Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 08-24-2020, 02:10 PM

GMPP harnesses only.

I have tried separating them and have been unsuccessful at getting two separate fan controls. You can operate two separate relays, with two separate fans but they will turn on and off at the same time.

......and once they come on, will not shut off until a set speed is reached, regardless of temperature.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 08-24-2020, 02:14 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
GMPP harnesses only.

I have tried separating them and have been unsuccessful at getting two separate fan controls. You can operate two separate relays, with two separate fans but they will turn on and off at the same time.

......and once they come on, will not shut off until a set speed is reached, regardless of temperature.
This seems like more evidence to the fact that at some point GM changed the ECU in their kits.

The GMPP harness and ECU in my GTO were purchased in 2008. I don't have a speed input to the ECU. My fans turn on around 210 and turn off around 205.

Andrew
Please get in touch if I can be of service.
My YouTube Channel
Old 08-31-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
This seems like more evidence to the fact that at some point GM changed the ECU in their kits.

The GMPP harness and ECU in my GTO were purchased in 2008. I don't have a speed input to the ECU. My fans turn on around 210 and turn off around 205.

Andrew
A buddy of mine assures me he has the PWM fan working on the GMPP controller kit. He says the PWM signal terminal is connector J3, pin 49. Check that you are using that for the signal & not the exiting fan wire that triggers the relay for on/off fan.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:25 PM

Also I found this site that sells the fittings for the AC pressure switch.

https://www.bp-automotive.com/produc...-conditioning/
The Following User Says Thank You to samckitt For This Useful Post:
Avgasman (09-04-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 02:20 PM

I am second guessing myself and don't know if this has been answered anywhere throughout this discussion. Is the Ford Fusion controller:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=7097004&jsn=3

looking for 100 or 128 Hz? I'm hoping it will play nice with my E67 and dual Spal 14" fans (Griffin assembly).

I have a Speartech harness that has no provision for the AC pressure switch signal to go back to the E67 currently.

I also have Vintage Air and a trinary switch plumbed in. I haven't gotten around to actually filling the system to use it. It's been running a dual relay configuration in discrete mode since it's been together, but the quest to quiet the noise down and better control the temp's has me going the PWM route.

I, too, have a trunk mounted battery and am planning on using the engine bay mounted distribution block currently used by my relay/discrete fan set up. Someone else asked about any potential issues running this was early on in this thread, but no one replied.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
I am second guessing myself and don't know if this has been answered anywhere throughout this discussion. Is the Ford Fusion controller:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=7097004&jsn=3

looking for 100 or 128 Hz? I'm hoping it will play nice with my E67 and dual Spal 14" fans (Griffin assembly).

I have a Speartech harness that has no provision for the AC pressure switch signal to go back to the E67 currently.

I also have Vintage Air and a trinary switch plumbed in. I haven't gotten around to actually filling the system to use it. It's been running a dual relay configuration in discrete mode since it's been together, but the quest to quiet the noise down and better control the temp's has me going the PWM route.

I, too, have a trunk mounted battery and am planning on using the engine bay mounted distribution block currently used by my relay/discrete fan set up. Someone else asked about any potential issues running this was early on in this thread, but no one replied.
I can't answer everything, but I will what I can.

You want 128Hz. Depending on the amp draw of those fans, one of those controllers may not be enough. That controller is rated for a 400watt fan (Volts X Amps = watts). If you it wouldn't be hard to exceed that power rating with two 14" SPALs.

Andrew
My YouTube Channel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewb70 For This Useful Post:
cpd004 (09-06-2020), kwhizz (09-13-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 06:50 PM

So the Fusion controller is also looking for 128 hz?
Old 09-08-2020, 02:29 PM

My fans are : VA08-AP10/C-23A 12V

I thought that the -23A would be the amps, but when I google this part number, I get 6.3A draw

https://the-fan-man.com/product/14-s...tric-fan-s385/

https://www.spalautomotive.it/axial-...10_c-23a/31689

Which is correct to multiply by for the wattage?

I was also looking at the configuration on my SS sedan. It has a controller with two outputs going to each of two different looking fans. The opposite side also looks similar to the Yazaki connector although with much heavier gauge wire.

I'll have to get a better look at it when I have more time.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
So the Fusion controller is also looking for 128 hz?
Yes.

Quote:
My fans are : VA08-AP10/C-23A 12V

I thought that the -23A would be the amps, but when I google this part number, I get 6.3A draw

https://the-fan-man.com/product/14-s...tric-fan-s385/

https://www.spalautomotive.it/axial-...10_c-23a/31689

Which is correct to multiply by for the wattage?
My guess is that the fan draws 6-7 amps while running and 23 at startup. Since you have soft start with PWM, you would use the 6-7 amp value. Based on this information, I wouldn't exactly call these "powerful" fans.

I bet those SS fans work well!

Andrew
My YouTube Channel
Old 09-09-2020, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes...at 956 CFM, I can see why one never turns off while idling at 90+. Loud and annoying. It didn't get hot enough for the 2nd to turn on. It didn't overheat, but I never got stuck in one spot for a very long time.

I haven't had much luck with Griffin. This is the second. The first leaked. Summit replaced it. The second leaked as well in the same place as the first just out of warranty. I had a local shop repair it late last year. So far it's ok, but it may be just a matter of time before it does once again. I'm not duprised that the fans are such low flowing.

My dilemma is either to go ahead and work with what I have as the CFM of both together should be ok, or upgrade the fans alone hoping the radiator holds out. I've spent quite of time ensuring it's mounted with vibration and isolation in mind.

The SS radiator mounts sort of oddly if I was to try and locate the whole thing to try. Plus, who knows how that controller would get along with my E67. The SS is an E38 I believe.