Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts
Default Camaro LT5

Here we go again..... Another 1969 Camaro California Black plate all original sheet metal donar Car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WILWAXU (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 PM

So far nice solid car.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:43 PM

kholubar (07-05-2020)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:44 PM

Got to have an LT5 and BIG Brembo brakes.

fleetus macmullitz (03-08-2020), kwhizz (06-05-2019), redfire69 (06-04-2019), WILWAXU (06-03-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post

Got to have an LT5 and BIG Brembo brakes.
Tried to send a message but box is full again. Can you go into some detail on how the C6 ZR1 caliper and ZL1 rotor worked together? I know on IG you said a custom rotor hat but i'd like to hear as much detail as possible. I'm wanting to eventually get out of the wilwoods on my car and move to something more OEM quality.
2018 GMC Denali HD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to will69camaro For This Useful Post:
Jjsqwuik (01-24-2021), SuperB70 (04-21-2020)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Tried to send a message but box is full again. Can you go into some detail on how the C6 ZR1 caliper and ZL1 rotor worked together? I know on IG you said a custom rotor hat but i'd like to hear as much detail as possible. I'm wanting to eventually get out of the wilwoods on my car and move to something more OEM quality.

There is a bit of a story. I love the Carbon Ceramic brake set up on the C6 ZR1, but they require a lot of brake cooling to work correctly. I did that on Hellfire and they work great. I did not do that on Jackass and they would get too hot.

To get better brake performance with out all the extra complexity of big cooling ducts you can add Thermal Mass (Iron Rotors).

I wanted to swap the Carbon Rotors on Jackass to Iron. The new CTS-V and ZL1 use a 390 mm iron rotor that is the same thickness as a 393 mm Carbon Ceramic rotor. The 3 mm delta is taken up by the pad.

OK easy I’ll swap the 390 mm iron rotors on Jackass. Issue is the offset on the CTS-V and ZL1 hat is different. No problem I have friends with CNC machining centers that make gun parts. I was informed the tolerances on my brake hats are tighter then gun parts.

So I got some ZL1 Rotors and added my custom hats.

To recap. Stock C6 ZR1 calipers, 390 mm Gen 6 ZL1 Rotors and custom hats. The ZR1 calipers use the same brake pad shape for Carbon Ceramic and Iron Rotors.

I had all this stuff laying around so I’m going to try it.

It will be easier to buy a Brembo kit.

Mark

fleetus macmullitz (03-08-2020), rat_rod_russell (06-08-2019), redfire69 (06-06-2019), Roscoe03 (06-05-2019), Sparks67 (06-12-2019), will69camaro (06-05-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 AM

I also noticed the Grand Prix. Looks like the one Holley was building a couple of years ago.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Default Production Hats?

fwiw I noticed the 1st gen Firebird to the left...

I went with KORE3 brakes on my car for the OEM reasons stated above.

Any chance of a production run of modified ZL1 rotor hats in the future should these prove your theory Mark?
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 PM

Very great info on the brakes your a world of info. What Diff are you going to run in this car? I just had one go with 700 miles on it and I know you beat on your cars. Ford 9 from DSE and a eaton its DONE! I didn't even get to work on it. Found broken parts and a washer in the bottom. Cant wait to see this LT5 push this car around the track .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
There is a bit of a story. I love the Carbon Ceramic brake set up on the C6 ZR1, but they require a lot of brake cooling to work correctly. I did that on Hellfire and they work great. I did not do that on Jackass and they would get too hot.

To get better brake performance with out all the extra complexity of big cooling ducts you can add Thermal Mass (Iron Rotors).

I wanted to swap the Carbon Rotors on Jackass to Iron. The new CTS-V and ZL1 use a 390 mm iron rotor that is the same thickness as a 393 mm Carbon Ceramic rotor. The 3 mm delta is taken up by the pad.

OK easy I’ll swap the 390 mm iron rotors on Jackass. Issue is the offset on the CTS-V and ZL1 hat is different. No problem I have friends with CNC machining centers that make gun parts. I was informed the tolerances on my brake hats are tighter then gun parts.

So I got some ZL1 Rotors and added my custom hats.

To recap. Stock C6 ZR1 calipers, 390 mm Gen 6 ZL1 Rotors and custom hats. The ZR1 calipers use the same brake pad shape for Carbon Ceramic and Iron Rotors.

I had all this stuff laying around so I’m going to try it.

It will be easier to buy a Brembo kit.

Mark

https://lateral-g.net/members/williams69/
The Following User Says Thank You to jwillia2 For This Useful Post:
Scubachef (11-30-2020)
Old 06-21-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillia2 View Post
Very great info on the brakes your a world of info. What Diff are you going to run in this car? I just had one go with 700 miles on it and I know you beat on your cars. Ford 9 from DSE and a eaton its DONE! I didn't even get to work on it. Found broken parts and a washer in the bottom. Cant wait to see this LT5 push this car around the track .
Ford 9 inch gears are my nemesis. I have lost track of how many sets I have failed in my life. I do not think it is the fault of the diff assemblers. My data shows it is poor gear manufacturing. I attempt to use real Ford gears and they seem to be the quietest and most durable. Occasionally you will get a good aftermarket set of gears. I found out that most gear suppliers set up there tooling / gear grinding and let it run until it is way out of tolerance. So if you get an "Early" set they may be good and if you get one of the last ones they maybe bad.

US Gear is going to make some "Stealth Gear" that are suppose to be more to OE tolerances. My buddy has a set to test on how quite they using some "real" measuring equipment. (An actual engineering test).

I hope they are good and stay good. Our community needs a better solution than digging though junk yards to find usable old Ford gears to get a quite gear set.

Mark
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (06-21-2019), LS1-IROC (06-24-2019), rat_rod_russell (06-25-2019), Sonar Chief (05-14-2021)