Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 09-01-2015, 01:14 AM

Default New die hard from Arizona

Hello everyone, figured it was time for me to make a profile and add another forum to my daily routine! I'm Josh, and starting to get into building cars a bit more seriously. I've always done them with my dad growing up (still do), and now that I'm a couple years out of ASU and got some things settled, I can start building the cars I've always wanted to! I've always done more of the show car type of vehicle, no real muscle outside of my 11 second 75 Pontiac Astre GT. I've done restomod-ish type vehicles, lowered with 18's basically. Now I'm building my first actual pro-touring vehicle. But first, I'll go through a few past vehicles. My dad and I do all the work on these cars ourselves, minus engine machining/assembly, and stitching. I paint these cars.

71 Camaro. My dad's neighbor needed to sell this a few years ago. This was the first car my dad and I actually "partnered" on (rather than I assist on his build), and kind of started our recent more "collaborative" builds. It was a decent body in primer, just needed to fix some improper bodywork, interior, and add engine and trans. 350, 4 speed, was actually a sweet car when it was done. We liked the car, but I already have another 71 Camaro, and my dad has a 70 RS that are both keepers, so we didn't need this one as well.

71 Chevelle SS. Original SS 350 car, now a 454. My dad and I built this for his brother a couple years ago. Started as a total basketcase that arguably might not have been worth saving, if it weren't an original SS. This is our first ground up car (frame stayed on though, underside was blasted and painted intact). Built a nice 454/TH400 combo, restored every nut and bolt, and installed a TMI Sport R interior. Custom paint scheme turned out awesome, Cyber Gray sides/roof, black on the trunk and hood, then flopped back to gray SS stripes outlined in burgundy. Our first real foray into a more show winning car, and it was our first ever Goodguy's award winner, with the Chevy Muscle pick at Del Mar, 2013. We've entered many cars over the years and never got an award, this was a proud moment for us. This car is now being enjoyed by my uncle in the D.C. area.

My latest personal project I did was this 66 Mustang. It was kind of a "what if" scenario for me. I don't feel like early notchbacks are well represented, and aren't often built to a high level, so I wanted to see what I can do. The car had a 393/T5 already, so my changes were mostly cosmetic, plus some chassis, and a full interior. Chassis work was limited to dropping the front UCA's, rollerizing the spring mounts, and narrowing a 9". 13" Cobra brakes around, DSE SFC's, ET Wheels. Body mods were more extensive starting with subtle flaring of the rear wheelwells, custom front/rear valances, high rise spoiler integration (was a kit, but the fit was horrible, took a lot of work), and custom designed and machined taillights. Interior was TMI Sport XR including one of the first pairs of full door panels.

The latest chronologically is this 68 Buick GS350 my dad and I completed a few months ago. In keeping with our trend of stepping up our game with each build, this was our first full "frame off" restoration, all done in my dad's garage accomplished with 2 jacks, an engine hoist, and 2 4x4 wood sticks! This was more of a restoration with improved stance and wheels, but inch for inch this is our nicest, most detailed restoration.

And that's my (and my dad's) history! I'm currently working on a car I've always wanted, but was never able to find a good or reasonable example of... a 71 Firebird. The pic below is almost of the current state (the new quarter panel is tacked on... my first quarter install). The car is a good running 455/TH400 for now, I'll leave it like that until the rest of the car is done. I have all Ridetech suspension for the front, in boxes ready to go. Anvil Formula hood is on order. Plans are to rough out the bodywork so I can strip it to a shell and have the underside and subframe blasted, so I can begin welding the subframe up, and installing DSE minitubs, and start getting things bolted back on. I'll be ordering a Vintage Air Gen IV system soon, as well as a Ridetech 4 link setup, full floating 9", EFI setup, and Wilwood brakes. The plan is to have an all around capable car, something I can auto-x, road race, or drive across the country. Plan is to have it done for Goodguy's Del Mar, 2016, and more importantly, my sister's wedding shortly after.

As I got it, after I lowered the front and bolted some rollers on.

Sorry for getting so long winded, but hey, we all like pictures online! The other projects, range from PT to not so much... including another 71 Camaro, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 58 Edsel Pacer, 58 Edsel Ranger (soon to be gasser), 58 Edsel Ranger (soon to be roadster, yes we're sick), 65 Dart, 64 Riviera, 70 El Camino, 77 T/A. My dad's future projects are a 70 Camaro, 73 Firebird Formula, 67 Chevelle, 56 Chevy business coupe, just to name a few... so we have projects to keep us busy for awhile! Hoarders I guess is the name people use.
82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:51 AM

I love the paint job you guys did on the Chevelle. Unique & cool ... yet subtle. Sweet.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:58 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Welcome!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 AM

Cool

Welcome from a past Valley resident!

Love the cars...
Old 09-01-2015, 03:12 PM

Nice cars, welcome from a fellow Phoenician!

P.S. You'll like it better here than that other place

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133
Old 09-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
I love the paint job you guys did on the Chevelle. Unique & cool ... yet subtle. Sweet.
Thanks Ron, I appreciate it! The initial plan was gray with black stripes, but that's been done over and over again. This idea was created by my dad and I, over one evening over a bottle of rum and Pepsi, haha. It's striking in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLS2 View Post
Nice cars, welcome from a fellow Phoenician!

P.S. You'll like it better here than that other place
Well I'll definitely find out soon enough, haha. I figured I can never get too much information, or browse too many sites, so it's time I added lateral-g to the mix!
82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 PM

Welcome, you guys have serious talent. Nice work
Kevin
Old 09-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome to the site!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims