Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-25-2019, 12:18 PM

The transformation back to comfortable street car continues. Just pulled the 600# rear springs and put the 250# springs back in. Iinitial test drive shows my butt and back greatly appreciate the change.

Next on the list is a Trutrac to replace the locker.

These changes should not hamper the on course handling much at all since they were merely bandaids tir the lifting the inside rear tire issue that the new front swaybar fixed permanently
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
camcojb (07-28-2019), fleetus macmullitz (09-17-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 11:51 AM

Sounds like it's working out quite well!

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!
Old 08-20-2019, 11:16 AM

I have about 350 street miles now on the EFI setup. Andrew and I (mostly Andrew ) have been tweaking away on the tune and I think we are just about done with it. After working on the fuel table trying to clean up a few small problem spots, we finally started adding timing and that woke things right up. Turns out this Fastburn 383 likes more timing in the mid RPM range, a little bit more timing upper RPM WOT and a little less timing at idle. Who knew?

We now have it where it'll lug smoothly at 1200 RPM in 6th gear on the highway, pulls like a freight train everywhere else when asked and runs like a 5th Gen Camaro under normal everyday driving. Still haven't decided if I'll ever put it on a chassis dyno or not, only real reason would be to see what the torque and horsepower curves look like and where the peaks are. My butt dyno says the HP peak is a lot higher than the 5400 RPM it was before with the dual plane intake and Quadrajet though. I raised the rev limiter to 6400 from 6000 because I kept hitting it regularly with car still pulling hard. I hardly ever hit it before as I was shifting before it got there.

Couple other things I've cleaned up to make it more street friendly. I put a new blower fan relay in which not only lets the fan work at all 4 speeds now, but also doesn't kill the charging system when the fan is on high.

Took the 600# rear springs out and put 250# springs in and added a UMI Autocross rear sway bar back in. Both are a big improvement for street driving both in comfort and in feel, hopefully it'll still corner good once I get it on track again.

The brand new RE71s I picked up are now installed as well, way over due for them. Hopefully the new rear setup provides more rear forward bite grip and I won't kill these nearly as fast as the last set.

I was going to do a track day at Inde Motorsports Ranch Labor Day weekend as my first track test of all the new stuff, but a family deal came up so I'll have to miss that. Love track days and love that track but at the same time kind of happy that I'll have an autocross event or two to test all the new stuff out before thrashing the car on a big track once again.

Meanwhile, I'm just driving the car every chance I get. First tank of gas netted 11.5 MPG, it'll be interesting to see how the next tank ends up shortly. I'm hammering it pretty hard doing the EFI tuning so I expect it'll get better with more just regular driving. Not really the most important goal but a nice side effect if I can save a bit of fuel along the way.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
camcojb (08-20-2019), fleetus macmullitz (08-20-2019), Goosesdad (08-20-2019), mfain (08-20-2019), sls1025 (08-20-2019), TimeWarpF100 (09-17-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Awesome!!

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
The Following User Says Thank You to camcojb For This Useful Post:
SSLance (08-20-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 01:01 PM

I think I have my favorite two dash setups done now, thought I'd share them. I have about 350 miles on it now and with Andrew's help really have the tune dialed in nicely. I use the first dash most of the time just to watch and learn mostly, the second dash in the video helps me pay attention to load and AFRs better with the sweeps. Car idles and runs fantastic in every condition I've thrown at it so far. Got 11.7 MPG out of the first tank of fuel and 12.5 MPG out of the 2nd. I'm thinking it will get close to 20 MPG on a long highway trip and at least 15 MPG regular in town driving.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:03 PM

I don't normally put all four of my runs together in one video after an event but I thought some of you might enjoy watching me learn how to drive Digital Barney all over once again.

In the first couple of runs you can hear me barking the tires every time I get back onto the gas. The off idle throttle response of the new Holley EFI took some getting used too for sure. I also have a new rear spring and sway bar setup in the car which took some tweaking and getting used to as well. By the 4th run I was getting better at not breaking the tires loose on throttle and had the rear shocks a bit more dialed in to the new setup, but there is still work to do on the car (and the driver) for sure.

This was from the sidelines on my 3rd run I believe. The commentary from the announcer cracked me up...

It was good to knock 5 months worth of rust off the driver, it was good to see all the hard work over the summer on the car didn't have any hiccups, and we took first place in CAM T in the first event of the fall series. I'll need to step it up though as some of the others in class are nipping at my heels...
Old 09-16-2019, 05:32 PM

That is freakin' sweet. Unfortunately, it really makes a G-body lover want to swap in a 3rd pedal more than they already might want to....
Old 09-17-2019, 12:59 AM

Still following your YouTube!~ Looks like so much fun.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotI View Post
That is freakin' sweet. Unfortunately, it really makes a G-body lover want to swap in a 3rd pedal more than they already might want to....
Thanks.... And just do IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWarpF100 View Post
Still following your YouTube!~ Looks like so much fun.
Thanks man! Where are you at with the F100 these days?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Thanks.... And just do IT!!!

Thanks man! Where are you at with the F100 these days?
It's been down for 6 months after I sold the 427.

Bought a '18 F150 5.0 10spd at auction to use for donor but truck had minor damage so fixed it put on 5k mi in 3 months then sold it.

I had my last 3 FE engines at machine shop and they ruined all 3 blocks.
Back to square one.

Last week picked up a one of 5 Ford Raptor 450/510 crate engines so plan is to install it in the '66 F100 with a 10 spd auto using stock FoMoCo PCM.

They will make 490 HP @ tire with just a tune so should be fun with the 10 spd and the 3.50 rear gear.

Wish I only had one project but have 6 major projects at the moment and just a one man band. (with old age kicking in)