Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 PM

I also think a unibody car is gonna make more noise then a separate chassis car when you add stiff racing parts to the car. Just my 2 cents.

As far as the real difference between then 4 link and the torque arm. I think in the end they are really for all intensive purposes going to feel the same when done. What do you want and what is going to fit your specific application the best.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
....................... Problem solved
really? did we replace Keith also?
Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod P View Post
really? did we replace Keith also?
LOL not Yet!!
Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 PM

Well I guess this is where i chime in....

The noise is due to gear noise being transmitted and amplified up the TA into the floor right were you sit. It is aweful when there is a light load on the drivetrain, ie cruise. We never addressed this, and yes we run a fullfloat 9" with trutrac.

The TA failed because of insufficient shock valving. The shocks we used were top quality AFCO shocks, double adjustable. Not an actual drag shock with no rebound. With that being said, the shocks are likely a bit too soft on the rebound side, and will be addressed or replaced, Rodney what did you lose my number? The hop occurred under very hard braking on poor surfaces when approaching a stop. This actualy bent the TA in the opposite direction, and found the weakest link in the arm, then tore. Thank God it didn't completely fail while driving.

Blake furnished us with a shock/spring package to try, and a new beefed up TA. We went from 225 to 300# rear springs. and a custom valved set of ridetech single adj shox. The ride was horrible. We started with the rebound in the middle. After 6 runs, we backed off the rebound about 5 clicks from the middle setting, and the car responded well by freeing up the rear instead of overpowering the front end. The rear was really hooked up, almost too much corner bite. We actually had the rear of the car hop mid corner, and softening the rebound helped this well. I was more pleased with the car than I had been since we put the set up in. Then I hopped in Sean's car which has my old leafspring set up in it and ran about .5 seconds faster.

So when we got home and unloaded the car, I found the panhard mount was nearly broken off the rear crossmember/shock mount. Yikes. Likely from the side loading, stiff shocks, etc. Again glad it didn't completely fail while driving. We shared this info with Blake to consider making changes to the durability of the panhard mount.

As of right now, our car is still broken, and our season cut short. We will fix it and make some improvements, which we haven't completely come up with a game plan.

In conclusion. We chose Speedtech TA because we didn't feel we had the time or resources to design our own rear set up and Speedtech has a good reputation and are a bunch of good guys whom we have built a relationship with over the past few years. We also wanted a product to offer to our customers to compliment the rest of our product line. We only sell stuff we run at custom works. The installation of the TA was a breeze. Fit and finish is very high. on a average street driven car, this set up would be great, especially on a mini tub big tire car. We run our car to the limits, and apparently slightly beyond! I'm confident that this has been a good learning experience for ALL of us. We will see you guys NEXT season.

Keith Smith
Custom Works Performance

Mike- thanks for pointing this thread out for me
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 PM

Well said Keith - appreciate the detail, honesty, and understanding. Good luck getting it sorted so you can hammer it like you obviously enjoy doing.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks71z28 View Post
Rodney what did you lose my number?
ha ha ha ha No.. ..just in a thrash with working towards SEMA...
Bangshift Stories
I’m not the smartest guy at the track … but when he goes home … I’m still there testing, tuning, learning & getting faster.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Default Bret & Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
... runs Afco double adjustable shocks. the valving on them (according to Afco is a Drag Race set up) is SUPER soft ... and even Ron Sutton... said flat out "no way you should be getting any brake hop from a torque arm unless the shocks are too soft or too firm). due to the shock not being able to control the rear suspension.
I'm running AFCO double adjustable shocks with my BMR TA. Although I've experienced no wheel hop as of yet it sounds like I need a set of RideTechs with Ron's secret sauce!
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Old 05-23-2019, 12:21 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Ron Sutton should start a business helping people build and tune these cars He's everywhere!

Dan

Yeah — he really should just go away, and stay away, and stop flapping his lips.

Or as a customer once told me as I walked in to the shop - and he’s pointing his finger at the door I just walked thru —- I’ll give you an order! Get out! Stay out! And don’t come back! 😂