default Not too shabby

It is a pretty solid car, but it has had some quarter skins replaced without fixing the inner wheel houses. I have seen this more than I would like and this car is just another one in that category. Ill have some more pictures soon with more of the progress.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM

If he really wants the car to be competitive with his 911 in a road course type situation he needs to be thinking full frame with IRS. Not sure what the Heidt's is doing but should be the Vette components up front not stock based solutions as well.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:45 PM

Default Front sub frame option

Looking at this sub frame. http://www.heidts.com/Scripts/default.asp
With all the options. Not sure on the Drop yet but well have to make a decision eventually.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Default 68 Camaro Pro Touring update

So the paint was stripped and we blasted the jambs, firewall and window frames. The car looked pretty good from the beginning but now we unvieled quite a bit of rust. We went ahead and etch primed and sealed it to keep it from flash rusting.
We keep getting more and more requests from our client. He now is wanting us to widen the body on the rear. Not flare the quarters but widen the tail pan and move the quarters out along with a mini tub. Not sure if this one is going to happen or not. Does any one know of any body who has done this before and what the final product looked like. These are just ideas at this point, but were looking for some feed back. Let me know what you think.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Default 68 Camaro Pro Touring update

So the paint was stripped and we blasted the jambs, firewall and window frames. The car looked pretty good from the beginning but now we unvieled quite a bit of rust. We went ahead and etch primed and sealed it to keep it from flash rusting.
We keep getting more and more requests from our client. He now is wanting us to widen the body on the rear. Not flare the quarters but widen the tail pan and move the quarters out along with a mini tub. Not sure if this one is going to happen or not. Does any one know of any body who has done this before and what the final product looked like. These are just ideas at this point, but were looking for some feed back. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 AM

As far as the Heidt's subframe, they make a quality product but I believe they are still using a steel possibly MustangII based spindle in their setup. I poked around their website for 30 seconds but couldn't find the exact setup, but I would definitely recommend one of the subframes that is using C6 vette components.

Widening the car - I don't understand how this works unless you widen the whole car front to rear. You could get away with 1-1.5" bulge on the quarter probably, creating a coke bottle shape on the rear quarter, I've seen that done on Camaros before but don't have any links, although if you peruse every single Ironworks and JCG Customs Camaro thread I think there are one or two where some pushing and pulling has been going on. I've definitely seen it done. You could also check out the Rad Rides build photos of George Poteet's Torino so see one approach to bulging a quarter panel.

The Ring Brothers have widened a couple Mustangs front to rear (look for "The Producer") and the Eckler's Mach GT Mustang was widened 2" front to rear (2" per side). I am also currently widening my '67 Mustang the same way, but I think this works much better on the Mustang because they have more of a linear body line from the front fender through the rear, whereas the Camaros are a little more womanly in shape. So take a look around wish I had some links for you.