Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 AM

Getting started on the headers. 1.75" primaries to SPD merged collectors.
And this Icengineworks kit is way too cool to work with.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:02 PM

Very nice car.

Is that the factory front spindle or a Granada unit?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:35 PM

Default Uni steer and air ride technology suspension

I purchased a uni steering rack for my 61 Starliner , Their product I’d junk .the mounting brackets , the angle of the input spline on the rack to the steering column puts the universal joints way beyond the safe operating angle where they should run , then grab a hold of the center section where the 2 tie rods mount and you can lift it up and down 1/4 - 3/8s of an inch ,
I also purchased a 64 galaxies wagon which I shiped from the states to New Zealand,with air ride technologies front and rear suspension, more garbage , the guy I bought it from had only 400 miles on it after the rebuild, The shocks had leaked oil in to the air bags , so were junk , The lower mount on the front A arm mounted where the original factory shock mount was , this had started to push through the a arm , I called Air ride technology, basically they said tough luck
Old 04-22-2019, 08:00 AM

Man, this is a sweet ride not sure how I missed it. Any updates?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61star View Post
I purchased a uni steering rack for my 61 Starliner , Their product I’d junk .the mounting brackets , the angle of the input spline on the rack to the steering column puts the universal joints way beyond the safe operating angle where they should run , then grab a hold of the center section where the 2 tie rods mount and you can lift it up and down 1/4 - 3/8s of an inch ,
I also purchased a 64 galaxies wagon which I shiped from the states to New Zealand,with air ride technologies front and rear suspension, more garbage , the guy I bought it from had only 400 miles on it after the rebuild, The shocks had leaked oil in to the air bags , so were junk , The lower mount on the front A arm mounted where the original factory shock mount was , this had started to push through the a arm , I called Air ride technology, basically they said tough luck
I am very familiar with the issue you are describing where the center take off rotates in the rack. My setup is not Unisteer, however uses a similar rack (Chevy Caviler). I ended up making a guide to keep the rack from moving up and down, something to consider. If I were to do it again I would probably go with the Borgenson Steering box. It requires shortening the steering column but maintains full steering radius.

There are a number of front coilover setups where they place the weight of the car on the stamped steel lower control arm in the location originally designed to support a shock absorber! You can see in this build it has aftermarket lower control arms. I'm not sure if the owner is still around, not trying to steal the OPs thread but I can tell you that they are using Fatman control arms. They are much beefier than the stock stamped LCAs and would be fine to support a true coil over type shock spring.
61star (05-05-2019)