Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Classifieds > What's it Worth
User Name
Password

Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 PM

Default Looking for honest opinions about selling my car

OK I have decided I have to sell. I have my 2nd daughter on the way and we just don't have the room in our house. I have to buy a bigger house or build on to this one. I have a delima. There are a few small issues I need to address on the car to get it ready mainly new top and carpet will make it close to perfect. I was just outside making a list of what to order and I just can't get past the paint. I know everyone that sees pics of my car thinks it looks great but the paint really is bad. Its the original paint and is cracked and crazed all over from light to heavy. I just keep thinking to get top dollar back out I need to paint it. There will be almost no body work just my time(which I don't have a lot of right now) and materials.

If someone is able to see pics of the car in bare metal am I better off being able to find someone that will want a nice slick new paint and pay more or original paint that not so good and pay less but still won't be cheap. I know if I can't sell it for a while I will be much happier with slick paint myself but it has to go so I can't think what I want.

Richard J.
If only I had the time talent and money to build everything in my head
Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,457 Times in 630 Posts

I am one guy who thinks original paint is a big plus; no hidden damage, any rust or previous repairs are readily seen. To me that's a selling point. Once it's painted you kinda have to take the guys word for it as far as how much damage was repaired under the paint, although detailed pics of the restoration helps a ton.

Unless you can get a killer deal on paint and body it may not pay for itself to get a sale.

Jody

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 03-05-2010, 11:57 PM

I don't think most buyers will agree with Jody. I would absolutely use that ammo when showing the car because it's and excellent point. I can't imagine repainting a car to try to increase profit unless it's a fairly high end build.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,457 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I don't think most buyers will agree with Jody. I would absolutely use that ammo when showing the car because it's and excellent point. I can't imagine repainting a car to try to increase profit unless it's a fairly high end build.
huh??!!!!!!!! It sounds like you're agreeing at the end.............

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 AM

First of all congratulations! i can totally relate to your decision and once a few months have passed you wont miss the car..

I would definately not paint the car, original paint is a big selling point to gearheads.. there is no hidden bodywork and who ever buys it can paint it whatever color they like

i would however spend some money/time on finishing all the little stuff... tidy up the enginebay.. it costs next to nothing but takes time

change the radiatorhoses, rubber lines, clean it meticulously.. do a complete detailing where ever visible... make sure the hose clamps arent rusty, and the correct size etc....

you should cut and buff the paint, and detail the hell out of it, polish the lenses and replace mismatched or rusty screws.

and get it up on a lift and steam clean it underneath and spray it with an enginebay detailing oil/solution

THEN take pictures and get all the bills and pics together so whoever comes to look at the car sees a meticulusly maintained original paint musclecar survivor, in original paint...

its money well spent, even if you pay somone to do it and it should be worth more resale wise than a paint job
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 AM

thanks guys ...Duece all of the above is done. The car was a detailed frame off build less paint. The only details left are top and carpet and a few seals. Thats what got me thinking about this again. I'm outside looking at it and I am having a hard time seeing myself installing that perfect rubber seal and it going back over cracked laquer.

Here is my thinking. I am trying to look at in the prospective of a potential buyer with this kind of money to spend and not how I personaly would buy a car beacuse I could not afford to buy it all in one lump sum done.

I would do everything except I might have one of the experienced painters at work spray it. I know I am never going to get all my money back but I never built the car to make money off of. Plus its an Olds and not a Chevelle. I tried but not hard at all about 3 months ago to sell it as is and with the ratty top and carpet that no longer fits because the center hump is taller for the 5 speed it was going to be easy to get mid 20's. based on a couple serious offers I had for it. If I can put another 1500.00 (plus my labor) in it for top carpet dynamat ect and get low 30's I would be OK with that but if I spend another $2500.00 in quality materials document the perfect bare metal body and paint it slick is that going to bring a different buyer to the table that might pay upper 30's or a little more

Richard J.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheads78 View Post
thanks guys ...Duece all of the above is done. The car was a detailed frame off build less paint. The only details left are top and carpet and a few seals. Thats what got me thinking about this again. I'm outside looking at it and I am having a hard time seeing myself installing that perfect rubber seal and it going back over cracked laquer.

Here is my thinking. I am trying to look at in the prospective of a potential buyer with this kind of money to spend and not how I personaly would buy a car beacuse I could not afford to buy it all in one lump sum done.

I would do everything except I might have one of the experienced painters at work spray it. I know I am never going to get all my money back but I never built the car to make money off of. Plus its an Olds and not a Chevelle. I tried but not hard at all about 3 months ago to sell it as is and with the ratty top and carpet that no longer fits because the center hump is taller for the 5 speed it was going to be easy to get mid 20's. based on a couple serious offers I had for it. If I can put another 1500.00 (plus my labor) in it for top carpet dynamat ect and get low 30's I would be OK with that but if I spend another $2500.00 in quality materials document the perfect bare metal body and paint it slick is that going to bring a different buyer to the table that might pay upper 30's or a little more
the math makes sense... if you can find that guy whove always wanted an olds cab and isnt a gearhead... a finished car is a must
Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Don't paint it! You will never get the return on your investment in the final price of the car.I'm not sure I would even invest in the new top. You are likely going to lose money on the car anyway, so any thing else you do it will just add to the amount you will lose. Just my .02
Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheads78 View Post

I think I would test the waters with your serious offers you had. I have been through the serious offer deal with people and when it comes time for them to pony up the cash things always seem to change. I had 2 guys that pestered me for 2 years to sell them my car and when I got serious about it they wanted to trade and negotiate. they approached me about it I never had it for sale, so I figured they were serious but in the end they weren't, not to mention the market is very soft right now.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
I think I would test the waters with your serious offers you had. I have been through the serious offer deal with people and when it comes time for them to pony up the cash things always seem to change. I had 2 guys that pestered me for 2 years to sell them my car and when I got serious about it they wanted to trade and negotiate. they approached me about it I never had it for sale, so I figured they were serious but in the end they weren't, not to mention the market is very soft right now.
One of the offers I know was solid it was from a dealer ready to cut me a check. The other was pretty close to his but has via emails from someone on EBAY so it might have been legit or might not. That being said I can't sell it that low so it does not matter. The whole purpose of selling it is to pay for the add ons to the house and that not going to be enough.

Richard J.