Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-23-2017, 06:10 PM

Default The 69 Chevelle Project...Gearjammer

The goal of our 1969 Chevelle is to take a base model Malibu and add in an alchemic blend of carefully selected components to create a well packaged Pro Touring G-Machine with a slight hint of toxicity. Current plans are to utilize a Speed Tech Extreme Chassis, LS power, Tremec 5 or 6 speed, Forgeline Wheels and a square 315 BF Goodrich Rival tire setup. This will be a personal fill-in project that we work on in-between customer vehicles. The coming months should allow us to hammer out all of the final details and start the wheels turning.

Or '71 C10, Project G-TR, gained quite a bit of attention over the last couple of years, and now we are going to build off of that and take the Chevelle to a completely different level. Stay tuned as we dig in.
Attached Images

Last edited by GEARBOXGARAGE; 08-14-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:42 PM

Woo Hoo, another Chevelle. This one will be fun to watch.

My Build Thread;

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40557
Old 01-30-2017, 07:15 PM

Here's another Chevelle we are working on for a customer. A '64 with an Art Morrison chassis and LS3. It's off to paint at the moment so we are starting in on a '38 Chevy Pickup for the same customer.
Attached Images

Last edited by GEARBOXGARAGE; 01-30-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:00 AM

We've been nailing down some details to get the rendering done on the Chevelle. Wheel choice has been narrowed down to either Forgeline RB3C or CF3C. Looking at the Matte Bronze finish, but having a hard time deciding which style to go with. Here's a few pics that I "barrowed" from the Forgeline website for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by GEARBOXGARAGE; 08-14-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Tough choice, Mike. I like the finish so that's one area that can be checked off. For design, I'm partial to open patterns like a 5 or 6 spoke rim. I'd get the rendering done with both rims styles so you can stare at them for some time. Good luck!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 04-23-2017, 01:41 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I agree on color choice of bronze. I love both wheels...those 2 models are my favorite. But, I'm partial to the RB3C. Actually thinking about ordering me a set myself with the center lock conversion.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 AM

Nice tribute to your dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARBOXGARAGE View Post
...Tremec 5 or 6 speed...
With a name like that it I'm so glad the car will have three pedals.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 PM

Cool build! The tribute part makes this even better!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Great to see another 69 Velle on here. Ill be following along. If and when you make that front bumper you will be getting a request for one more for mine!!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 PM

It's been a slow winter here, so I thought I would add a little filler until we get back into things for the project. I was able to make it to Indy for PRI and met with several of the vendors for components that I had an interest in. First stop was at the StopTech booth to meet up with Ron Sutton to make a few final decisions on the front end. Through-out the later part of 2017 we had been bouncing ideas back and forth and came to the decision to change from the original plan and build my own chassis vs. buying the SpeedTech one. My brother-in-law is a certified welder and between the 2 of us, we can fabricate the chassis at a much lower cost with Ron's TA2 components and end up with a great foundation. This will allow me to build in stages and keep the C10 on reserve for financing the drivetrain when we get to that point as that will be the biggest hit on the wallet. I do have to admit, seeing how well Aaron Oberle's G-Velle 2.0 came out was a big influence to go this direction on the chassis. Ron and I also discussed a couple of his engine packages and I think we have it narrowed down to the Level 3 625 HP package that he offers. This should be a good all-around motor that is still street-able yet plenty of power for autocross and occasional track days.
Ron and I also went over the StopTech brake package and discussed the new RideTech R-Joints. The little details are getting clearer...
While at PRI, I also wanted to check out the HAYS Dragon Claw clutch. One of the engineers that helped develop this unit was on hand and he was able to share some great info. I also stopped by the Forgeline booth to look at the RB3C wheel a little closer. Definitely like the design of this wheel.

As the build thread progresses, I also thought I would share some of the stories of the original Gear Jammer. Here's a quick one to get started:
During Christmas, our family gathers at my parents for the annual dinner and presents. My Dad had showed me his ZIPPO from when he served. It was a gift from the Captain of his unit. On the front is the the War Bonnet crest of the 14th Field Artillery unit he was with, along with his CB handle GEARJAMMER engraved on it. On the back, his unit designation, along with these words are engraved: "FOR THOSE WHO FIGHT FOR IT FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED NEVER TASTE".
Attached Images

fleetus macmullitz (03-15-2019), Roscoe03 (05-30-2019)