Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Man Caves
User Name
Password

Old 01-25-2018, 06:53 AM

Hi Todd,
They sloped my 24x28 garage and I don't care for it.

Too fast of a slope near the side walls and it makes it hard to "arrange" things. Tool boxes roll, sandblaster had to be shimmed on the front legs, shelves shimmed, etc.

Although they did a great job on it otherwise and in 19 years it hasn't heaved or cracked. I live in Colorado so maybe they were trying t keep the water off the sill, and I built the structure and could be they didn't trust me to keep it dry?

Fortunately I took half of the 24x40 pole barn I built for my car projects so now I have a dedicated space, and all I do in the garage is park and storage.

Thought I would mention it.

Joe

My 68 Torino
Old 01-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Congrat's. Great floor plan. Might have to copy it someday....I like the living room only plan, great room, its all we really need...

No slope if your planning on lift later. You can always do 1/8" per foot, you wont feel it, but like greg said, easy to hose off.
Also, i used the rustoleum at home depot, did it myself. 14 years ago did beige/tan then three years ago went gray (right over it). No problems with hot tire adhesion, but, Vegas, not so sure. However, it only cost $200 and my 1.5 hour of labor.

How tall are the ceilings?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post

I decided on a level slab with a pitch the last 4' to keep the rain out.
So what is the pitch on that last 4 feet?
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 PM

Thanks fellas!

They poured my foundation today and stripped the garage footing forms. They pour my garage tomorrow. It will be flat until the last 3' of the daily driver side and last 5.5' of my shop. The shop side is deeper and the slope will line up. He told me the slope and I think it's 1/8" per foot. I'm just hoping to keep the rain out. You know, best of both worlds. I'm a pain in the ass! I was talking to the concrete super that works for my GC and told him I'm a bit of an anal bastard. He said, That's what I heard. I do it with grace so that makes it ok, right? I always tell my GC, I know what I want.

For instance, they had my water supply lines to my island laying in the dirt before the type 2 and sand. I said, let's sleeve those babies so I don't have to jack hammer up my kitchen in 15 years! Done It's a custom house and I'm putting my best foot forward. I love the details.

You should see a deeper area in my shop where the concrete will be 6" deep for my TWO POST lift. That's what real mechanics and MEN use. Ha Ha Ha Couldn't help myself.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vegas69; 01-25-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:19 AM

Looking good... There are several stages of this process that are more exciting than others, Slab poured, framing finished, and finish details after drywall are my favorites.

Doing a custom build is fun...adding details like you have done is cool. I remember adding PVC sleeves under the front sidewalk so my gutter downspouts wouldn't just lay on the sidewalk. Back in 1993 our house was the only one around to have such a thing, now they all do it back in the Midwest.

There are times when I'd really like to do that on our new one...like right now when I'm trying to figure out a way to get more power to the RV garage. It would be so simple to run a bigger line to the sub panel now but that is not in the cards with this builder. I'm trying to bribe the pool contractor to run more power than he needs for the pool equipment at the back of the shop but he says that will require re-permitting and I can't let that cause any delays either.

I'll probably end up cobbling it in after the fact down the road, conduit through the house garage and buried to a second panel in the shop. What a PITA but it is what it is...
Old 01-26-2018, 10:00 AM

I love a project and custom build, but it does come with a cost as you know. You CAN save money on a tract house if you don't go bananas on upgrades. Up here, the builders mark everything up tremendously. Some things are close to double the actual cost. They make a bunch of their profit in mark ups. I have my fingers on every number and cost, it comes down to will power. Do I really need it? HA
Old 01-26-2018, 10:26 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I remember building our first house (first to actually build rather than buy existing)..... We're doing a lot of things to it that we WANT..... The agent says to me one day ---- "you know,...... you're house is not going to appreciate the same as your neighbors."

My response - I'm not building an investment, I'm building "MY HOME".... and "I" will APPRECIATE it every day.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 PM

^ I see what you did there...
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 01-26-2018, 07:28 PM

Garage turned out pretty damn nice...
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2018, 12:44 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Looking good Brother.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.