Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 PM

Default Hello Lateral-G...Finally!

After many years of drool-filled loitering on this site, I am finally ready to get my 68 Camaro project rolling again. I apologize for what is surely to be a long post but I am very excited to finally get rollin on this and am looking forward to any insight and experience you guys can give.

I bought the car in 1992 with new bad-ass midnight blue paint and a freshly built 327. Weekly top to bottom baths kept her spotless and the lopey 327 drew attention everywhere we went. The dream that began as a kid, became reality.
After 4 or 5 years, she started to show signs of cancer and a shoddy prep job before the new paint. Rust bubbles began popping up in several places, and in 2000, I stepped into the back seat and my foot nearly went through the floor! It was time! The replacement of the new floorpans very quickly became a 9" narrowed 1.5" on each side, Moser 31 spline axles, a Pro-Auburn with 3.89s, Comp. Eng. ladder bars, coil-overs, an 8-point cage, and bolt in sub-frame connectors that were then completely welded up!
I'm sure none of you have ever experienced a project spiral like that!
Unfortunately, life interceded, and over the next decade, my baby evolved into a shelving system in the garage.
Nearly twelve years later, due in large part to the inspiration I have received from the massive collection of incredible builds in the Lateral-G family, I have finally decided to get off my ass, finish what I started, and hopefully create something worthy of inclusion in a stable of truly bad-ass rides!
Now to the project...
The Lateral-G car I was immediately drawn to is Tom Lee's beautiful 68. I hope Tom doesnt mind, but I nabbed one of the pics of his car and photoshopped up my own vision.

That's the goal...here's where we are today...

The plan is:
SpeedTech Upper and Lowers, QA1's, and 1 1/8 hollow Sway Bar
Willwood 12.19 CD/SL 4-pistons all the way around
Keep the stock steering...maybe considering a Lee box...Opinions???
Brushed 17x8 and 17x10 or 11 Lateral G's or Rushforth Livewires...Havent really decided yet...even still considering 18's but just not sure if the size is worth the extra cost. 10 or 11 decision is mainly on whether or not I want to mini-tub the car. I feel like I almost have to in order to get the 305 or 315 "tucked" look that I want.
The engine on the stand is an LQ9 out of an '02 Escalade. I also have a fresh 4L60 ready to go. Eventually, I'd love to put some dishes in it, slap some twins on it and really go nuts, but for right now I just plan to put the TSP 233/239 Cam kit in the engine and leave everything else stock. From what I have seen and what TSP tells me, I should be able to get around 400 rwhp and 380-400 rwtq with a good tune. I have the factory computer that has already been "universalized". I have read a lot about the stock LQ9 intake not fitting under our hoods...but the measurements I have taken show that it should fit under a 3.5" cowl hood. Obviously, I wont know for sure until I can mock it up, but I cant see how it wont fit. I totally get that the LS6 intake looks a million times cooler and cleaner, but I cant justify spending the money for an intake, rails, TB, Injectors, plus all the accessory relocation stuff when the stock intake makes more power than all but the LSX-R.
Advice and Experience welcome!
Then there's the paint and body. Once the roller is all mocked up and ready to go, Im gonna gut it again and have the whole thing blasted to see how deep the cancer goes. There are a few spots that are worrysome...But overall, I don't think she is too bad!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:23 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Great write up. Welcome aboard!

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 AM

Welcome! Nice intro.

Let the house go .... NEVER give up your car!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Default Thx for the welcomes

Its funny that you three are the first to reply as I have been really studying the build threads for all 3 cars. The fabrication that KPC67 and SonarChief have been doing is very impressive and informative. I am looking to do as much of the fab on mine as I can, so having access to detailed step by step pics is very helpful.

Kevin, where did you get that backspacing tool that will hold the tire? I need one of those! Love the stance on the rear end!

Sonar Chief... keep the repair pics coming as many of my trouble spots are the same as yours. love it!

Then theres Scott. Not to get too gushy here, but your car is truly a work of art. I have been studying it just trying to figure out the right way to do things.

Thanks
Keith
Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Welcome Keith, nice build keep us updated.
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 PM

Kevin, where did you get that backspacing tool that will hold the tire? I need one of those! Love the stance on the rear end!

Keith, It is called the tire mount mate, a quick google search will take you to the website. To be honest it is not worth the money. Cris at JCG customs came up with one that looks much more sturdy, and easy to use. I would look to rent one from someone on here. You seem like you have the right idea by leaving the body alone for now, tweak it and drive it; make it look pretty when you know it all works.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM

welcome
Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 PM

Nice project! I like what u are doing. Keep us updated
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the welcomes!

Rybar,
Sweet 69! Love the color and the fikse's!
do you still have the TSP 233/239 112 in your car? Or at least an audio recording of it? I would love to get an idea of what it might sound like in my 6.0. I would expect it to have a nice little lope.
Thx

Kevin wrote:
Quote:
...Cris at JCG customs came up with one that looks much more sturdy, and easy to use. I would look to rent one from someone on here.
If that is really an option I would love to do something like that. Anybody in the Dallas or Houston area have a JCG customs wheel fit tool that I can rent?

Thx

'68 Camaro
'96 Impala SS (Built 12-13-96 The last day of SS production)

68 Camaro build

Last edited by 68LQ9; 01-22-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: clarification