Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Paint and Body
User Name
Password

Old 05-02-2021, 11:52 PM

Default AMD dealer

Who is the go to for sheet metal?

I need a lot for my '69 Camaro shipped to SoCal.

TYIA
Old 05-03-2021, 06:26 AM

I think Matt’s Classic Bowties can set you up. They are a vendor here.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
will69camaro (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 08:00 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I second Matt’s Classic Bowties
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 05-03-2021, 08:07 AM

FWIW AMD is not a whole lot better than anyone else. Their roof is complete gahbage. Their original tooling is long gone. Golden Star and CHL have been pretty good in my experience. MCB can get these too.

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 05-03-2021 at 07:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 10:22 AM

Ok, good to know. Last time I was shopping for sheet metal was 7 years ago. Hoping I actually get going on my project this time around.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:23 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
FWIW AMD is not a whole lot better than anyone else. Their roof is complete gahbage. Their original tooling is long gone. Golden Star and CHL have been pretty good in my experience. MCB can get these too.

Don
Golden Star is trash. It’s crazy thin and the fit is horrible. Jim used a one of their front fenders on a friends car and was cussing it through he entire paint and body process. He still complains about it to this day. I’d stay away.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 05-04-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
Golden Star is trash. It’s crazy thin and the fit is horrible. Jim used a one of their front fenders on a friends car and was cussing it through he entire paint and body process. He still complains about it to this day. I’d stay away.
Golden Star is near me in Lewisville Texas and I have seen AMD fenders shipping out their door which leads me to conclude they supply AMD sheet metal, most likely off the same tooling. Was it a 69? I’ve used their fenders on a couple of builds with good luck...

If Jim thinks Golden Star is trash he should have a go at some Goodmark fenders...

FWIW virtually all repop sheet metal needs massaging including a little cutting and welding. And pretty much all of it is lighter gauge than original sheet metal.

Don

Last edited by dhutton; 05-04-2021 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:21 PM

I had an original GM hood on my Chevelle when I got it. It was cherry. I took it to a blaster to remove the SEVEN layers of color my car had on it...yes 7 different colors since 1970...and the blaster ruined it. It was as wavy as the Atlantic. Trash.
AMD is here in North Ga, and I went over and bought a new hood. It’s like 75 pounds heavier than the GM hood. That tells me it’s made well, but it’s just so heavy out there on the nose, I’d really like a carbon hood now. Hood fit perfect and only had two tiny dings that I had to fix.
I bought an entire new front clip (minus the hood of course) when building the car from YearOne...also here in North Ga...who sold me Goodmark sheet metal. It fit like crap and only the pass side headlight extension didn’t need work. Lots of cutting, welding, and body work to make it all fit. I set it all up with the original hood, so that’s how I know the AMD hood fit like OEM.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 05-04-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
I had an original GM hood on my Chevelle when I got it. It was cherry. I took it to a blaster to remove the SEVEN layers of color my car had on it...yes 7 different colors since 1970...and the blaster ruined it. It was as wavy as the Atlantic. Trash.
AMD is here in North Ga, and I went over and bought a new hood. It’s like 75 pounds heavier than the GM hood. That tells me it’s made well, but it’s just so heavy out there on the nose, I’d really like a carbon hood now. Hood fit perfect and only had two tiny dings that I had to fix.
I bought an entire new front clip (minus the hood of course) when building the car from YearOne...also here in North Ga...who sold me Goodmark sheet metal. It fit like crap and only the pass side headlight extension didn’t need work. Lots of cutting, welding, and body work to make it all fit. I set it all up with the original hood, so that’s how I know the AMD hood fit like OEM.
Your AMD hood weighed 75 pounds more than a stock OEM hood? What does the OEM hood weigh?

Don
Old 05-05-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Your AMD hood weighed 75 pounds more than a stock OEM hood? What does the OEM hood weigh?

Don
It’s been a few years and I wish I remember the numbers. I was as shocked as you sound. I could get the OEM hood on and off by myself during mock-up. No way with the AMD. I knew I was in trouble as soon as I got into the warehouse at AMD and attempted to grab it by myself. The gentleman with me said to me he would go get an electric forklift...I said nah, I got it...boy was I wrong. I’m a pretty big boy, but those things are beasty.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!