Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 AM

Another big hurdle for this build were the brakes. these are modeled after ZR1 corvette brakes. I got the "hat" and front rotor done last night. hopefully I can get started on the front caliper tonight.

Artwork Page
Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 PM

Don't know why I never thought of this before but between what's going on over at one of the diecast forums and something you said kinda jogged my memory. Why don't you go with aluminum hoops and resin centers? The 1/18 scale market is starting to see some strides in that regards. I will say, Germany is like 1:18 accessory mecca right now. If you had a good design for the centers, you could adjust the hoops to be whatever. I think you'd just have to look at tires but from what I've heard, those can be done in resin too. Nitto Invos...yum. Some of these guys are "gettin it done" pretty damn fast from concept to production!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 PM

I'm not sure if I will have the hoops machined or not. That was the original intent. My plan is to use the printed pieces to get the suspension set up, as well as determine the backspacing. Once all of that is taken care of, I will decide whether to have the "sleeves" machined or not. I've got a few machinist friends so that may happen. As for the tires, at this point, my plan is to model them, have them printed, and then molded and cast in rubber. The only problem is $$$

Artwork Page
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM

What is the range of what it would cost to get wheels and tires done, if you don't mind me asking? I don't understand the 3D printing apect yet. Guess I need to look that up.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM

3D printing.

Essentially, you create a 3D file, CAD/Solidworks drawing. Send it to someone and they print it in plastic. The machine essentially uses plastic wire to "print" the part!

It has been a while since I've done a cost analysis on wheels. The lats time I got an estimate to do it start to finish, sleeves centers and all was $250-300. For just sleeves, I would like to think I could get them done for $50 or so. but I'm afraid its going to end up closer to $100. Tires, to get them printed, it should only cost $20-30. I would get a pair of each printed so that they could be molded in pairs. I've heard rumors of the capability to print in rubber. That would make it much easier. Anyway, once I got the 3D prints, I would send them to someone to make molds. I know some people who create and sell resin copies of parts for the large scale models. I would essentially pay for the mold to be done and leave them with them and work out some deal to allow them to sell them. Typically molds cost anywhere from $50-200+

Artwork Page
Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 PM

Damn. On the one hand, $300 is expensive to spend on wheels for a plastic, static display model BUT...I'm crazy. Sometimes you can't dwell on the cost too much for too long. LOL To me, it would be worth it to have "that" set of wheels. I'd do it just because my OCD would never let me live with a stock model. If I ever get around to buying a 1:12 Lamborghini, I might get your source information. As of today, what's your color going to be?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 AM

Still not sure about the color. It will go back to sunset orange or get sprayed with cyber gray.

Artwork Page
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 PM

Well, I got a little package in the mail today. My prototype parts arrived from the 3D printer. It turns out that the mating ring for the wheel face wasn't printable in its current format so I will have to tweak it. The plastic I had these printed in prints very rough not near good enough for finished quality pieces. I have learned quite a bit so far from looking at these pieces. The most important: the wall thickness isn't as much as it appears on the screen! the sleeves are too thin IMHO. I am also on the fence about the overall look of the wheels. I feel like the spokes are too thin. I like the general design, I just feel that maybe the spokes could be a bit wider. As far as wheel size, this is what I've mentioned about scale correctness not always looking correct. These should be 20" wheels, though they still look a tad bit small.

Artwork Page
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 AM

That does look pretty damn thin. Progress though.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 PM

I re-worked the centers and sleeves last week. I re-ordered those parts along with some trial runs of the brake components I have completed so far.

Artwork Page