Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 PM

Good call.

Yes, even I'm getting annoyed at how long this is taking. My free time doesn't exist.

-complete turn buckles
-door handles
-mirrors
-finish wheels
-add carbon fiber texture to front and rear spoiler via PS
-background
-at least one more sponsor along the rocker. Lat-g wanna be my sponsor?
-Bridgestone tires

Last edited by city_ofthe_south; 06-12-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 PM

I think the Illustrator portion is complete. Just a few little things to do in PS and put together a background. Hopefully the next update will be the final product!!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Looks great.

Just a couple of thoughts (not criticisms) how do you think the flares would look if they were "bolt on" like Porsche uses on the 911 body? Are you happy with the way the sideview mirrors "flow" with the overall theme of the car?
Again just ideas not knocking your talent.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28 View Post
Looks great.

Just a couple of thoughts (not criticisms) how do you think the flares would look if they were "bolt on" like Porsche uses on the 911 body? Are you happy with the way the sideview mirrors "flow" with the overall theme of the car?
Again just ideas not knocking your talent.
I'd considered the bolt on flares and I like the idea. Certainly would give it a more industrial vibe ... maybe a version 2.0? As far as the mirrors ... no denying they might have been treated as an afterthought, but I took inspiration from the minimalistic mirrors found on a variety of modern GT race cars. Just the same, you often see factory mirrors left on and I did entertain something more factory looking that I found on a couple Pantera images I dug up. Tell me your thoughts, they are appreciated.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 PM

Default tentatively calling her DONE!!

Kinda wild for a background! You might have to squint to see the carbon fiber but I'm going to make wallpapers available ... maybe. They are available for sale as 11x17s immediately ... let's call em 10 bones shipped to your house. I also have access to high-end (read expensive) printing if anyone is interested - shoot me an e-mail or PM.

Last edited by city_ofthe_south; 06-19-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_ofthe_south View Post
Tell me your thoughts, they are appreciated.
I like the industrial or street fighter look. I think it says "go" rather than "show".
As far as the mirrors I was thinking something along the lines of a Talbot or even a Raydot (could even mount the the Raydot about 1/2 way up the windshield post).

All and all I think you did a great job.
The finished product looks great!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28 View Post
I like the industrial or street fighter look. I think it says "go" rather than "show".
As far as the mirrors I was thinking something along the lines of a Talbot or even a Raydot (could even mount the the Raydot about 1/2 way up the windshield post).

All and all I think you did a great job.
The finished product looks great!
Oh ok, I'm with ya on the mirrors. They would keep a vintage look going. I think I am going to do a quick revise for a 2.0.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_ofthe_south View Post
Oh ok, I'm with ya on the mirrors. They would keep a vintage look going. I think I am going to do a quick revise for a 2.0.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Looks awesome!

Do you mind if I ask how you did it? Just wondering if it's something I can pick up since I'm good with a pencil.

69 Nova - 350, TKO600, Tru Turn, awaiting LS swap
Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkoNova View Post
Looks awesome!

Do you mind if I ask how you did it? Just wondering if it's something I can pick up since I'm good with a pencil.
My opinion is that yes you can pick it up. Some very well known artists have said that art can be taught and my feeling is that if you really are good with a pencil, then you've already got some built in talent or aptitude for learning the skills. I still think talent goes a long way simply because I can point at lots of artists who I consider better than me because they are more talented, not because they've necessarily learned more skills. And there are lots of really amazing self taught artists out there. I've said before that I think of myself as more of a creative problem solver than an artist anyway. Up until the last image, this was drawn in Illustrator (Ai). You can pretty much see from the early images that it starts with rough shapes stacked up to form the basic body and then details are laid on. Illustrator is not for everyone and there are certain things that I think are just simpler to do in Photoshop(Ps) or some kind of painting program. All the additions to the last image where done in Ps. I created the carbon fiber pattern in Ai, then brought it into Ps and laid it on, warped it to look like it's on the correct plain, stuff like that. The background was also created in Ps. I brushed in the highlight behind the rear wheel arch while I was at it. It could all be done in Ai but to me it's not about capability, just what I find more natural. I like Ai because it allows me to work with lots of shapes without using lots of layers. Ps almost requires you to use layers and they are very handy, but you could easily get into dozens of layers and my brain doesn't work that way. I have no doubt that people would look at how many hundreds of shapes I have in Ai and say, you're crazy to not use layers. But that's why I like it.