Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 AM

Hi David ,

looking for some expert advise.

I want to build a first gen camaro next year.
What would you recommend for front suspension to best match with the Morrison IRS.

Project will mainly be used for street / highway very occasional track day, we don't have as many autocross events as you guys.

How is the Morrison IRS price wise compared to the RS Fast track IRS.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
Ron,
I have my rear IRS in the shop for my 67 Camaro & will begin the install within the next week. I've been told there is very little cutting needed compared to a second gen. My engine should be done in a month so I can start building my headers then. It's a tall deck RHS block. I think I'll get it running before doing the body work, then finish the fenders to suit my wheels and tires, then tear it down over winter and paint it. Autocross is ending at Marina by the end of the year and I'd like to run the car a few times locally & work on the setup before I have to start towing longer distances to events. If I don't get it running by late year, I'll just paint it, then run it next year. I'd love to have it in good shape for the USCA events next year.

I'll start a project thread when I make some progress on the IRS install. Not much to see right now except the junk I'm throwing out/moving in my shop, I'm making room so I can move my Camaro around.
The nice thing is, our cars will be the same under the skin, Although I'm running the LG drop spindles and Mary isn't.

Morrison recommended I get new frame rails with my IRS. They make their own first gen frame rails. The assembly comes as shown below and I was advised to fit it in the car as a unit. They recommend cutting out the factory frame rails but leaving the spot welded flanges in place. This gives a thicker area to weld the new rails to. I'll sand blast the stock rails before cutting. The paint on Mary's frame rails was tough to remove, it's whatever JCG used.

The suspension comes aligned so you can measure from the hubs to the fender openings to get it centered up.
My IRS:
Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 PM

We are using the Morrison front sub for both Mary's 73 Camaro, my 67 Camaro, and James Shipka's One Lap Camaro (67) OLC has the Lateral Dynamics 3 link and he just ran at the USCA event at Laguna Seca. I'm sure he will agree the car is the best it has ever been. The IRS will work with any front suspension you choose, even stock, but on a First Gen Camaro, the extra tire room an aftermarket sub provides is a big improvement in getting adequate rubber up front.

Here is a quote on pricing from Craig Morrison that was posted on Pro-Touring.com
Quote:
Ok, so going back through this thread, the one thing I wanted to address is the pricing. When Super Chevy did the story on Matt's car, it was in the advanced prototype stage and we had no clue as to what the price was going to be, so with a best guess I put a number together. Please keep in mind that that also included the entire rear weld-in subframe for a 1st Gen car as well.

So, for what we have available now here is the pricing and component breakdown:
IRS Cradle
Strange S60 differential
Upper control arms
Front lower control arms (with Johnny Joints)
Rear lower control arms (with Johnny Joints)
Toe link kit
5th Gen Camaro knuckles machined to accept C6 hubs
C6 30-spline hubs
5th Gen Camaro parking brake kit
Two-piece adjustable sway bar
Cradle bushing kit
Driveshaft Shop 30 spline axle package w/ 930 CV joints
JRI non-adjustable monotube coil-overs
5th gen Camaro disc brake kit 12.4" rotor

This package (which is rated at 1400+ RWHP) is priced at $11,500
This IRS package can be added to any rear subframe or chassis in our line-up. We also have sold a number of these packages with loose brackets so customers can graft it into existing chassis and subframes. There are also numerous options available on the shocks and brakes.

The two biggest pricing factors in this IRS is the Strange S60 center and high HP Driveshaft Shop axles with the 930 CV's. We are going to be offering a package very shortly with a few different options for OE Camaro diffs as well as a more affordable axle package from Driveshaft Shop - power rating should still be in the 700-800 RWHP range.

Hope this answered a few questions regarding the pricing... Any more please let me know.

AME Site
http://www.artmorrison.com
AME Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...01846653183796
Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 AM

Very cool set up.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:53 PM

David / Matt,

As delivered, these setups do not come with any sort of powder or other coatings, correct? Is that an option, or is it left up to the customer?

What is the estimated time of delivery for a complete setup?

THanx,
Bryan
Old 05-08-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
David / Matt,

As delivered, these setups do not come with any sort of powder or other coatings, correct? Is that an option, or is it left up to the customer?

What is the estimated time of delivery for a complete setup?

THanx,
Bryan
I think they can coat them but generally discourage it's likely to get scuffed when being shipped. They strap the sub down with metal bands which could leave marks. The crates are awesome but the sub could get scuffed regardless.
I would guess delivery would take a little over a month, but you better get an answer from Morrison on that. They would have to order the Diff & Axles from Strange and the Driveshaft Shop so that needs to figure into the time it takes.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
I think they can coat them but generally discourage it's likely to get scuffed when being shipped. They strap the sub down with metal bands which could leave marks. The crates are awesome but the sub could get scuffed regardless.
I would guess delivery would take a little over a month, but you better get an answer from Morrison on that. They would have to order the Diff & Axles from Strange and the Driveshaft Shop so that needs to figure into the time it takes.
99.9% chance they won't coat anything they send. To many issues with doing so.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 PM

I got to see Mary's Camaro in action last Sunday at the autocross in Marina--it was awesome. What was weird was how much more it moved like a newer Corvette than an old track car. The body and wheels were in constant motion (independently), and yes, the car stuck like an angry !@#$%.

What was fun was relaying Mary's time to a kind of intense guy who runs a GT2 or GT3 Porsche (with slicks). He was in chronic disbelief, and I quite enjoyed reassuring/informing him of what he'd witnessed. He was not beating the old Camaro...

I was glad to finally run the Marina course, and it sucks to hear that it will be gone soon (I've heard the same about Mather, with only two weekends this year). After doing Goodguys on Saturday, Marina felt like a giant truckstop--totally awesome contrast. With all the room, I couldn't figure out where to put my car ('cuz I suck, and have nil auto-x experience); I might have done better pulling my car on the trailer, and I still wouldn't have hit any cones.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:38 PM

That's great news. Hoping Mary will kick some butt this season.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:19 PM

Default AM Triangulated 4-Bar

Hi David,
It has been awhile since I have been on the site but was really excited to see what you have done on the 2nd Gen IRS installation. There was little info out there on what is involved. Your posts are a breath of hi octane fuel with great pictures!
I have been sitting with a AM Rear sub frame project for a year or so trying to decide if I am capable of tackling its installation. I have the AM front subframe, DSE tubs. My buddies have told me to not tackle it and go another route. Well, your pictures while a different install have some help clear the air on what is involved. Many of the same challenges I expect I will have. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to post them.
I expect I will have to completely cut out the frame rails, raise the trunk pan, fab up the floor similar to what you have done inside. Lots of work but looks doable to me now that I have seen some of what is involved.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Good stuff Dave!.. that IRS looks killer!.. can't wait to see it run on the track!
Sucks about Marina.. hope I can get mine finished up soon to get a few runs in.