Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 08-09-2020, 07:47 AM

That is awesome info. Thanks.

Don
Old 08-14-2020, 02:44 PM

Default More PWM Questions, looking for guidance

Ok guys I’m trying to circle in on how I want to drive my fans and need a little help. There’s probably 15 different ways to do it but here’s where I’m at:
• Must be PWM other than that I’m open
Currently I have:
• Holley HP ECU
• 2 C6 PWM modules
• 2 13” Spal Brushed Fans (VA13-AP70/LL-63A
Full disclosure I tracked it and drove it for 18mths with I C6 PWM driving both fans but mid way through something “gave up” and the fans wouldn’t come on. So at the track I wired in two relay’s to drive my fans (on off). Never figured out why they stopped, just assumed I couldn’t drive both fans with 1 PWM modules. After that the car went into paint and everything came off.

Ok now its 2020 (which sucks for its own reasons) I’m putting everything back together and I’m doing a little research. First thought…did I screw up and try to drive PWM with a brushed fan? The Fans worked perfectly after I wired them to relays but did I fry the PWM?
So here’s my thought process
In Option #1 in my picture was my initial thought was just add another PWM but the more I read up about it, not sure you can do that with brushed fans.
Option #2: swap out fans with brushless fans and drive them with the Holley ECU and the Spal fans use a temp sensor to adj speed.
Option #3: same as option #2 but use the PWM table in the ECU to drive speed.

Any guidance or help would be appreciated

Old 08-14-2020, 03:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Tony,

It is hard to say exactly what failed. If you are willing to spend some money, then option #3 is the way to go.

I (and many others) have been using the C6 fan controller with brushed fans for years. My cheap Dorman C6 fan has been amazing with the C6 controller and Dominator ECU.

Reach out to me. I can probably save you some money and also be able to help with the tuning and wiring.

Andrew
Sending PM
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by andrewb70; 08-15-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:31 PM

My plan is to use my non GMPP E67 with my current non brushless Griffin radiator fans (Spal) driven by the C6 controller. I have vintage air. Is the pressure switch a must? I'd imagine so.

Everything is currently running discrete, but I hate the noise. I've been putting this off long enough, but the season is going to be winding down soon.

I have non-brushless fans, the controller and harness, otherwise I would've gone with the non brushless fans as this would be the easiest adaptation using the wiring that's already in place...unless I'm understanding this incorrectly.

Besides the pressure switch (if necessary), is there anything else I'm missing?
Old 08-15-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
My plan is to use my non GMPP E67 with my current non brushless Griffin radiator fans (Spal) driven by the C6 controller. I have vintage air. Is the pressure switch a must? I'd imagine so.

Everything is currently running discrete, but I hate the noise. I've been putting this off long enough, but the season is going to be winding down soon.

I have non-brushless fans, the controller and harness, otherwise I would've gone with the non brushless fans as this would be the easiest adaptation using the wiring that's already in place...unless I'm understanding this incorrectly.

Besides the pressure switch (if necessary), is there anything else I'm missing?
I mostly have experience with the Holley EFI, but from what I can see, I think you are good to go.

Andrew
My YouTube Channel
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
cpd004 (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 08:28 AM

Thanks Andrew...do you know if I definitely need a pressure sensor for the AC? I'm thinking I do, but not thoroughly sure. If so, not a big deal as here seem to be quite a few different ways to tap in to one of the lines or the drier.

Can someone post their table for the PWM vs Temp settings? If it matters, I'm working with an E67.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
Thanks Andrew...do you know if I definitely need a pressure sensor for the AC? I'm thinking I do, but not thoroughly sure. If so, not a big deal as here seem to be quite a few different ways to tap in to one of the lines or the drier.

Can someone post their table for the PWM vs Temp settings? If it matters, I'm working with an E67.
Having a pressure sensor is recommended, because then the ECU will demand a certain fan speed when the AC pressure reaches a certain point, regardless of engine temperature.

Andrew
My YouTube Channel
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
cpd004 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 12:55 PM

Default Course Correction

Well, a big shout out to Andrew guiding me and helping out a bunch but because I already had the fans and C6 PWM modules, here's what i got. I hope this helps others. I'm also assuming that tying two fans each probably killed my first module they had the potential to peak at 45amps each at start up (without PWM) so i'll let everyone know how this latest set up works for me. There's many new ways to do this but because i already had them this would be the quickest and cheapest....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony V For This Useful Post:
andrewb70 (08-17-2020), camcojb (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
Well, a big shout out to Andrew guiding me and helping out a bunch but because I already had the fans and C6 PWM modules, here's what i got. I hope this helps others. I'm also assuming that tying two fans each probably killed my first module they had the potential to peak at 45amps each at start up (without PWM) so i'll let everyone know how this latest set up works for me. There's many new ways to do this but because i already had them this would be the quickest and cheapest....

Tony,

I am looking forward to working with you more!

Andrew
My YouTube Channel
Old 08-24-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikels View Post
BTW - GM crate controller wiring joins fan1 and fan2 outputs to relay - need to separate to send fan1 only to PWM controller.

Dave

As a follow up to this statement, on my GMPP E67 kit, schematic says C3-49 being a green wire to fuse bus position 7D. Is someone familiar enough to detail what the process here is, with regards to splitting fan1 and fan2, to make appropriate input connection at PWM controller @ position 6?

Thank you in advance!

Andrew