Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Default '67 LS1/T-56 Camaro

Well i've been lurking on here for long enough... Its about time I add my project for scrutiny.

Late summer/early fall of last year I picked up a plane Jane '67 Camaro with the intentions of building it with corner carving in mind. Its nothing special, just a 327 with 2 speed powerglide so visions of a immaculately restored car will not be part of this project. I'm building this car to be driven... no chrome or trailer queen here. I expect rock chips, bug guts and marbles of melted rubber. I was told all the bodywork was done and it was ready for paint... but we've all heard that story before.

I will soon swap the LS1 and T-56 combo out of my '98 Z-28 donor car. I'm canibalizing the cooling system, brakes, ABS and AC.... quite possibly the rear end as well. The 67 came with boxes of new interior parts that in due time, will make their way in. I'm leaning towards Speedtech's control arms and tall spindles to go with QA1 coilovers up front. In the back I'm thinking most likely a minitub and fabricating a torque arm suspension and coilover conversion as well. Wheels are a different story.... I'm overwhelmed with selections, sizes and back spacing.

Once i get this '98 out of my garage I'll get some pics posted of the progress.... but here's my blank slate at the moment.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Welcome and thanks for sharing!

If you use the '98 rear end that will help you decide and or limit what wheel BS you can use...unless you narrow it of course. Did the car come with a 10 bolt? It actually might be stronger than the 98's?

I would strongly suggest just buying a new rear suspension rather than building one from scratch...it's a ton of work, been there done that! But back when I did it none of these 'kits' were available.

Again, welcome and we look forward to seeing the progress!!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:39 AM

It did come with a 10 bolt. I'm debating which rear to use. I intend to upgrade the rear end... Just not right now. If I use the 98 rear I already have the disks yet need to fab quite a bit. I haven't even looked into what's required to do a rear disk conversion.... But now you bring that up that the 10 bolt may be stronger.... That just may be the better option.