Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Damn it!!!, I'm never going to talk your wife out of that car now. The funky 70's paint scheme is really growing on me, kind of making me want to dig out a Foghat 8 track.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

This is THE car and body mods we all wanted to do to our Corvettes in the early 70's.... I like the fact that they left the headlights alone - because the worst mod ever was when they glassed 'em up and put those crap rectangles down in the grill.

#1 -- I would absolutely leave the flares on it - particularly if you plan to autocross it. You can't get much tire under these cars without them. Plus -- they're just badass.

#2 -- Since the CE motor is worth virtually nothing -- stick a nice crate LS motor in there and a 5 or 6 speed

#3 -- These cars are HOT --- the floorboards get hot (less so with the side exhaust) and on hot days will burn your feet... So if you really want her to drive it and enjoy it -- think about A/C

#4 -- If you have kids -- THEY WILL BURN THEIR LEGS on the side exhaust no matter how many times you warn them --- ask me how I know this.

#5 -- You will have a LINE of people that want to buy this car everywhere you go - every day - day in and day out. That's the very best part of owning a mid year. '69 Camaro's got nothing on mid year 'Vettes
Old 09-24-2013, 06:50 PM

Aaron - That paint job is Pimptastic, I'd change everything suspension wise and rock that paint job like it was still 1976.

My Build on Team Chevelle:http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396738
Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Love the car! Glad you plan to keep the paint as is for a while.

Greg's #5 is spot on. Get used to simply saying Hi it's not for sale when introducing yourself.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 09-24-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57hemicuda View Post
Damn it!!!, I'm never going to talk your wife out of that car now. The funky 70's paint scheme is really growing on me, kind of making me want to dig out a Foghat 8 track.
Good one Ron. She's gonna be a hard sell to talk her out of it for sure.
Nice talking to you today too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdlryan View Post
Aaron - That paint job is Pimptastic, I'd change everything suspension wise and rock that paint job like it was still 1976.
Thanks Ryan, lol it's different that's for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Love the car! Glad you plan to keep the paint as is for a while.

Greg's #5 is spot on. Get used to simply saying Hi it's not for sale when introducing yourself.
I've already had a few interested in it...crazy, but they are an iconic design for sure. Thanks!
66 Corvette, Spirit of '66
Project G-Vette
Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
This is THE car and body mods we all wanted to do to our Corvettes in the early 70's.... I like the fact that they left the headlights alone - because the worst mod ever was when they glassed 'em up and put those crap rectangles down in the grill.
Hehe, hoped you would check in Greg. I was only 3 when the car was customized, so I'll have to believe you. I hear you on the rectangular lights though, I've seen them and it ruins the look. These flares don't look too bad IMO.

#1 -- I would absolutely leave the flares on it - particularly if you plan to autocross it. You can't get much tire under these cars without them. Plus -- they're just badass.
Yep, that's a roger, they are staying for now and probably if we ever do a repaint down the road. Infact, I may consider raising the front flares a bit more to be able to get the nose down. If you follow the body crease line down the car, you'll see what I mean (front arch is on the line where the rear is above it)
#2 -- Since the CE motor is worth virtually nothing -- stick a nice crate LS motor in there and a 5 or 6 speed
Talk to me on this: As far as I've concluded, only the block has been replaced. Heads on up are correct to 66. LS motor is definitely in it's future, but down the road a way.
#3 -- These cars are HOT --- the floorboards get hot (less so with the side exhaust) and on hot days will burn your feet... So if you really want her to drive it and enjoy it -- think about A/C
Point taken. We are in MI, so long times of hot weather (to compound the hot car) are few and far. Heck we're already in the upper 50's now However, sitting in lines at events, things do get warm I've noticed...
#4 -- If you have kids -- THEY WILL BURN THEIR LEGS on the side exhaust no matter how many times you warn them --- ask me how I know this.
LOL, kids?? I've already smoked mine We are looking into some heat shield options, maybe something custom. We love the side pipe look, and especially the sound

#5 -- You will have a LINE of people that want to buy this car everywhere you go - every day - day in and day out. That's the very best part of owning a mid year. '69 Camaro's got nothing on mid year 'Vettes
Never thought we'd be "Covette people", but I already know what you mean.
Should be a fun journey. So many things I want to do to it, unfortunately there are so many things we have to do to it first.
Thanks for your comments GW.
66 Corvette, Spirit of '66
Project G-Vette
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 PM

I still have dreams about the mid year that had just got painted and was sitting at Dee Westcotts (Yes the body manufacturer) -- it was pearl white -- with two blue candy stripes -- side exhaust (the header into chromed aftermarket versions)... duck tail -- flares... and Tiger Paw wide ovals....

I think I was 16 or 17 at the time. That car has haunted my dreams... it was pure perfection. We all wanted the Trans Am look back then (that would have been 1969ish).

+++++++++++++++++++++

My point on the motor -- nothing wrong per se with a CE motor.... it's just a factory replacement. Might have been a warranty issue back then -- you know - like the idiot blew it up -- or floated the valves til they let go.... or maybe it was just a factory oil eater.

You want to keep the motor and all the stuff.... you don't want to separate them. BUT --- a good quality rebuild will cost you several grand -- and for about the same money you can have a far superior engine.... Of course there's more to it than just the motor -- because it'd be EFI so you have pumps and all that jazz.... But my 2 cents worth would be to have a car that was totally reliable and leak free for the bride. Your car - your dime - you do it the way you see fit.

She may also want an automatic - the new ones are so dang good.

Also -- best cheap money improvement on these is the single rear phenolic leaf spring...

With these old Vettes - just make sure you have a plan and the people working on it realize what these "old junk parts" are worth.... Vette stuff fetches some good prices if you decide to sell off the pieces you don't want -- but keep in mind -- once you do -- you've destroyed a lot of value down the road. The real money in these is in a restoration not the resto mod. Having said that -- I'd never own one that was stock... I'll let the collectors of the world have 'em. They pack 'em away in cotton balls and brag about their certificate they got at the last "meet". Been there done that. BORING.

Just sayin that if you tear into it -- and have the motor redone - the guy will deck that block and wipe out the CE stamp and the factory broach marks -- and then you'll have absolutely nothing but an old block. So these are things to learn about.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 PM

Just another thought after I read the last post ---- A GM crate motor rather than an LS motor --- Like the 350 HO motor can be bought complete carb to pan for way less than the cost of a rebuild... so maybe you just clean up the old CE motor - and park it as a conversation piece. Drive the new crate motor -- they even come with warranty's!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM

I love it. It brings me back to my younger days!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 PM

everyone... Thanks for the nice comments/suggestions on my ride...but I have to tell you....absolutely no on the automatic.