Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2017, 05:01 PM

Lance, out here a slab warranty is one year. Shoot...most guys on here are pros at voiding a new car warranty. I understand that a house is a far greater investment, but it's just a slab. Take pictures the day before the pour, and measurements. You'll have no problem missing those cables being as how they are on 4' centers.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 05-26-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Lance, out here a slab warranty is one year. Shoot...most guys on here are pros at voiding a new car warranty. I understand that a house is a far greater investment, but it's just a slab. Take pictures the day before the pour, and measurements. You'll have no problem missing those cables being as how they are on 4' centers.

If by chance I wasn't 1200 miles away that day, I'd certainly do that! and they won't let any of my "representatives" even on site either.

Heck, they made me wear a hard hat and a vest just to walk on the neighbors lot shown above (and made my wife stay in the car with her open toed shoes on).
Old 05-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Charley and I have discussed this 4 post /2 post dilemma for awhile now -- he likes the 4 post -- I wouldn't have one. I think it's one of those things like a golf swing.... everyone has pluses and minuses..... I had a drive on for about 2 weeks before it went bye bye.... seems everything I wanted to do -- the ramps were in my way.... I don't need the ramps to lay parts or tools on -- I use the big Rubbermaid 4 wheel carts for that....

I do agree with Charley about crawling around to put the arms where they need to go.... but I have these "ERGO mats" (I think that's what they're called) on either side of the lift and just kneel or lay on them as needed.

I just had a Rotary Lift (SPO-10) installed in the track shop.... mostly I'm changing out wheels - doing oil changes - and replacing brake pads etc.... and I like the ease with which that is done on the 2 post Asymmetric (that way you can open the doors wide open and not hit the posts).
Old 05-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Would a metal detector surveyors useto pick up the cables. We used them on jobs to pick up water line and power lines? you could have him make a box as a form and leave the concrete out of it, Then you dig down at each box and pour them like a footing with your bolts located. Just a couple of ideas.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:16 PM

This house is being built by a production style builder that builds 1,000s of houses a year. They have their systems in place to make sure everything goes smooth and they do NOT vary from their systems at all. Being concerned about 1 home buyer wanting to out a bolt down lift in one of the homes they are building doesn't even blip their radar.

If I lived there while it was being built, I might have done things differently...but for my situation, this the best way to get everything I want. I'll just have to deal with this lift issue best I can.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:33 AM

I too have had that exact slider center jack and 4-post for over 20 years and am satisfied. I've been able to accomplish what I wanted.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:24 AM

Lance,
I have that exact bridge jack on my 4 post and they are great! In fact I purchased it from Greg Smith. But I'm not sure I would want two of them. I think two jacks would take away a lot of work space under the vehicle and they are very heavy to move on and off the lift. I have to store my jack all the way to the front of the lift in order to get the car on the platform. I also had to build a riser for the front wheels to set on in order to get clearance under the car for the jack. The riser is nothing more than a 3ft length of 2x12 wood setting on the platform with a 2x4 bolted laterally on top to act as a wheel stop.

Don't stress yourself worrying about drilling holes in that new floor. Buy the 4 post with the castors and you can move it anywhere you need it. I would just add that my 4 post is not bolted to the floor and we had a 6.9 earthquake here in VA a few years ago. Dust Off was stored on the lift about 7ft in the air at the time. The car and lift were totally unaffected by the shaking. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the house foundation. Bottom line is that I could not have built Dust Off without the lift and jack.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"

Last edited by TheJDMan; 06-01-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:21 AM

Thank you Steve and Rick for the input, you guys relating your hands on experience helps make this decision a bit easier.

Are there locks on those jacks? Like can you lift the car up off the ramps and set it on locks inside the jack? Or will they just bleed back down like a bottle or floor jack if weight is left on them for a long time? They are hydraulic right, they tie into the hoist pump? To remove one you would have to take the hydraulic line loose correct?

Maybe having just one in place might be a better option. If I needed all 4 tires up I could just lift the front of the car, put jack stands under the lift points and ramps then move the jack to the rear to lift it up.

I'd really like to see one in operation first hand before making this decision. Thankfully I have until next January at the earliest to do so.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Thank you Steve and Rick for the input, you guys relating your hands on experience helps make this decision a bit easier.

Are there locks on those jacks? Like can you lift the car up off the ramps and set it on locks inside the jack? Or will they just bleed back down like a bottle or floor jack if weight is left on them for a long time? They are hydraulic right, they tie into the hoist pump? To remove one you would have to take the hydraulic line loose correct?

Maybe having just one in place might be a better option. If I needed all 4 tires up I could just lift the front of the car, put jack stands under the lift points and ramps then move the jack to the rear to lift it up.

I'd really like to see one in operation first hand before making this decision. Thankfully I have until next January at the earliest to do so.
They are manual pump jacks, they do not tie into the lift hydraulics. No locks on mine. They are very heavy. You install them and leave them. Just slide them back and forth. The long lift you are buying can easily accommodate two jacks.

Don
Old 06-01-2017, 09:02 AM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

They have automatic locks so no need to worry about it bleeding down. As you are jacking up you will hear the locks clicking and can see it working. I just have one on my hoist and love it. Hellfire and other cars clear the sliding jack with no problem.
I think in the post above he is misunderstanding your question about locks.. Once it is setting on the locks you need to jack it up slightly in order to unlock it.