Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 AM

Default Project 69 mustang "Sally"

Long Term Plans/Goal.........
-completely change the suspension to something modern
-big brakes
-bodywork(theres a TON to be done, and minitubs)
-cage(if door bars are low enough for dd duty(I dont like swing out bars) or 4 point roll bar
-some nice wheels with good tires
-built modern ford motor of some sort(supercharged or turbo'd)
-6 speed
-9 inch rearend
-updated interior with racing style seats and i really like the racepack dash monitor
AND I DO MEAN LONG TERM!!!!! haha

I wasnt sure if I was even going to make a prject thread because I am nowhere near being able to turn this car into what I actually want it to be. Long story short, I bought this car off of ebay three months after I turned 15. I had a deal with my father that whatever I saved up until i wanted a car he would match. Ended up being able to get this car and have it shipped down from Pennsylvania..(It DEFINATELY has plenty of rust from being up there)..

This is the oldest picture I have of the car

At the time I had only had the car for 15 months But I had my eye on the 2005 mustang... glad I never had the heart to actually sell it. Oh and by the way this was the car I drove to Highschool starting my Sophomore year since it was my only car.

The car went through some pretty basic driveability/creature comfort mods over the next 2 years.
-power breaks w/front discs to replace the old manual drums
-had a/c put on the car(broke the fitting to the condensor, so the compressor isn't even mounted right now)
-loud stereo, which I have since taken out the subwoofers/amp
-ditched the open 2.79 gears and got 3.80's and an auburn posi(yes still an 8 inch though /: )

And that is how the car stayed from about summer 2007 until January of 2010.

Heres where I actually started doing some of my own work. A friend of my fathers who is a very active car enthusiast was gracious enough to let me use his shop for free(lift/tools/ anything I could have imagined was in there)...His way of teaching me was telling me to figure it out or ask and he would tell me but he refused to help because he said it was good for me. I am soo thankful for that, it made me so much more confident in my ability to work on this car. I was 20 at the time that I did this.

-replaced both shock towers/patched part of the front passenger frame rail

First time I had taken a hood off lol

Definately the first time I have taken a motor/trans out

Now I know I should have taken the fenders off and everything to replace the shock towers but we were afraid of what we might find since this car has rust
issues and its a BEATER, The only reason I have it is to drive the crap out of it. Which I do regularly

new ones in

took it for a drive around the block to check out my handy work haha

1969 mustang fastback
-302,t5, and alot of other plans....
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31687

Last edited by MattWash08; 12-28-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:10 AM

I completed that task In about may I think because I could only get up there part time... Thats right my car sat on that lift for about two months without moving at one point and the owner only fussed at me a few times!!! I really do owe his SOOO much!

Then I just randomly drove the car when I got the chance.

Mid july i blew the stock c4 transmission, hated it anyway because I couldnt really get on the highway with it since I had 3.80's(8 inch rear end lol)
So the car sat from then until about halloween because I was sourcing parts for my t5 swap trying to get things as cheap as I could. Sent it to a shop where the guy restores mustangs on the side and he had it until Christmas eve doing that swap since he was working on it in his spare time.

SOME CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO MYSELF!!

got new exhaust the first week of january: 2.5" all the way back to flowmaster 40's that are dumped

Just drove it like that for a little bit. Then we had some major snow here in the DFW area for the first time ever that Ive seen here...(that picture is on my old phone and I am having trouble getting it to the internet /: Its sitting out in the parking lot of my apt under a car cover lol)

About a month ago my rear started sagging to the driver side very badly so I ordered:
-new reverse eye 5-leaf leaf springs to get rid of whatever was on there before
-monte carlo bar
-subframe connectors
-shackles
-new rear shocks
-1" lowering blocks

Now if i remember correctly the front coils were 1" lower and then i cut them some...
Got those parts installed last weekend.
With the reverse eye springs and blocks out back it sits almost level and the rear will most likely settle another inch or so and then it will sit just how i want it to. The subframe connectors are bolted in but Im going up to the exhaust shop this weekend to have him weld them real quick.

Im also possibly picking up some "temporary" 17's this weekend. I say temporary because knowing me they will probably stay on the car for quite a while haha. 17x8's 245/45/17 tires. going to replace my 205/70/14 & 235/60/15's that are on there now.

should I leave them silver like they are or do one of these two paint schemes or does anyone else have any other ideas fro them??

1969 mustang fastback

Last edited by MattWash08; 05-17-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

i like the gray myself.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
i like the gray myself.
Yea thats the original paint job I found a while back that made me not mind getting a set of these if I found a steal. Im just wondering if it would look good on my car and also which looks better: the grey wheels only have the spokes painted, while the black one have all the area inside the wheels painted black only leaving the outer lip silver..

1969 mustang fastback
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

i like the silver spokes only more than the black with the lip. i had black wheels on my red c5z and it looked awesome but i also think the silver would look good on older mustangs since i've seen it before.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
i like the silver spokes only more than the black with the lip. i had black wheels on my red c5z and it looked awesome but i also think the silver would look good on older mustangs since i've seen it before.
Im going to pick the wheels up today I think and then I just need to measure to see what size spacers I have to use. Hopefully I can get these mounted up in a week or two. Then Ill see what you think

1969 mustang fastback
Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 PM

Looks nice. I always liked these Mustangs.

Personally, i think the silver wheels would look best, or perhaps charcoal all over.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
Old 04-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Well No new wheels for me.. I got a text from the guy that he sold them last night. So much for that plan lol Ill just find another use for that cash on the car!

1969 mustang fastback

Last edited by MattWash08; 05-17-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 AM

got a few things done in the last week or so:

Subframe connectors welded on
Poly strut rod bushings on
New front coil springs on
removed lowering blocks since the front is so rediculously high!
Got an alignment

The car drives totally different now, Much stiffer, feels much better on the road.

But... The new springs raised the front end a ton! I thought about leaving the old ones on but I thiink I had cut too much off of them and they werent carrying enough of the front end weight because it was bouncy on the road.

I ned to trim the new springs though so it doesnt look like an old school gasser lol

Oh and by the way, This car is my DAILY DRIVER as of a couple weeks ago because my mom got rid of her car and took back the one I was driving

1969 mustang fastback

Last edited by MattWash08; 12-28-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:27 PM

I like where this is headed.